Time for a new club anthem?

This topic has probably been done to death but i haven't been on here long, so i wouldn't know! :D

Is anyone else bored to tears of Steve Bloomers Watching song? Its bloody dreadful,  Lame lyrics, lame tune, and to top it off this years version has increased in speed half way through, throwing the timing of the clap and singing completely off.

Simply no one bothers even singing anymore. Its blasted out every game pre kick off and the only time this song generates any noise is against Forest. it doesn't get me fired up before a match, in fact it has the opposite effect, it deflates me!

Anyone else agree its time for a change?!

...this sounds more dramatic that i intended it to lol. If you could change the club anthem, what would you change it too?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve Bloomer's Watching just needs speeding up bit so we can all clap along at the same tempo. The slow clapping we all do sounds almost sarcastic when it first starts up, and by the end everyone's found a natural rhythm that's way off the actual tune.

You can't just scrap a anthem because your bored, do you think Liverpool are bored to tears of "You'll never walk alone" after all these years?

It really isn't that bad a song, we are lucky to even have one - opposition fans rate it too, check the comments on Youtube.

I don't mind Steve Bloomer song

We just do it crap.

We start off with the enthusiasm a student might have for ironing. A weary look on our faces like we're applauding the lucky winner of a years supply of ipro. 

Then you really start to see who the premature ejaculators are among us. They get fed up with the foreplay and want to be rolling over and going to sleep. 

A verse later and in come the real men. The ones that want a mirror on the bedroom ceiling. The powerful claps can be heard on Allenton spider island. But these are real men. And real men don't do coming second. So a race kicks off. Oh, I'll do the job properly but I want to show how fast it can be done.

Gone are the weary looks now. The premature ejaculators are back for another go now, less enthusiastically it has to be said. 

The race is on. The alpha males come through first. 

dum dum dumdumdum DERBY!! 

I'll skip a few claps. I won't be beaten!!

dumdum DERBY!!

ERBY!!

BY!!

And amongst all that are those that just dissapointment wives and girlfriends 3 times per week. They're back with a pathetic "darby"

You can't just scrap a anthem because your bored, do you think Liverpool are bored to tears of "You'll never walk alone" after all these years?

It really isn't that bad a song, we are lucky to even have one - opposition fans rate it too, check the comments on Youtube.

​Pehaps bored was the wrong word... the point i was trying to make, is that surely there's a better anthem out there than our existing one? i mean its not very imaginative is it? "Steve bloomers watching helping us fight guiding our heroes in the black and the white" repeat several times followed by a big cry of "Derby!!"..

Some local Derby musicians need to get on this!

I personally can't stand it, but it is original and its ours. I would love a better song though.

I think the 10 minutes before kick off should have no music to allow fans to build the atmosphere on their own.

​Believe this was trialled at a night match last season although i cant remember which game it was... it definitely happened though, and It didn't make a difference.

Saying that they really should have trialled it on a Saturday, in a more important local match. On the occasion the silence occurred, i don't remember there being many away fans at all. so naturally not as much atmosphere as you would generate normally.

They should try it again in the future, or atleast turn it down abit! i have to literally shout so the person next to me can hear what im saying!

and to top it off this years version has increased in speed half way through, throwing the timing of the clap and singing completely off.

​Glad someone else has noticed this. I think it was the right thing to do, to speed it up, as the crowd always sings it much quicker than the incredibly slow original that they play.

BUT they should just speed the whole thing up - not mess with the tempo half way through!

​Glad someone else has noticed this. I think it was the right thing to do, to speed it up, as the crowd always sings it much quicker than the incredibly slow original that they play.

BUT they should just speed the whole thing up - not mess with the tempo half way through!

​Hmmm actually i Think the anthem would be much improved if we scrapped this clapping lark, atleast until the end! and played the full original. More meaningful lyrics. More reference to the glory days etc.

"Carter, Doherty, were names to thrill the crowd, if you love or hate us, just wait until we score. The ball goes in, the stands line up and how the mighty roar! come on derby come on derby! Steve Bloomers watching."

Reckon it would be louder, slower, and have more impact!

WHAT YOU SAYING?!

Archived