Centre Backs Balance

Bridgford Ram

With the calamity defence errors on Saturday at the Grimsby game, let us just hope that PC now sees how poor Keogh, Shotton and Christie really are in defence - and that is against non league opposition!

Lets us call time on those three and move them out-we cannot have this type of defending again next season, it did cost us in the last 10 games of last season.

The calamity of the Grimsby game proves things now have to change, we cannot have a repeat of the keystone cops from August onwards, WE NEED A CB who can read the game, can marshal the defence and lead by example!

Baird should now be installed as RB with Fozzy LB -  a new CB with the either Bucko or Spaniard in the middle.

Oh, get a fecking grip, you son of a silly person.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The goals had nothing to do with fitness, nothing to do not being sharp [are you saying Grimsby's part timers are sharper] - those goals were basic defensive errors yet again, [not being able to read the game, knowing who you are marking, picking up players etc] the same type of errors we had in the last 10 games of the season.

Shocking defending once again.

Grimsby had already played 3 pre-season games prior to our encounter so yes, they probably were sharper...

It'll always take a little bit of time for the players to refind their form, Tom Ince didn't score a hat-trick so why aren't you slating him, after all, it was only against ''part timers''?

I'm not saying that there were no defensive errors, just that it's remarkably stupid to judge a player based on these mistakes given the circumstances of the game. At least wait until after the Bolton game to start making assertions that our players can't defend because I can almost assure you that there will be drastic improvements by then, simply due to increased game time for the players and their consequential re-finding of fitness and form.

Oh, get a fecking grip, you son of a silly person.

I don't think I've even seen Super post anything that suggests he has any sort of "grip".

Most conference teams have full time pros...

and the answer to his question would still be yes anyway. Of course they are :mellow:

I don't think I've even seen Super post anything that suggests he has any sort of "grip".

Still not convinced he's not a gump

Not being able to read the game,  and against non league for gods shake !

Yep, against Postmen or whatever there proper jobs are!

Look this performance was against non league opposition, regardless of excuses of its only a friendly, players don't want to pick up injuries, it was they way we conceeded those goals, we still have not learned anything from last seasons woeful defending. It like we have just continued where we left off!

I bet PC is thinking I have gone from Ramos to Keogh in such a short time , its like trading in your Rolls for a Lada...........This cannot go on.......... time for the change!

You do realise Grimsby were in the championship a few years ago right? Shotton was to blame for the second anyway, Keogh even told him what to do and he didn't. Keogh needs a solid partner, defenses are units that are exposed as soon as they get a weak link.

the defeat was bad, but Its the manner in the way we let those goals in  - it was like we have had no coaching on how to defend since last May   - god knowa what PC thought of it!

What... you mean it's like the players haven't been in training? Like maybe they've been on a summer break? Like maybe there's a brand spanking new coaching team in place? Like maybe they're all getting used to a new system and a new way of playing?

Well... who would have thought that? I honestly thought that having not trained for a month or so they'd be BETTER defenders... right away... after all, people don't need time to adapt to new things do they?

All will come clearer as the first team starts picking itself and we see how PC  shapes up .Far too early to be making judgements on any one performance,my concerns will be after the 5 or 6 games into the season if the team are not meeting our expectations,obviously disappointed with the result but sure PC learnt a lot from the game

What... you mean it's like the players haven't been in training? Like maybe they've been on a summer break? Like maybe there's a brand spanking new coaching team in place? Like maybe they're all getting used to a new system and a new way of playing?

Well... who would have thought that? I honestly thought that having not trained for a month or so they'd be BETTER defenders... right away... after all, people don't need time to adapt to new things do they?

There many threads on this forum regarding the poor defending from March till the Reading game -with sorts of excuses, it was all down to Mac and Toon etc, players playing out of position, players conferdance shot- well that does not wash with the Grimsby game.

Adapt to new things? New system?

The goals that went in were nothing to do with fitness levels, it was basic defending or lack of it, we are back where we were in March needing to score 3 to win a game.

