Centre Backs Balance

Bridgford Ram

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A death in my family mate, was dealing with that and something else. I'm ok now. Thanks for asking. 

I'm sorry to hear about that.Hope you and your family are coping. Never nice to hear about deaths especially when they are associated with fellow fans.

Quite right. It's a relatively high risk footballing defence. Another poster analysed it spot on - our system pushes 2 centre backs relatively wide and so we need the CDM to drop to make a 3. Thorne was the master of this at the back end of the 2013-2014 season. When that doesn't happen the gaps are too great and everyone is playing scurry and catch-up.

we need to stop that tactic of splitting the centre backs.

we need to decide who is centre half and who is sweeper,

one attacks the ball, one has pace.

finally we need to be sure that the left side CB is comfortable on the left, and the right side CB should be comfortable on the right

it was interesting to read in roy macs biography that he was a left footed CB who preferred to play on the right, and that Bobby Moore was a right footed CB  who preferred to play on the left.

we need to stop that tactic of splitting the centre backs.

we need to decide who is centre half and who is sweeper,

one attacks the ball, one has pace.

finally we need to be sure that the left side CB is comfortable on the left, and the right side CB should be comfortable on the right

it was interesting to read in roy macs biography that he was a left footed CB who preferred to play on the right, and that Bobby Moore was a right footed CB  who preferred to play on the left.

In the 2013-2014 system, we seemed to have a sort of "drift" defence in that Fozzie would bomb on, but Wisdom stayed back and he plus Keogh and Buxton drifted across to make a kind of back 3.

Although the stats (goals conceded) say otherwise, that feels like a more balanced system than 2 go charging up, CBs split and one comes back.

Archived