Derby County vs Blackpool

Carl Sagan

Derby boss Steve McClaren: "This was the genuine article. We kept a clean sheet, we worked, we passed and moved, we played at a good tempo and we got our reward."

Any result is a good result at this stage of the season but 'genuine article' against a side who are a complete mess and only mustered half a point a game is clutching at a straw or two!

Our form is about as good as QPR's last season....... I will settle for the same outcome as they had....

I really hate something about your name, not sure why.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<pedant>Nope, it's a very healthy 4 points but not as good as 5 points. If they get 5 more points, they are above us.</pedant>

What happens if we're five points better off but with a much worse off goal difference? Surely the same principle applies.

At this stage of the season, I think it's safe to say we're 4.5 points better off. We only need 5 points to guarantee us the playoffs, but I think just the 3 will do it.

<pedant>Nope, it's a very healthy 4 points but not as good as 5 points. If they get 5 more points, they are above us.</pedant>

Effectively we are, say, four and a half points clear. For any mathematicians on the forum, we could consider ourselves to be 4 + ε points clear where ε > 0.

I don't want to be too negative, but I have to be realistic. Players look a lot better when they are given space.

The higher the level of the opposition, the quicker you have to think and the better your decisions have to be. Some of Derby's players have been found wanting when they are pressurised. Then suddenly we play Blackpool and they look good.

Hughes and Martin stand out because they can play a ball which allows their team-mates space even when they themselves are under the most extreme pressure.

Bryson, Christie, Albentosa and co will be targeted by the opposition as likely to concede possession when attacked.

Dawkins isn't going to set the world alight against better sides but he does at least retain the ball. He is also a better option should we try to accommodate both Bent and Martin.

I fear for the play-offs because we don't have a settled defence or midfield. We are also a bit too nice and don't have the leaders to take the game by the scruff of the neck when it really matters.

However, when we are good, we are really good. Let's hope that team reappears in May.

Don’t listen to any of the guff, from your “own” Derby County fans Jeff Hendrick.

Jeff Hendrick got us off to the best of starts against Blackpool, by passing a good weighted pass in front of Craig Bryson, for Craig to run on too and run at goal and score a well taken goal. Well done Jeff.

I only saw the goals, and saw Jeff’s good pass for Derby County’s first goal, I wasn’t at this game, I didn’t see this game,

I hope Jeff played well and continues to play well for Derby County Football Club.

Steve Lukather – “Song For Jeff”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8kyNxfeRlo

“There’s only one Jeff Hendrick”

“We Love You Derby We Do….Oh Derby We Love You………….”

I don't want to be too negative, but I have to be realistic. Players look a lot better when they are given space.

The higher the level of the opposition, the quicker you have to think and the better your decisions have to be. Some of Derby's players have been found wanting when they are pressurised. Then suddenly we play Blackpool and they look good.

Hughes and Martin stand out because they can play a ball which allows their team-mates space even when they themselves are under the most extreme pressure.

Bryson, Christie, Albentosa and co will be targeted by the opposition as likely to concede possession when attacked.

Dawkins isn't going to set the world alight against better sides but he does at least retain the ball. He is also a better option should we try to accommodate both Bent and Martin.

I fear for the play-offs because we don't have a settled defence or midfield. We are also a bit too nice and don't have the leaders to take the game by the scruff of the neck when it really matters.

However, when we are good, we are really good. Let's hope that team reappears in May.

​Totally agree I remember us struggling earlier in the season only when teams press us. Since then teams do it a lot look at Brentford in our faces all games it's the way to beat us. Which works wonders as teams found out with our many mistakes

You also have the other way sit back and wait for us to get past half way then press us while having discipline to not give space. Once we lose it or they get it of us counter in numbers. Step 1 is always the most effective thoe.

I said while watching Blackpool there giving us far to much space seems every player has time to think for a pass and when they did press us seemed we were never going to lose the ball. Guess they made us look good lets hope every team now decides not to press us so we can play our Derby way the better way :ph34r:.

Effectively we are, say, four and a half points clear. For any mathematicians on the forum, we could consider ourselves to be 4 + ε points clear where ε > 0.

FFS, CS. Be more precise.

ε > 0 AND also  ε < 1

​I stand corrected and am appalled by my lack of rigour. Of course ε ϵ (0,1).

An unforgivable mistake. I'll just go outside and shoot myself :blush:

Well, that's ruined it! Who's going to start the next match day thread if we win? If we lose you can shoot yourself afterwards!

Archived