It was only apre season friendly you say, well what has actually changed from the shambles of the last 10 games of last season? We still have defenders not being able to defend and that was against a very weak team [no offence intended Grimsby town] - I only hope things change for the Northampton game.

We only have 3 to 4 weeks before the season starts!

the defeat was bad, but Its the manner in the way we let those goals in  - it was like we have had no coaching on how to defend since last May   - god knowa what PC thought of it!

You wouldn't catch Mancienne or Hobbs defending like that, would you super reds rams?

In a central defensive pairing, one should be the centre half who goes first to deal with the threat, the other should cover.

when keogh and shotton play, you'd expect shotton to be the centre half and keogh to cover, but keogh seems to want to take ownership of any situation and to rush to meet the danger whilst shotton seems clueless about how to react and cover. It won't work unless they swap roles or find a better covering player. 

I'm not sure that albentosa or buxton or shackell is a natural sweeper....and i haven't yet seen Pearce.

maybe keogh rushes forward because he doesn't trust his partner to deal with the initial danger, but he is probably be the most natural sweeper. if he could just resist the urge to charge forward and instead drop off and let the other big lump attack the initial danger maybe we could get a pairing to work but it  seems that Keogh naturally wants to be the centre half and he wants his partners either side to cover him.

I disagree, I think he is much better going to deal with the danger, Buxton is the slower of the two and their partnership worked because he was much more effectively offering cover. Shotton's positioning is just horrendous. It's not his speed or even ability. He's just caught out every single time when he's covering.

There many threads on this forum regarding the poor defending from March till the Reading game -with sorts of excuses, it was all down to Mac and Toon etc, players playing out of position, players conferdance shot- well that does not wash with the Grimsby game.

Adapt to new things? New system?

The goals that went in were nothing to do with fitness levels, it was basic defending or lack of it, we are back where we were in March needing to score 3 to win a game.

It was only apre season friendly you say, well what has actually changed from the shambles of the last 10 games of last season? We still have defenders not being able to defend and that was against a very weak team [no offence intended Grimsby town] - I only hope things change for the Northampton game.

We only have 3 to 4 weeks before the season starts!

It's a long time in football.

Stop being so worried about our FIRST PRESEASON game. Clement hardly knows the squad. Give him time to learn what works and what doesn't - this isn't FIFA or Football manager. He's been here all of a month.

Opposition means nothing, it was a preseason friendly. Our players won't be that sharp and are far from their best.

The whole point of preseason is for the players to regain match fitness in a live game environment. Results mean nothing.

Why will we be "not that sharp" and they will be? Not saying that pre season matters or not but if they arent fitter than a team of part timers then there is somethign wrong.

Why will we be "not that sharp" and they will be? Not saying that pre season matters or not but if they arent fitter than a team of part timers then there is somethign wrong.

They've already played 3 pre-season games, hence they're more ''match-fit'' than we are...

Not being able to read the game,  and against non league for gods shake !

Yep, against Postmen or whatever there proper jobs are!

Look this performance was against non league opposition, regardless of excuses of its only a friendly, players don't want to pick up injuries, it was they way we conceeded those goals, we still have not learned anything from last seasons woeful defending. It like we have just continued where we left off!

I bet PC is thinking I have gone from Ramos to Keogh in such a short time , its like trading in your Rolls for a Lada...........This cannot go on.......... time for the change!

Again. The first goal was rinners from midfield. 4 men in our box and 3 defenders to mark them while 2 midfielders, Hanson and Thorne are 10 yards in front. 

Your obsession with Keogh is quite funny. I don't even especially rate him but when it's his fault it's his fault and when it's somebody else's fault it's his fault for not telling them what to do!!! lol. 

It's his fault that Ince, Bent, Calero, and Hughes couldn't find the net against these "postmen" 

It's a pre season friendly. If it was about results then we wouldn't bother playing them would we. We'd just jump straight to the season. 

Archived