Alton Towers Crash

LesterRam

I always wanted to try it next time I go.. You just have to take your chances my guess is that hundred of thousands go on that ride each year and only have 1 hiccup a year on average. the HAS will rip this apart thoe it will need something done now.

I'm one of them front row seat guys I love them. Once I got right mardy with my missus as she wouldn't go on Air when we finally got to the ride. I made her go on and she loved it.. Story of people who hate rollercoasters!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do hope the 'devastation' of the melton hierarchy is genuine though. I can believe it would be. If I owned a theme park, the point is to provide people with fun and excitement, you don't get into that business to maim people.

If you own an airline, then you know jta a risk a plane might crash. And if you get on a plane, you accept that risk too. Airlines have whole teams of people making sure a crash costs them as little as possible in terms of compensation. 

But if I owned Merlin, I'd be properly gutted, and would want to push the boat out (as far as it is within the realms of affordability, which shouldn be an issue for a company like merlin), to see these people are looked after and massively compensated. 

As it is though, they probably have a similar team of lawyers working in how to make compo as cost effective as possible.

There's a question though: would you sacrafice a leg for a lottery win?

​Pretty sure I heard on the telly today it's gonna be shut again tomorrow (Thursday) check it out before you leave home mate. 

​It's going to be shut until they find out what went wrong.

The CEO (Nick Varney) made a strange statement...

"At this point I don't know if it was a technological or human error".

Any rollercoaster ride in the world which allows a carriage to depart while another one is stationary on the track has failed from a technological sense, even if it is being operated by a minimum-wage school-leaver. Whereas you would dearly love to blame 'human error', I am pretty sure that the problem will lie with the ride and its fail-safe mechanisms.

Right but back on topic this was a nasty crash and I hope the victims get well soon. 

​looking at the chequered career of this ride I am hoping it never works again, it was having technical difficulties before it crashed.

this thing can travel at 50mph, when you crash in a car it has crumple zones and airbags which takes out most of the impact, this bad boy hit a stationary object with no protection.

Any rollercoaster ride in the world which allows a carriage to depart while another one is stationary on the track has failed from a technological sense, even if it is being operated by a minimum-wage school-leaver. Whereas you would dearly love to blame 'human error', I am pretty sure that the problem will lie with the ride and its fail-safe mechanisms.

​The only way it could possibly be attributed to human error is if someone has overridden the failsafe.

​The only way it could possibly be attributed to human error is if someone has overridden the failsafe.

​A failsafe that can be overridden is not a failsafe.

​Fancy putting the guilt on the human operator. What a *****.

Archived