Who would you sign?

Uptherams

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any reason we can't go with Albentosa/Buxton as our centre pairing?

Can't rely on Bucko not getting injured he is at that age now where you can't expect 40+ games. We need someone that will play every game.

Albentosa won't play as long as Keogh is here unless Albentosa can adapt to the left side of the CB's and I can't see Keogh leaving as no prem clubs will bid for him and no championship teams would be willing to pay enough money now he has signed a new deal just recently in January. 

One suggestion I don't think anyone has said yet is Joey Barton.. Always spoken very well of McClaren (QPR days), and we need someone in his ilk with experience to replace a potential Eustace departure. Available on a free.

Splits opinions but is definitely a quality player at this level 

In my opinion we need:

A Goalkeeper. Grant is what? 32? He should be in his prime yet he continues to make errors. He's a good shot stopper but has very little presence in the area. I don't think the defence has confidence in him nor do I think he has confidence in the defence. I've only seen Butland & Marshall being touted as replacements and although either would be great, both are unrealistic.

A right back. I don't want to see Shotton at RB again, he's not a RB. Nor is he a CB worthy of starting for us, he's a squad player at best. Christie still needs to learn a lot before he is ready to play top level Championship football, if we could get Wisdom on either another loan or a perm deal for under 1.5mil that would be brilliant. We also need a CB, preferably left side. I can't see Buxton having much of a future here which is sad to say. I just don't think him and Mac see eye to eye and I don't think Mac rates him as highly as we do. All this season he's tried to replace him before injury became the only reason he could be left out after out-performing Shotton & Albentosa who were brought here to replace him. Rawson could do a job hopefully, and if what Sombrero Evans says is correct and he could play for England, then surely this season he should be ready to start for us. Some decent CB's for this league should be available on a cheap or free, we should look towards those. Forsyth is fine for LB as long as he plays in a stable back four but please keep him away from the CB positions.

A CDM. Be that on loan, or permanent we need at least two of these. I would like a player who can play CM or CDM, perhaps Luongo who shone for Swindon, he'll be free. Another older Eustace type head is needed too.

Our midfield options should be fine unless any of the three leave. We also have Dawkins who has shown can play CM. I would look to take Pritchard from Spurs on loan as he looked fantastic for Brentford, but other than that we should be ok. Bryson & Hendrick do need to pull their ******* sleeves up should they stay though.

We need wingers. I can see another young PL loanee come in. I would also like Ince if we can get him for less than £3mil. Ince, Russell, Young PL loanee and Ward should be enough, although I would like to see Calero maybe phased in as I don't think Ward is good enough to rely on for a prolonged period of time.

One striker to replace Bent. Either loan or permanent. Would also like to see more of Bennett or Thomas being used as third choice too. Thomas should have got a go up top alone instead of Russell when Bent & Martin were injured but nonetheless we need another goalscorer. There are cheap options out there. Sears has looked brilliant for Ipswich and he came from a League One relegation side. We can find a good striker for cheap which will allow more of the budget to be put towards first XI players.

One suggestion I don't think anyone has said yet is Joey Barton.. Always spoken very well of McClaren (QPR days), and we need someone in his ilk with experience to replace a potential Eustace departure. Available on a free.

Splits opinions but is definitely a quality player at this level 

​I have been waiting for someone else to say this on here for a while. I had concerns about him coming here months ago. But the way things have gone the last few months, he would be a fantastic signing for us. Shame really :) 

​I have been waiting for someone else to say this on here for a while. I had concerns about him coming here months ago. But the way things have gone the last few months, he would be a fantastic signing for us. Shame really :) 

​There's been a lot of talk about Joey Barton a couple weeks back on the summer suggestion thread in Transfer Talk. He would be fantastic and just what we are missing. If we had him last season (2013/14) we would have been promoted.

We need at least 4 big signings Big Money Required

Goalkeeper Marshall/Butland//Mccarthy

Centre Back Hanley/Hector/Hobbs/Wisdom

Centre Mid Barton/Chalobah/Ince/Bridcutt/Karacan/Britton

Striker McCormack/Rhodes/Gestede/

Bring in tom ince as well if we can

Bridcutts not a bad shout! Forgot about him

​any of those strikers will be a minimum of 8m. thats probably our budget spent straight away. 

cant believe people think we need a new keeper, ild much rather improve the back 4, grant is a good keeper just off form.

Wisdom, Damien Delaney (still plays regularly for palace, had a good game against chelsea yesterday but now 32 so could get him) Rohan Ince, Barton or maybe parker, then a couple of wingers and a striker and we will break the record total points!!!!!!!!!!!! easy as that

Sorry, I do like the idea of Barton but its rings of Savage and wages all over again and for that reason I don't want him anywhere near Moor Farm let alone the iPro.

As for my "transfer targets"..

Alex McCarthy was decent for Reading/Leeds a while back.. Unless we can get Butland on a full season loan with no call back.

Andre Wisdom, Tommy Smith (Ipswich).

Rohan Ince (If Eustace leaves) as well as Tom Ince.. Just so we can have R.Ince and T.Ince on the back of our shirts..

Rudi Gestede & Nahki Wells..
Also if its true about Josh King being out of contract.

I'd sign some decent mods as this thread is a total replica of the summer transfer window suggestion thread.

Grant is a good shot stopper? He makes routine saves look spectacular and lets in any shots directly at him and always gets beat at his near post.

Edit: Also never comes for crosses which puts the back four under extra pressure...

The Rohan Ince suggestion is bizarre. 

I thought people usually talked up players who were far beyond our budget but now people are gunning for a CDM who is in and out of a side in the bottom 6.

Kayal is the better of the two, but no mention of him - why?

I like the idea of Alex McCarthy - kudos to whoever suggested that. 

Some of the strikers mentioned are so bad, though. If we keep playing the same way then we know that we need martin-esc striker - Bent was good but didn't fit the system. Wells is just a poor man's Bent. Gestede would cost close to 8 figures. Matt Smith would be more reasonable.

Barton would be a great signing, depending on wages. He would ateast offer a good replacement for Eustace. 

Delle Alli won't be a loan option for us. If he goes out on loan then it will be with MK Dons. 

Dunk and Denayer (loan) would be good defensive options. Wisdom would be a good right back option and as left backs go.. I have no idea of a reasonable replacement. Obita would be a couple million. 

Drinkwater would be a perfect signing for our CDM problem. Kayal and Barton would also be good. 

Outwide, it depends on who is available. Good loan players tend to be easy to pick up in these positions.

Upfront, we need a target man striker. I'd tend to look abroad for this - Necid a good example. Matt Smith would be affordable for an option in England. 

Slightly off topic, does anyone know who is picking the players that we sign, or at least the likes of Albentosa, Shotton, and Warnock. Does Steve have to work with whoever he's given or is it his shout? Same applies for recent loans. 

Archived