Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread

South Ram

​I'd rather have another striker in the mould of Martin than someone to throw on if you need to score a goal. Whilst Bent rescued points coming off the bench, we also fell to pieces completely when Martin was injured. With Martin or even a Martin-style striker (creative, draws fouls, good with back to goal) playing the last 15 games I think we'd be comfortably in the top 6. 

If we could guarantee Martin never has another injury, I'd want Bent, of course. But if Martin has another significant injury next season I think we'd severely regret pursuing Bent over someone like Wood.

​I'd also suggest that a lot of people have called for a 'Plan B'... which is what Bent is...

You can either stick him alongside Martin  or play him up top on his own which means your midfield play through balls rather than playing up to the holding man...

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​I'd rather have another striker in the mould of Martin than someone to throw on if you need to score a goal. Whilst Bent rescued points coming off the bench, we also fell to pieces completely when Martin was injured. With Martin or even a Martin-style striker (creative, draws fouls, good with back to goal) playing the last 15 games I think we'd be comfortably in the top 6. 

If we could guarantee Martin never has another injury, I'd want Bent, of course. But if Martin has another significant injury next season I think we'd severely regret pursuing Bent over someone like Wood.

​As @cheron85 just stated, having a striker in a different mould to Martin would be the plan B. Martin has had one injury since he's been here, if all goes to plan he would start every game for us. That means if we got a striker in Martin's mould, e.g Chris Wood, he would be restricted to 10 minutes here and there when games are already sewn up. It would be difficult to convince a striker of proven quality or reputation to sit on the bench for cameos or wait for Martin to get injured. The most successful sides have a variety of options, Martin is a hold-up striker that can bring other plays into the attack, as well as scoring a few goals himself. Bent is very much a poacher who can get you a goal from absolutely nowhere, as proved v Brentford. I feel it's important we do have a mix of Martin + 1 or even 2 different types of strikers to succeed.

​As @cheron85 just stated, having a striker in a different mould to Martin would be the plan B. Martin has had one injury since he's been here, if all goes to plan he would start every game for us. That means if we got a striker in Martin's mould, e.g Chris Wood, he would be restricted to 10 minutes here and there when games are already sewn up. It would be difficult to convince a striker of proven quality or reputation to sit on the bench for cameos or wait for Martin to get injured. The most successful sides have a variety of options, Martin is a hold-up striker that can bring other plays into the attack, as well as scoring a few goals himself. Bent is very much a poacher who can get you a goal from absolutely nowhere, as proved v Brentford. I feel it's important we do have a mix of Martin + 1 or even 2 different types of strikers to succeed.

​The ideal would be getting Bent and Wood. But I doubt we have the space on the bench to accommodate both. We'd either have to find ourselves a hybrid dm/cm (Luongo?) or go without a recognised winger. Although maybe Dawkins could be used as a back-up cm and winger.

​The ideal would be getting Bent and Wood. But I doubt we have the space on the bench to accommodate both. We'd either have to find ourselves a hybrid dm/cm (Luongo?) or go without a recognised winger. Although maybe Dawkins could be used as a back-up cm and winger.

Dawkins might not be here next season. 

After being the man that told Schteve to sign Ince, Lingard and Ibe... I thought I'd give him a hand this summer too. 

Tom Thorpe - Manchester United - I'd look at signing him permanently. I doubt he's got a future at United but he's a very good player. I'd have him over Blackett and McNair personally.

James Wilson - Manchester United - It's a bit of an obvious one, I know. I think as soon as he gets his contract sorted at United then he would be a perfect loan option. He'll be 20 next season and has it all to prove. 

Nick Powell - Manchester United - I'd have him to play the Martin role. He's a big lad, incredible first touch and has the natural ability to find a man. I don't think he's got a future at Old Trafford anymore but I'd take him in a heartbeat. 

Lewis Baker - Chelsea - He was the standout in the U21 two years ago with Ibe and he's done well for MK. If we lose a centre midfielder and looking for someone to come in on a cheap deal who could make an impact, I'd look to him. 

Dominic Solanke - Chelsea - I don't think it would be possible but it'd be interesting to get him in a Derby shirt. I'm convinced he will go on to be the best striker of his generation. Unbelievable talent. Even Izzy Brown wouldn't be a bad shout.

In fact, there is a few at Chelsea we could use.... 

Jose Pozo - Man City - He's one of the standouts in the youth league. I don't know where he would fit in our system, but if we changed it around then certainly stands a chance of making an impact.

Jason Denayer - Man City - Defender and a bloody good one at that. I doubt a deal is possible, though. 

Andre Wisdom - Liverpool - Obviously. 

I'd buy Tom Thorpe, Andre Wisdom and Nick Powell. I would then loan Wilson, Denayer, Solanke and Baker. 

Easy. 

:D

After being the man that told Schteve to sign Ince, Lingard and Ibe... I thought I'd give him a hand this summer too. 

Tom Thorpe - Manchester United - I'd look at signing him permanently. I doubt he's got a future at United but he's a very good player. I'd have him over Blackett and McNair personally.

