10 greatest footballers of all time

Posh Ram

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not one mention for Stanley Matthews... he p*sses all over the players of today. Giggs played until he was 40, Stan went another 10. Never booked despite getting kicked to bits every Saturday and played his last match at 70. 

Top 5 for me! 

Best players of all time IMO are playing who have revolutionised their position on the pitch. It's easy to pick goal scorers, but the true greats are those that excell in their role beyond belief.

I think Maldini, Ronaldo, Makelele, Zidane, Neuer and Messi are definitely up there from my generation.

It's hard for me to talk about the past. Yes, Pele scored loads of goals, but he was up against weaker defenders who obviously didn't have the discipline and organisation of defences seen today.

I don't want to rubbish people's achievements, but that Maradona goal against England was woeful from a defensive stantpoint. No tackles, no organisation, no defensive cohesion. 

I know Messi scored similar against Getafe, but over the past 5 years or so new defensive strategies have come in to place to make such a goal almost impossible. Even Iran at the World Cup - a team of relative nobodys - still managed to organise themselves far better vs Messi than England managed vs Maradona.

Football changes over the years, you only have to look at the boots, the ball, pitches, Pele and Maradona had to play with to see this so put the tissues down fanboys, Messi isn't the greatest player of all time, nobody is.

Thought this might make an interesting thread. Who, in your opinion, are the 10 greatest football players of all-time.

I think it'll be interesting to see where Messi ranks - in my opinion, he's the greatest ever, but I'd imagine some will feel differently.

I'm also interested to see how much Pele crops up. In my opinion he's not up there - he scored a lot of goals in a Mickey Mouse league, never proved himself against elite competition on a regular basis, and even his World Cup wins were on pretty stacked Brazil teams. The Champions League/European Cup is a much better competition, despite the passion and excitement of the World Cup.

Here's my personal top 10:

1. Lionel Messi

2. Cristiano Ronaldo

3. Diego Maradona

4. Johann Cruyff

5. Franz Beckenbauer

6. Michel Platini

7. Alfredo Di Stefano

8. Ferenc Puskas

9. Ronaldo

10. Zinedine Zidane

​How many World Cups has Messi won , he has only ever played for one team that has been built around him , and when he plays internationally he disappears , Maradonna virtually carried Argentina on his back to win , Messi can not do it , he is NOT the best ever .

​How many World Cups has Messi won , he has only ever played for one team that has been built around him , and when he plays internationally he disappears , Maradonna virtually carried Argentina on his back to win , Messi can not do it , he is NOT the best ever .

​He doesn't disappear in internationals. Why don't you re-watch some of the games from the last world cup and remind yourself who popped up with important goals and assists when his team were struggling?

Barcelona are not built around him. He has adjusted his game in the last year in order to play effectively in a new forward line with Neymar and Suarez. Are you actually going to claim that playing alongside Villa, Henry, Ibrahimovic, Eto'o, Sanchez, Pedro, Suarez, and Neymar required no adjustment whatsoever?

I'm not going to claim he's better than Maradona because it's impossible to accurately compare players from different generations. He is, however, the best player in the world currently.

​He doesn't disappear in internationals. Why don't you re-watch some of the games from the last world cup and remind yourself who popped up with important goals and assists when his team were struggling?

Barcelona are not built around him. He has adjusted his game in the last year in order to play effectively in a new forward line with Neymar and Suarez. Are you actually going to claim that playing alongside Villa, Henry, Ibrahimovic, Eto'o, Sanchez, Pedro, Suarez, and Neymar required no adjustment whatsoever?

I'm not going to claim he's better than Maradona because it's impossible to accurately compare players from different generations. He is, however, the best player in the world currently.

​Maybe currently , but I said not the best ever.

Pep did build a team around him , don't care what you say.

Thought this might make an interesting thread. Who, in your opinion, are the 10 greatest football players of all-time.

I think it'll be interesting to see where Messi ranks - in my opinion, he's the greatest ever, but I'd imagine some will feel differently.

I'm also interested to see how much Pele crops up. In my opinion he's not up there - he scored a lot of goals in a Mickey Mouse league, never proved himself against elite competition on a regular basis, and even his World Cup wins were on pretty stacked Brazil teams. The Champions League/European Cup is a much better competition, despite the passion and excitement of the World Cup.

Here's my personal top 10:

1. Lionel Messi

2. Cristiano Ronaldo

3. Diego Maradona

4. Johann Cruyff

5. Franz Beckenbauer

6. Michel Platini

7. Alfredo Di Stefano

8. Ferenc Puskas

9. Ronaldo

10. Zinedine Zidane

I'm sorry, but the Brazilian League of his time wasn't a "Mickey Mouse League" and to say so shows a drastic misunderstanding of World Football at the time. The Brazilian League of his day was arguably the strongest in the world at that time, and he dominated the World Stage with Brazil. 

I'd like to see him ploughing through the BBG mud like Archie used to do for ninety minutes , these little flips and quick one two's , the players nowadays would look right ****** when the ball just stuck , lets see best ever in those conditions , not playing on snooker tables every game .

Archived