10 greatest footballers of all time

Posh Ram

Thought this might make an interesting thread. Who, in your opinion, are the 10 greatest football players of all-time.

I think it'll be interesting to see where Messi ranks - in my opinion, he's the greatest ever, but I'd imagine some will feel differently.

I'm also interested to see how much Pele crops up. In my opinion he's not up there - he scored a lot of goals in a Mickey Mouse league, never proved himself against elite competition on a regular basis, and even his World Cup wins were on pretty stacked Brazil teams. The Champions League/European Cup is a much better competition, despite the passion and excitement of the World Cup.

Here's my personal top 10:

1. Lionel Messi

2. Cristiano Ronaldo

3. Diego Maradona

4. Johann Cruyff

5. Franz Beckenbauer

6. Michel Platini

7. Alfredo Di Stefano

8. Ferenc Puskas

9. Ronaldo

10. Zinedine Zidane

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Messi is the best ever. There is not a single player, present or past, who is as consistently brilliant as he is.

He's so good, he makes genuine world class players suchas Neymar and Suarez look ordinary in comparison.

I didn't even think Messi had a good game tonight, but two moments of undeniable magic won his side the game. Who can match him? Not only is he the greatest goal scorer ever in European football, he's the best creative player too.

You can play Messi in any position bar GK and CB and he'd be the best player in the world in that position. That's how ridiculously good he is. If he was a RB, he'd still score 20 goals and assist another 20 per season.

Messi is the best ever. There is not a single player, present or past, who is as consistently brilliant as he is.

He's so good, he makes genuine world class players suchas Neymar and Suarez look ordinary in comparison.

I didn't even think Messi had a good game tonight, but two moments of undeniable magic won his side the game. Who can match him? Not only is he the greatest goal scorer ever in European football, he's the best creative player too.

You can play Messi in any position bar GK and CB and he'd be the best player in the world in that position. That's how ridiculously good he is. If he was a RB, he'd still score 20 goals and assist another 20 per season.

​You've got a bit of drool on your chin there, better calm down before you lose control of other bodily fluids.

I'm joking, I agree with you. Well... maybe not the last bit...

​You've got a bit of drool on your chin there, better calm down before you lose control of other bodily fluids.

I'm joking, I agree with you. Well... maybe not the last bit...

​As a football enthusiast, Messi is the only player who can give me goosebumps.. That's weird, but those runs and clipped finishes just make you smile.

I know football is generally a simple game, but Messi playing it is art. He does things beyond imaginable.

Am I alone with the Muller pick?

​A lot of legends will be overlooked in things like this. One reason is that kids here just haven't seen anything else but recent players and their play station.

​A lot of legends will be overlooked in things like this. One reason is that kids here just haven't seen anything else but recent players and their play station.

​I put it to you that a lot of modern greats will be overlooked by out of touch oldies who haven't kept in touch with the wider game since the new millennium and haven't seen anything else but 20th century players and their nostalgia-inducing VHS collection. 

Maldini

Beckenbauer

Moore

Cafu

Maradona

Zidane

Messi

Best

Muller

Pele

Pick a goalkeeper to go with that outfield ten, anyone will do because you wouldn't see the ball to score past them!

​I put it to you that a lot of modern greats will be overlooked by out of touch oldies who haven't kept in touch with the wider game since the new millennium and haven't seen anything else but 20th century players and their nostalgia-inducing VHS collection. 

​It ain't Christmas yet but I say to you - Humbagh.

Am I alone with the Muller pick?

I never saw the guy play, so going off reputation, which makes things difficult.

He was a world-class poacher and probably the best goalscorer ever (him or Fat Ronaldo, imo). But he only won one Ballon D'Or. Also difficult to include him and Beckenbauer imo, and Beckenbauer was clearly the superior player. He'd comfortably make my top 20 though, along with George Best, Gordon Banks and a couple of others.

I think Neuer might one day crack the top 10 if he maintains his current level of play for two or three more years. Already comfortably in the five greatest goalies of all time, imo.

I never saw the guy play, so going off reputation, which makes things difficult.

He was a world-class poacher and probably the best goalscorer ever (him or Fat Ronaldo, imo). But he only won one Ballon D'Or. Also difficult to include him and Beckenbauer imo, and Beckenbauer was clearly the superior player. He'd comfortably make my top 20 though, along with George Best, Gordon Banks and a couple of others.

I think Neuer might one day crack the top 10 if he maintains his current level of play for two or three more years. Already comfortably in the five greatest goalies of all time, imo.

Totally agree about Neuer,just a fantastic keeper and best in world right now,with imo Courtois in 2nd.

Archived