Centre Backs Balance

Bridgford Ram

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few people suggesting Ssewankambo.

What is this based on? Only asking as I have not seen him play yet and have no idea what he is all about.

Cool name.

Shame we got rid of Marino Rahmberg and Tonton Zola Moukoko

Awesome CM0102 player - captained my Scunny team to three successive Champions Leagues.

With the calamity defence errors on Saturday at the Grimsby game, let us just hope that PC now sees how poor Keogh, Shotton and Christie really are in defence - and that is against non league opposition!

Lets us call time on those three and move them out-we cannot have this type of defending again next season, it did cost us in the last 10 games of last season.

The calamity of the Grimsby game proves things now have to change, we cannot have a repeat of the keystone cops from August onwards, WE NEED A CB who can read the game, can marshal the defence and lead by example!

Baird should now be installed as RB with Fozzy LB -  a new CB with the either Bucko or Spaniard in the middle.

In a central defensive pairing, one should be the centre half who goes first to deal with the threat, the other should cover.

when keogh and shotton play, you'd expect shotton to be the centre half and keogh to cover, but keogh seems to want to take ownership of any situation and to rush to meet the danger whilst shotton seems clueless about how to react and cover. It won't work unless they swap roles or find a better covering player. 

I'm not sure that albentosa or buxton or shackell is a natural sweeper....and i haven't yet seen Pearce.

maybe keogh rushes forward because he doesn't trust his partner to deal with the initial danger, but he is probably be the most natural sweeper. if he could just resist the urge to charge forward and instead drop off and let the other big lump attack the initial danger maybe we could get a pairing to work but it  seems that Keogh naturally wants to be the centre half and he wants his partners either side to cover him.

In a central defensive pairing, one should be the centre half who goes first to deal with the threat, the other should cover.

when keogh and shotton play, you'd expect shotton to be the centre half and keogh to cover, but keogh seems to want to take ownership of any situation and to rush to meet the danger whilst shotton seems clueless about how to react and cover. It won't work unless they swap roles or find a better covering player. 

I'm not sure that albentosa or buxton or shackell is a natural sweeper....and i haven't yet seen Pearce.

maybe keogh rushes forward because he doesn't trust his partner to deal with the initial danger, but he is probably be the most natural sweeper. if he could just resist the urge to charge forward and instead drop off and let the other big lump attack the initial danger maybe we could get a pairing to work but it  seems that Keogh naturally wants to be the centre half and he wants his partners either side to cover him.

Cover + stopper partnership used to work 20 years ago.

Modern football just happens to be so fast, that both CB's shoud be able to do both roles. Otherwise there's way too much room for forwards. That of course is only my opinion.

With the calamity defence errors on Saturday at the Grimsby game, let us just hope that PC now sees how poor Keogh, Shotton and Christie really are in defence - and that is against non league opposition!

Lets us call time on those three and move them out-we cannot have this type of defending again next season, it did cost us in the last 10 games of last season.

The calamity of the Grimsby game proves things now have to change, we cannot have a repeat of the keystone cops from August onwards, WE NEED A CB who can read the game, can marshal the defence and lead by example!

Baird should now be installed as RB with Fozzy LB -  a new CB with the either Bucko or Spaniard in the middle.

The first goal was down to runners not picked up from midfield.

Calamity of the Grimsby game? It was a pre season friendly.  

The first goal was down to runners not picked up from midfield.

Calamity of the Grimsby game? It was a pre season friendly.  

Not being able to read the game,  and against non league for gods shake !

Yep, against Postmen or whatever there proper jobs are!

Look this performance was against non league opposition, regardless of excuses of its only a friendly, players don't want to pick up injuries, it was they way we conceeded those goals, we still have not learned anything from last seasons woeful defending. It like we have just continued where we left off!

I bet PC is thinking I have gone from Ramos to Keogh in such a short time , its like trading in your Rolls for a Lada...........This cannot go on.......... time for the change!

Not being able to read the game,  and against non league for gods shake !

Yep, against Postmen or whatever there proper jobs are!

Look this performance was against non league opposition, regardless of excuses of its only a friendly, players don't want to pick up injuries, it was they way we conceeded those goals, we still have not learned anything from last seasons woeful defending. It like we have just continued where we left off!

I bet PC is thinking I have gone from Ramos to Keogh in such a short time , its like trading in your Rolls for a Lada...........This cannot go on.......... time for the change!

Opposition means nothing, it was a preseason friendly. Our players won't be that sharp and are far from their best.

The whole point of preseason is for the players to regain match fitness in a live game environment. Results mean nothing.

Opposition means nothing, it was a preseason friendly. Our players won't be that sharp and are far from their best.

The whole point of preseason is for the players to regain match fitness in a live game environment. Results mean nothing.

The goals had nothing to do with fitness, nothing to do not being sharp [are you saying Grimsby's part timers are sharper] - those goals were basic defensive errors yet again, [not being able to read the game, knowing who you are marking, picking up players etc] the same type of errors we had in the last 10 games of the season.

Shocking defending once again.

Archived