Derby County vs Blackpool

Carl Sagan

That won't do the lads any harm for Saturday, Brentford and Wolves losing is a plus an' all. Yeah Ipswich are a point behind us but I don't see them overtaking us, play offs just about in the bag.

​It doesn't really matter if they do or not. We'll have a tough game in the semis anyway. We'll have either of the two who don't get automatics from top 4. Just need to concern ourselves with Brentford and Wolves.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's all down to Thorne and Martin , if they recover from injury we will go up , if not it's another season in championship 

​After today, a win on Saturday should have us all but there. If we do win. Just stick with Bent up top and leave Thorne out for the rest of the regulation season.

Get them actually fit this time for play-offs and then maybe, just maybe, we have a slim chance.

Whitbread: excellent. Not only solid defensively, but his passing was quick and precise. I've found that sometimes we take too long to get the ball across the back 4; not today. Whitbread got it out of his feet quickly and well, admittedly against cry poor opposition but looked good none the less.

Dawkins proved Bris right, he does work at CM. Bryson and Hendrick both looked solid too.

Attackers were alright, Bent looks like he'll score every time he plays at the moment. Could come in handy in an away leg in the play-off's.

Positive that we didn't struggle AT all tonight. COYR.

It's all down to Thorne and Martin , if they recover from injury we will go up , if not it's another season in championship 

​Surprised you didn't say it's all down to Bryson...

In all seriousness, I think we can go up without them both playing. The playoffs are a lottery, past few years have proven it's not always the bes team nor the form team who ends up going up.

Palace were probably the worst playoff team I've seen in years, players wise and on form - they went on to win them.

In all seriousness, I think we can go up without them both playing. The playoffs are a lottery, past few years have proven it's not always the bes team nor the form team who ends up going up.

Palace were probably the worst playoff team I've seen in years, players wise and on form - they went on to win them.

​And look at Palace now. Pushing for top half and playing very well.

You don't need to be on form or even play well to go up. Make no mistake, when the play-offs start you may as well wipe all four sides' points, because they all go in as equals.

I'd rather take the chance with both of them playing 

What's Bryson's problem with the fans? 

Don't mind like. Just curious 

Some nob in the East Stand berated him all game, even when Warnock was heading a goal kick from Grant on the sideline he was lamenting his lack of effort! 

Good game from Brys tonight, and Hendrick did the holding well, Dawks very good I thought, maybe like Robson in Italia 90 we've stumbled on the best solution, needs testing against tougher opposition though.

I would have preferred christie at right back given that we were likely to be attacking but it was refreshing to see an improved distribution and passing from the back.

dawkins in centre mid was good .- as predicted that is his best position.

overall much improved.

would have liked us to have gone for it and hit six.

strange sight at half time....christie, ward and russell passing to each other; thomas warming up with roos, and albentosa totally ignored by them all. He was forced to just boot the ball into an empty net. Strange?

Thought Hendrick was very good. Dawkins excellent. Lingard too when he got the service was good. It was little and often and he missed another sitter I think? 

Whitbread as mentioned moved the ball nice and quick. 

Subs were a bit pants. Thomas was the best of them. 

Agree that Zac looked sound, particularly his passing. Still think Bryson goes sideways too much and neither he or Hendrick are the best tacklers. For me they are best as raiders running on to a ball held up by Martin. If he isn't there and if the back line isn't protected by a DM their weakness in tackling or driving forward in possession is a little exposed. Backs to goal too often for my liking but all worked hard tonight and great to see the net balloon a few times. Will do confidence a world of good. 

Dawks as the creator / conductor looked a good move and option depending on opposition.

Despite the fact we stuffed them I think credit is due to Blackpool who kept playing and pressed well especially in the last 15 mins. The ref also deserves a nod for not being too picky and not waving his card about 

Grant - 5 - Didn't have too much to do but noticed a few poor kicks. Nothing major.

Warnock - 6 - Started a bit shaky but got into it eventually. He wasn't really challenged but didn't give the ball away too much.

Whitbread - 6 - Looked a bit too aggressive in the challenge and could have been pulled up a number of times. Football was okay. Steady-ish.

Keogh - 6 - Missed a few passes and did some crazy stuff at times. However, it was largely a good performance and pulled an outstanding tackle out of the bag in the second (although it didn't matter as the player was offside)

Shotton - 7 - Great in the first half. The second was dodgy one, though. He set up their attacker for a glorious chance with a mind-boggling header. 

Hendrick - 6 - Played the deeper role well in the first half but forgot himself in the second, I felt. Okay performance. 

Dawkins - 8 - MOTM - Definitely the best player on the pitch tonight. He kept things ticking and knew where to play the ball and when to move. In the absence of Hughes, he filled the role perfectly. 

Bryson - 6 - Well taken goal and steady performance. He made some horrible touches and lost the ball quite a lot in key areas. 

Lingard - 5 - Tried to get things going at times but lacked quality tonight. I thought his decision making at times was Ibe-esc. Promising player but lots to improve on. I feel he has definitely gone backwards on what he was last season at this level.

Ince - 7 - Well taken goal, well, very well taken goal. Offered flair and an outlet. 

Bent - 8 - it was his best performance for us since Bournemouth, I thought. I was baffled when Mac took him off. He was the only player in the second half that seeked the initiative and looked to add to his goal tally. The game died with his substitution. 

Russell, Ward and Kwame - 5 - none of them offered anything. 

In summary:

It was played in the 'Derby way' but in the second half it was too slow and too exhibition-esc. You could have been forgiven for thinking it was a training match. 

I won't complain as there was a lot more positives in this game than there has been for many-o-weeks but certainly not the finished article. Huddersfield will offer a much tougher challenge on Saturday so we will need to step up once again.

Archived