£60m war chest waiting for Mc at Newcastle

irobinson

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought at NUFC the manager got little or no input into transfers wasn't that one of the reasons Pardew left so the£ 60m budget for SM to spend? If he does go and that wouldn't be a surprise how about Rosler here....

I thought at NUFC the manager got little or no input into transfers wasn't that one of the reasons Pardew left so the£ 60m budget for SM to spend? If he does go and that wouldn't be a surprise how about Rosler here....

Smacks of Burley throwing the play-offs against Preston, But that was out of spite. This seems to be about confusion and bewilderment amongst the troops ??  Its getting to the stage that the predicted exit will be almost welcome ....    As Leeds says there will be no shortage of takers and a new direction might be welcome ?

Isn't the joke about a huge war chest for an incoming manager is that when it's empty their career will fill it instead? 

I honestly don't see why McClaren would go to Newcastle, particularly if we're talking a £60 million war chest level of pressure. In terms of Premier League money, it really isn't that much, and if he's expected to overhaul the squad for that kind of amount, and bring immediate success, the pressure may well be piling on very quickly. Leaving if we didn't go up could go very sour indeed, as he'd potentially start already on the back foot. What's worse for him, is that he's spent so long rebuilding his career, and one bad season and the narrative will quickly go from "Steve McClaren, who did well at Derby" to "Steve McClaren, who Newcastle surprisingly signed after two failed promotion bids at Derby". 

What is potentially even worse than that is if he did win promotion with us, then left. If Derby were to stay up without him, and Newcastle struggled, it would quickly pile pressure. The thing is, even leaving if we failed to be promoted could be disastrous, as if Derby did as well or even better without him, and he didn't get immediate success at Newcastle, his impact here could be quickly overlooked. 

I don't know, if he does go I'd wish him all the best, it's just sounds like a pointlessly risky career move. I doubt he's agreed such a move, but who knows. 

If he goes, he goes. 

It will annoy me, but won't be the end of the World. He was the manager to get (some) people over their ex. He showed Derby fans that Clough wasn't "Doing a great job" and that we shouldn't just be happy with midtable nothingness. 

We have moved forward light years in his 18 months. The important thing is to build on that by bringing in another top coach/manager to take us even further forward. 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/newcastle-united/11503841/Newcastle-will-have-to-pay-Derby-2m-in-compensation-for-Steve-McCLaren.html

Newcastle United will have to pay £2 million in compensation to take Steve McClaren away from Derby County.

McClaren is emerging as a serious target for Newcastle this summer, while the former England manager could also come under consideration at Sunderland.

But it will require a fee of around £2m to ‘sign’ the 53-year-old after he agreed a lucrative new contract at the start of this season.

McClaren signed a three-year deal in August which contains a hefty compensation bill and Derby remain confident he will stay at the iPro Stadium beyond the current season.

Derby have received no approaches or inquiries from Newcastle over the availability of their head coach and are fully focused on securing promotion from the Championship.

Newcastle will look to appoint a new manager in the summer and McClaren is thought to be one of their leading targets.

But while there is a sense of frustration at Derby that the Newcastle link continues to surface, and has never been completely quashed by McClaren despite persistent questioning, the Championship club are relaxed about the apparent uncertainty.

Derby backed McClaren in the summer and also strongly resisted bids from Burnley and Queens Park Rangers for Richard Keogh and Craig Bryson in an attempt to keep the squad together.

Many other coveted players, including England under-21 midfielder Will Hughes and Republic of Ireland international Jeff Hendrick, joined McClaren is signing new deals as part of the club’s long-term vision.

Darren Bent, Thomas Ince and Jesse Lingard were then signed in January in a bid to give Derby the best possible chance of reaching the Premier League.

The East Midlanders remain in contention for automatic promotion despite an alarming run of six games without a win and McClaren faces a huge game against rivals Watford on Friday evening.

Derby are currently fifth in the Championship and five points behind second-placed Watford, with seven games left to play.

Archived