Mel Morris - New Chairman

cosmic

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's his background as a Derby supporter?

Did he have a season ticket when he was younger? Been to many games?

​He wants us in the PL so we're on telly more and he can watch us from his mansion.

Quarter fan.

that's how it was reported at the time however I can remember many discussions about GSE's management fees etc... And the ownership group. GSE have never owned us, there has always been a group of owners who funded the purchase and used GSE to manage their investment. Appleby and Glick had shares but GSE as a company did not own us.

@ramblur might be able to confirm my opinion on this or not.

​A new company, General Sports Derby Partners LLC  (note,not General Sports &Entertainment),and recently re named North American Derby Partners, was set up to take the various investments.The SEC document I unearthed some years ago clearly set out the objectives:- to buy stock in the newly formed General Sports Derby (UK) Ltd,which in turn would buy stock in Gellaw and thus give ownership of the club (well,93% at the time,because of AP). I can't remember if AA's stock holding in GSDP was in his own name,or via his company,GSE-it doesn't really matter,because it was a minority stake.So,yes,davenport,I believe you to be correct and believe that journalists have misinterpreted the situation.

The fairly modest GSE management fees probably reflect the work done by AA on behalf of the club.It's fairly clear,by deduction, that AA isn't a paid director of the club,so this seems entirely reasonable.

MM,SR and the company,North American Derby Partners are the registered shareholders of Global Derby (UK)Ltd (formerly GS Derby (UK) Ltd),with NADP owning over 90% as at 30/11/14.I would imagine that AA holds the proxy vote for NADP,who will have their own board,and it wouldn't surprise me if the constituent members of same also appear on the boards of Global Derby,Gellaw and DCFC.

In order to up his stake (without buying new shares),MM would have to buy out some of these Global Derby shares owned by NADP,and I would assume he would first have to approach AA with any proposals,who in turn would (if he thought appropriate) put the proposals to the NADP board. Should they agree to sell x Global Derby shares,then the sale proceeds would land in NADP  , for distribution amongst selling parties in that company.

At the moment,SR and MM appear to be separate entities outside the NADP umbrella (much as AP was).The only possible divergence to the above would be for MM to be allowed to buy stock in NADP direct,but this seems highly unlikely (and messy) to me -if this were the case,why wasn't he allowed to buy into this company at the outset?

Apart from any facts given,the above represents my considered opinion only.

Ownership of Global Derby stock gives ownership of Gellaw stock,which in turn wholly owns DCFC Ltd.

​Can't see anywhere on that website that General Sports & Entertainment claim to own the club. All I know is that our ultimate parent company is North American Derby Partners LP ( and I've only just noticed that it wasn't just a name change,but a change in status from 'LLC' to 'LP' ), and that this company is the majority shareholder of Global Derby (UK) Ltd (and,by extension,Gellaw & DCFC).

​Can't see anywhere on that website that General Sports & Entertainment claim to own the club. All I know is that our ultimate parent company is North American Derby Partners LP ( and I've only just noticed that it wasn't just a name change,but a change in status from 'LLC' to 'LP' ), and that this company is the majority shareholder of Global Derby (UK) Ltd (and,by extension,Gellaw & DCFC).

​Fair enough , I just wonder why they are showing the Ipro and Moor Farm on their site .

Is Moor Farm still run as a separate entity , it  was at one time I believe. .

​Fair enough , I just wonder why they are showing the Ipro and Moor Farm on their site .

Is Moor Farm still run as a separate entity , it  was at one time I believe. .

​Possibly because the company has provided commercial/marketing expertise ? Listen, I can't blame anyone for thinking that GSE are the owners and will acknowledge that they are likely investors in North American Derby Partners LP. However,as this investment is almost certainly a minority position,it would be a pretty big leap from there to considering them our owners.I suppose I should refer to NADP as a partnership from now on,yet another mistake to add to my recent portfolio.

Don't know about Moor Farm,but I've a feeling the stadium was once spun off into a separate company (possibly at the outset).

Okay guys the observant among you will have noticed that this thread has shrunk a bit. The reason should be pretty obvious so I dont expect any questions about it.

And backon topic

MM is our Leader

Dav, I do appreciate that we need to be mindful of what we say, and personally I wouldn't want to say anything that could get the site or Daveo into trouble, but this is the second time in a week now that a whole bunch of posts have been deleted, not for making defamatory remarks about MM but for speaking out in his favour? My posts were the last lot and it was the same mod involved as today's fall out.

So I'm confused. Please would you clarify?

Archived