Help with Ronnie's Book

RLACML

Ronnie's Book Title  

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is anyone else totally confused by this whole thread?? Am I missing something I should already know?!!!

​I've been writing the book for a while Phil, it was supposed to be published already but I went through a couple of things last year that mean the book wasn't the focus.

Some of the members on here have read a chapter or two and given their comments on it, others like @Cisse and @LadyRam have seen a lot of it and given me brilliant support and feedback, as well as making me really motivated to finish it by their kind words. I'd go as far as to say I've developed a couple of friendships through this that I hope last a while longer ;-)

That's maybe why some of them know a little more than you do, sorry about that!

​I've been writing the book for a while Phil, it was supposed to be published already but I went through a couple of things last year that mean the book wasn't the focus.

Some of the members on here have read a chapter or two and given their comments on it, others like @Cisse and @LadyRam have seen a lot of it and given me brilliant support and feedback, as well as making me really motivated to finish it by their kind words. I'd go as far as to say I've developed a couple of friendships through this that I hope last a while longer ;-)

Ah right! So are these snippets still available to read?

Hey can you send me a chapter or two please?  I'm a published journalist and I know a few publishers and authors.  

In regards to the name, they are both too generic to people that know who he is. But the story is about a young boy setting how the man lived /did /said and how that shaped his life.

Need something more catchy. Think of something funny he said, out a situation or a moment. Etc... 

“I want no epitaphs of profound history and all that type of thing. I contributed – I would hope they would say that, and I would hope somebody liked me.”

i think this is your moment ronnie.

Can I be a royal pain in the &$%&?  

I think both titles could be shorter and punchier - have you considered shaving off a couple of words? (e.g. The Brian Clough Story OR 'Tough Life to Clough Life')

I usually expect the majority of book titles to be between 1-4 words (unless you're George RR Martin!). Though I do realise there are always exceptions to that rule. 

​If Ronnie doesn't mind me saying, I agree with you Ramshankered, the title could shorter and punchier a couple or three words at most. I could imagine a book cover with a picture of the great man (directing operations from the touchline for example) with the title HEY, YOUNG MAN above it, that would make me pick up the book to see what it was all about.

*For the younger members Brian used to refer to some of his players (or anybody else he felt like) as "young man"

The above is an example Ronnie, not a suggestion, I wish you all the best in getting it published and look forward to reading it.

​If Ronnie doesn't mind me saying, I agree with you Ramshankered, the title could shorter and punchier a couple or three words at most. I could imagine a book cover with a picture of the great man (directing operations from the touchline for example) with the title HEY, YOUNG MAN above it, that would make me pick up the book to see what it was all about.

*For the younger members Brian used to refer to some of his players (or anybody else he felt like) as "young man"

The above is an example Ronnie, not a suggestion, I wish you all the best in getting it published and look forward to reading it.

​I genuinely thought about the "young man" thing BC used to say when i was in the shower earlier and came on this thread to mention it! Spooky...

Titles are too often used as a gimmicks. Few years back I read Michael J. Fox's Lucky Man which is a great book. That is one of those books that has made me really experience something about life through someone others life. But you need to read the book before you can fully get it all. Ronnie's book is similar in that category.

Hey can you send me a chapter or two please?  I'm a published journalist and I know a few publishers and authors.  

In regards to the name, they are both too generic to people that know who he is. But the story is about a young boy setting how the man lived /did /said and how that shaped his life.

Need something more catchy. Think of something funny he said, out a situation or a moment. Etc... 

I work in distribution IT for one of the UK's largest publishing groups and I read a lot of books, and I mean a lot. 

I agree with this, the title needs changing. I have 3 piles of around 50 books sat by my desk waiting to be read and all of them except one (Aegypt-John Crowley) have either 2, 3 or 4 word titles. There is a reason for this.

Would love to read it though so I'm hoping you go down the publisher route, there are a lot of good sympathetic ones out there besides the get rich quick brigades.

Don't know about the title Ronnie, but sounds to me like a compulsive read, and showing the compassionate / human side of the man of which we have only previously had brief glimpses. 

Would be delighted to purchase a copy when available, and pass the word around amongst lifelong DCFC fans, but don't take too long - none of us are getting any younger.....!

Good look with your venture, however it turns out.

The thing is this isn't your ordinary Brian Clough book. The idea isn't to make the writer rich.

I have read a lot of biographies and usually they are the same. A polished story with a couple of hints that the star isn't perfect.

This book doesn't have a star(s). This book is about people who have heart and willingness to use it. For me this book is people I can look up to.

As much as I know about the publishers so far in this project they have been only in it for the money.

For Brian Clough and his family this wasn't about money. For Craig/Ronnie this isn't about money. I have a huge respect for both of them after reading it.

Clever work Ronnie. You said you'd struggle with the promotional side of things but making Cisse your Head of Promotion was a master stroke, he's nailing it ;)

Clever work Ronnie. You said you'd struggle with the promotional side of things but making Cisse your Head of Promotion was a master stroke, he's nailing it ;)

​I don't think I'll struggle with it Tombo, I think I'll enjoy it, I'm basically a salesman by profession so the promotional side should take care of itself. I've only ever asked for honest feedback to be posted and never tried to control what or how people view the book. If the feedback came back negative, it would still have been posted on here and the project would have died early on.

What is VERY emotional for me is Cisse's response to reading the book has been incredible, it's him and LadyRam who actually gave me the balls and the confidence to push on with it. (since then there has similar feedback from quite a few test readers as well)

I've never met Cisse, we've never spoken, he doesn't know me, he didn't know the story.

And yet STILL he takes his time to come on write incredibly nice things about it and on top of that he's even going to buy the book and not get it for free :-)

That to me is worth as much as anything else. Even if the project collapses and never sees the light of day. People like Cisse and one or two others have enjoyed it and got something out of it.

Very worthwhile and interesting (and probably important, Ronnie!) to relay this personal story, I'd say - though I'm unaware of any detailed content.

Can't remember if this was the project where I PM'd the originator ages ago to offer help 'on the ground' for promotion & distribution among fans and football community-related activities. I did get initial friendly but short responses but no follow-up - though am very happy to assist if thought relevant.

Perhaps Ronnie's book journey is a little comparable to that of Wendy Dickinson (daughter of Peter Taylor), who's great book, 'For Pete's Sake', was born out of ire at the sensational inaccuracies of 'The Damned United' (especially the film) and lack of decent PT biographies.

She was able to bring to life a different angle of the Clough-Taylor partnership, to remedy the neglect & ignorance that existed about the crucial part that her father played in the renaissance of The Rams (and later, The Trees).

Initially, Wendy wasn't at all sure that her efforts were worthwhile or if she could promote it in public - but happily, fan feedback and activity overturned the reluctance and that book has sold out.

​Thanks. I struggle with the promotional side too since I know that Ronnie's moral is pretty high and I have to consider what I can say about this project without compromising Ronnie's values.

A couple things that I like to say is that reading the original script was a powerful and emotional experience for me. Reading the story and things attached to this project has made me to working on to become a better person. Also the story is actually about Ronnie. It just happen to have the great Brian Clough heavily involved in.

And Ronnie, I'll buy three books. But I want them each signed. One for me and two for my friends. :cool:

Archived