James Wilson - Manchester United - It's a bit of an obvious one, I know. I think as soon as he gets his contract sorted at United then he would be a perfect loan option. He'll be 20 next season and has it all to prove. 

Nick Powell - Manchester United - I'd have him to play the Martin role. He's a big lad, incredible first touch and has the natural ability to find a man. I don't think he's got a future at Old Trafford anymore but I'd take him in a heartbeat. 

Lewis Baker - Chelsea - He was the standout in the U21 two years ago with Ibe and he's done well for MK. If we lose a centre midfielder and looking for someone to come in on a cheap deal who could make an impact, I'd look to him. 

Dominic Solanke - Chelsea - I don't think it would be possible but it'd be interesting to get him in a Derby shirt. I'm convinced he will go on to be the best striker of his generation. Unbelievable talent. Even Izzy Brown wouldn't be a bad shout.

Jose Pozo - Man City - He's one of the standouts in the youth league. I don't know where he would fit in our system, but if we changed it around then certainly stands a chance of making an impact.

Jason Denayer - Man City - Defender and a bloody good one at that. I doubt a deal is possible, though. 

I'd buy Tom Thorpe, Andre Wisdom and Nick Powell. I would then loan Wilson, Denayer, Solanke and Baker. 

Easy. 

​Powell would be the perfect replacement for Hughes if he leaves. Would add that strength in midfield we've all be pleading for and can contribute with a fair few goals. Not too sure he would be the man for the Martin role, more like the man to play in just behind Martin

​Powell would be the perfect replacement for Hughes if he leaves. Would add that strength in midfield we've all be pleading for and can contribute with a fair few goals. Not too sure he would be the man for the Martin role, more like the man to play in just behind Martin

​He's completely changed his game from when he was at Crewe, for better or for worse, I'm not sure.

He's pretty much Martin now. I think that's why Wigan moved him up top and Rosler didn't fancy him. 

He's got outstanding technical ability; he's good in the air, on the ground and his first touch is phenomenal. He's versatile which would help but I could see him developing into that Martin role quite well. He's definitely someone you could trust to trap the ball and bring others into play. 

He definitely needs a move this summer, though, 100% 

Easy. 

All big names for the future, no doubt. Most unlikely just because of being untested at the level we want to be next season (top 6)

also, didn't Denayer play at Celtic this season...? Unlikely to make a drop from European football (short but sweet) to second tier. I would like to think we could get a couple of them alongside some more experienced players ready to play now 

All big names for the future, no doubt. Most unlikely just because of being untested at the level we want to be next season (top 6)

also, didn't Denayer play at Celtic this season...? Unlikely to make a drop from European football (short but sweet) to second tier. I would like to think we could get a couple of them alongside some more experienced players ready to play now 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3058274/Jason-Denayer-WON-T-returning-Celtic-Manchester-City-decide-defender-spend-season-Championship.html

Manchester City have told Jason Denayer they want him to spend next season in the English Championship.

The Belgian defender has been a revelation during his year-long loan move to Celtic. Already a PFA Scotland Young Player of the Year nominee, the Belgian scooped the same honour at Celtic’s annual awards dinner in Glasgow on Sunday.

I'd say we need a new CB, CDM (I'd like us to go to a 2 holding in midfield, keep Eustace but have cover), CAM, winger, striker.

I would suggest: CB - Denayer looks a tidy player but I'd prefer experience, eg. Turner at Fulham.

CDM - Luongo good, quite forward thinking but could be moulded.

CAM - Powell would be perfect for that role in my opinion and could be available.

Winger - Likely to be Ince, would love that to happen.

Striker - Like the look of Done at Sheffield United, quick and a good finisher and only 26. Alternatives include Wood. Would like someone in Martin's mould and someone to play on the shoulder (although Russell could do this?)

This all changes depending on who we sell. If Hughes/Hendricks goes this all changes things and I'd like to be more ambitious.

Id get Wisdom in definitely, Micah Richards will go to Bournemouth or Watford.

We need a CDM definitely, would Oriol Romeu be loaned to us??? played a lot for Stuttgart. cant think of many tbh

Alberto Bueno is he still a free agent??

Wingers!!! Ince? Gnabry?

other than that I think we should be looking at youth to try and move the club forward

I would like to see some defenders first, but my lad is a Fulham fan and he would be royally pi$$ed off if we went for McCormack.  Carried Fulham from about November onwards with 18 goals and double figure assists. Good touch, and worked his socks off.  I suggested he could have Bent back and he said that was like opting for a burger when you could afford fillet steak. I am not sure FFC can afford fillet, but if we can he would do very nicely playing alongside Martin.

In an ideal world, I'd be very happy with:

One of Marshall, Butland, Westwood (GKs)

Two of Berra, Dunk, Bamba, Flint (CBs)

Wisdom (RB)

A new CDM + keep Eustace. Perhaps Luongo. Young, cheap & would be a good understudy for Thorne.

No new CMs unless anybody leaves

Ince. Another winger, possibly a PL loan.

Bent and/or a younger striker who would be more of a risk.

Archived