Richard Keogh in PFA TOTY

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​There's 3 wingers chosen, obviously one is going to end up in the central midfield position ....

But it can't just be the top 11 players cause it would never work out right so why didn't they put the 2nd highest rated CM in instead of 3 wingers? Seems bizarre...

Amazing isn't it really? Richard Keogh rated as one the best centre backs in the league by his fellow professionals yet berated by his own fans!!

​As to be expected.

On the PFA website...

The Derby skipper has been a rock for the Rams, and the leadership qualities he brings to the team are massively appreciated by colleagues and fans alike. Named player of the year at each of his last three clubs – Carlisle, Coventry and Derby – he is revered by all, and was honoured during his time at Brunton Park where Carlisle supporters paraded a banner ‘In Keogh we trust’. A fitting tribute to the Republic of Ireland international.

Amazing isn't it really? Richard Keogh rated as one the best centre backs in the league by his fellow professionals yet berated by his own fans!!

Only some.

To be honest a Derby player needed to be in it and there are not many stand out cbs. Our best players this season (Hughes and Martin) play in positions where there are at least 2 players who have performed better or been more consistent. Keogh does put his heart and soul into playing for Derby which is why I don't like to give him stick.

Our three best players over the season have been Keogh, Hughes and Martin. Sadly, Martin's been out for so long recently, and in that time Bent and especially Ince have done well. Keogh has his limitations but plays to his maximum and has been a true captain and great driving force through the campaign, and this is richly deserved.

Disappointed Hughes didn't get one of the places, but fine for him to occasionally go under the radar.

​I've mentioned it a few times, but I'll never forget Karl Darlow's reasoning for voting Ings as the POTY last year...

'You can't look past the top scorer'

Number one, that's a lazy vote.

Number two, he wasn't the divisions top scorer... Ross McCormack was... for an absoloutley dire Leeds side... whilst also picking up more assist... 

Also worth pointing out that The Championship's Player of the Year Patrick Bamford isn't even in the team of the year. 

I'm happy for Keogh, it's probably been his best season for us, but to me these awards should always be taken with a pinch of salt. 

Archived