Richard Keogh

Smiffy2491

Ideally no-one would move and we'd get Ince and Shackell + Bridcutt + Messi, but if this sale helped bring them in then it'd have to be a cya later.

Fixed.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd sell him for 4 million, some of that can be spent of Ince and Shackell. I really think that Albentosa will be a beast this season based on what I've seen in him in la liga. We can't judge Albentosa until he has played in his favoured rcb position.

For me, Keogh is the type of defender McClaren's system needed and why, if we keep a similar system in place, we might struggle to replace him. 

We were/are a side that likes to monopolise possession. We build from the back and camp in the oppositions half. Our centre-halves need(ed) to be, at bare minimum, competent on the ball. On occasions even this wouldn't do. I think back to the 2-2 draw with Cardiff when, despite making 82 accurate passes, Zak Whitbread (in my opinion our all-round best defender) was heavily criticised for not moving the ball on quickly enough and allowing Cardiff to push out. Keogh is exceptional on the ball, for this division at least. 

Also, due to that style of play, opposition attacks would often be counter-attacks. Keogh has pace and is good at making recovery tackles. 

Contrast this with Albentosa, who defensively is probably far better than Keogh. It's no surprise that Albentosa, very slow and poor on the ball, has looked poor for us despite looking quality in a better league than ours. Probably because Eibar like to defend deep. 

It's not about Richard Keogh the individual, it's about whether Richard Keogh makes us a better team. Compared the competition, I think he does. 

Funnily enough though, I thought Keogh was dog-**** the year he won fans' POTY. 

Yes but what clowns picked the team of the year and left out the player of the year

Derby FANS were really upset that one of OUR players got into the team of the year!

We as fans deserved the last 3 months of the season that's for sure.

Hope we've learnt our lesson and support the players better next season.

Derby FANS were really upset that one of OUR players got into the team of the year!

We as fans deserved the last 3 months of the season that's for sure.

Hope we've learnt our lesson ands support the players better next season.

Agree. The thread turned from a few congratulations to outrage. 

I don't think he's that good or that bad to have extreme views on either way.

I don't understand how he can be labeled as garbage. He isn't.  He's just alright.

I really don't think the quality of a player should be judged on whether they make it into the team of the season. David Luiz was voted the best centre back in the world for 2014 for heaven's sake by his fellow professionals

that must have been for a laugh he's 

I don't get some Derby fans, this guy is a very good centre back and the amount of stick he gets is unreal. I keep seeing people say they would have albentosa over keogh for next season! That is a joke I don't get how people can say they'd have albentosa who in the games he played was awful then we have keogh who has been supporters player of the year and in the team o the year this season. Drives me mad and I think people will only realise how good he was when he isn't here!

Is he a very good centre back? I would say he's a centre back with the attributes that could make him a very good one. Sadly, he's a massive liability in massive games. Cannot stay on his feet, does not read the game, his whole game is based on reaction. We don't need that.

I honestly hope he stays, I'd hardly blame our dramatic run of poor form on him. He was by far our best defender last season and probably the season before also. A couple of mistakes and everybody's flashbacks to Wembley have just made Keogh the scapegoat. He's a good defender. Better than alot of our fans think.

(That being said, £4m though...:blink:)

This is why keogh has been wanted by prem teams for two years in a row and shackell is wanted by Derby in the championship? 

One has actually PLAYED in the top flight and more than held his own, being among the highest amount of blocks and tackles made. The other has struggled in the second flight at times and cocked up the best opportunity to get us promoted. Can you genuinely imagine Keogh playing against the likes of Sanchez, Silva and Hazard and managing to keep them quiet?

Again, I'm a fan of Keogh AT THIS LEVEL but I can't honestly believe (or at least with a straight face anyway) that you can't name a CB who represents more value for £4m. Either that or your knowledge of football is very limited. No offence.

Archived