Mel Morris - New Chairman

cosmic

Derby County Football Club is pleased to announce that Mel Morris has been named as chairman with immediate effect. 

He replaces Andy Appleby as chairman, who will continue in his role as director.

The well-known local businessman, 59, joined the ownership group and became a director in May 2014.

He took up a significant minority shareholding within the club and joined as a co-lead investor.

Morris is regarded by many as Derby’s most successful businessman and his presence in and around the club has increased during the last 12 months, not just on matchdays but also during the week at both the iPro Stadium and the Training Centre.

He has been largely responsible for the recent substantial developments at the Derby County Training Centre which were pivotal to the club achieving Category One status.

“For many years we have been searching for the perfect local Derby partner to eventually succeed me as club chairman,” said Appleby.

“In Mel Morris we have found not just a terrific partner, but also a man who is truly passionate about Derby County Football Club. 

“I am extremely proud of what we have accomplished and the stability that our ownership group has helped to create over these last eight years - and now look forward to continuing to do all that I can to help the club in its goal to get back to the Premier League.”

Morris also has substantial investments in other local businesses, including BriefYourMarket and Serious Sports Technology Ltd as well as substantial shareholdings in Restoration Partners and King Digital Entertainment Plc, the company behind the range of highly successful smartphone and mobile games such as Candy Crush Saga, Farm Heroes Saga and Papa Pear Saga. Besides being a former owner and director of Derby County, Morris was also the founder and CEO of other substantial Derby-based businesses including The Mickleover Court Hotel, Minitech, Prometrics, uDate and Prevx.

Morris said: “I chose to invest in Derby County last year, two days before the play-off final.

“A key factor in that decision was the superb executive team led by Sam Rush and the significant improvements that had followed the appointment of Steve McClaren as head coach.

“In spite of a disappointing end to last season I am extremely excited that we can promptly get back on course with our goal to develop Derby County into a professional football club capable of achieving a sustainable place in the Premier League.

“The recent appointment of Paul Clement as head coach, and the additions planned for his back office team are pivotal to this next phase of our journey. I very much look forward to working with Sam, Paul, Chris Evans and Darren Wassall in relentlessly pursuing our goal while ensuring the vital links between our academy and first team continue.”

Derby County’s President & Chief Executive Sam Rush commented: “I am very much looking forward to working alongside Mel in his new role as chairman of Derby County Football Club.

“Since his arrival onto the board just over a year ago we have formed a strong working relationship, which bodes well for the future.

“Andy Appleby has served as our chairman since 2008 and our thanks go to him for his great contribution and stewardship of the club.”

Read more at http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/mel-morris-confirmed-as-derby-county-chairman-2480720.aspx#bWgJBJ5TAl6hTYUp.99

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks good, with a local Chairman again possessing a deep passion for the club and the area, and willingness to invest time and money in DCFC.

Another reason for the new season to look more promising than it did a month ago!

Thanks due to Andy Appleby for his steady stewardship and for the support to Sam Rush & team.

Now the focus can rightly switch to Clement and his regime, and the squad composition for (another) assault on the top of the table!

Archived