Why do you think its gone so wrong?

cloughandtaylor

I can't believe how little slack is being cut for the injuries.

If you want something to moan about, it's the silly points we dropped earlier in the season - think Forest at home, Cardiff at home, that vile defeat to Wigan. What's happening now isn't the problem - if I told you at the beginning of the season that we'd be playing every single game with Russell up top on his own, Hanson as our only CDM option, and Keogh paired with a player that doesn't speak the same language (to be fair, I'm not fluent in 'Keogh' either), then would you expect us to stay up? We've been having relegation form because without any of the 5 key players to choose from, we are relegation fodder - as would any other team in the league be if they lacked so many options.

There isn't anywhere near as big a difference between teams in this league as we think. It's not too long ago that Hendrick, Hughes, Bryson, Keogh, Buxton, Grant at Burnely, Forsyth and Ward were mid-table Championship players. It's players like Chris Martin and George Thorne who have taken it to the next level, combined with some excellent coaching. Take one of those two elements away and it's no hard to see how easily we struggle for results again.

If you're going to have a moan, moan at those silly points we dropped earlier in the season. You can't afford to have a run like we're having now, but you legislate for runs like this by taking all the points you can with your best team out. This run could have been a lot less damaging if we'd maintained a higher level earlier in the season - but that's gone now, it's done, move on. Get behind the team.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have lacked a real leader on the pitch over the last few weeks - I am not a signed up member of the "Jake Buxton is Magic" Fan Club, but only him and Eustace are what I would call leaders. Thorne, Bent, and Martin are good players but not leaders.  When we have had momentum, and when the ratchet wasn't being tightened, we got away with it a bit but when the going has got tough, we don't appear to have anyone "tough" to get us going.  I am a bit mystified in respect of Buxton's recent demotion/injury status, and one does wonder why Warnock has not been brought in to lead, and bring some experience to our team. something is not quite right in the squad. We need to wing ugly on Friday and regroup. 

There's a line in the James song 'Sit Down' that sums this up nicely for me - 'If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor'.

We're not really any worse off than at the same stage last season, and miles better off than any previous season since we were last promoted, yet this season has gone so wrong?

On our day, which admittedly seems not so often recently, we're better than 95% of the division, but not all, last year 2 teams were a distance better than us, this year that's down to 1 maybe in Boro.

The bravery seems to have gone from our game recently, thats what I'd like to see the management focus on, the fear of failure is acting as an anchor on the team.

We can play our part too, not berating them while they knock it round the back 4 waiting for a worthwhile forward ball, being patient if they don't hurtle everywhere while holding a position.

I don't believe we've developed a sense of entitlement though, it's just disappointment that we're not achieving the levels we know we can, regardless of personnel I feel we'd developed what @Bris Vegas would call an identity, this is what will hold us in good stead in the future and this seems to have been the 1st thing discarded recently, whether through Managements choice, or a lack of nerve amongst the players I don't know.

Looking forward, why be scared of Wolves, they were on good form coming to the Ipro and were despatched more than comfortably, a recent league one team with Kenny Jackett as manager, we know exactly how they'll approach the game, play to our strengths, rather than try to negate theirs and we'll do well.

Sorry for the essay, but it's too simplistic to divide us into Happy clappers or Plastics.

It went wrong the moment we dared to show ambition and fans got delusions of grandeur. Fans then got grumpy as they weren't getting what they wanted.

@Alpha Signia Fancy joining me in my society cull? Trying to dissolve the stupid sense of entitlement that is a rash upon the nation.

I can't tell where it went wrong because there's been moaning all ******* season.

no plan b, **** CB's, Christie, Eustace, Omar, Dawkins x1, Leon Best, formation, Grant.

When was it ever good? What has changed?

We had the same threads in August, October, December and now. 

Only difference is before fans had to pick on small things. Now there's a few genuine struggles. 

Maybe in a couple of seasons when the plastics have pissed off and we're getting beat by Coventry at home again  people might dream of being where we are now.

But it's the "I want, I want" nature of people. Not just in football but just in general. Nobody has any patience. Want a car? Finance. Want a PS4? Finance. Want a TV?  Finance. Want money? Wonga.

That, combined with every angle and second of every kick being analysed to death by pundits who should know better having been there themselves, makes for a terribly miserable and arrogant football fan. 

I'd like to have some replays of Souness playing career to pull apart.

Hey Alan Hansen, what was you doing here? Why are you 3 yards out of position? That cost a valuable point and it's all your fault.

Football is a game. Entertainment. A break from life.

But nobody remembers. That's why we all **** about giving a minutes applause for **** nobody cares about. And start spitting feathers when Christie made a MISTAKE!! AN ACCIDENT!! 

I'd make a terrible footballer because if I was doing my best and getting **** off some fork lift driver that I'm trying my best to please I'd score the best hattrick of own goals ever

Are people questioning Mac's decisions or Mac being our manager?

If anyone is calling for his head you want to think back over the last decade. You want to look at where we are as a club. Pep Guardiola hasn't heard of us. That's why McClaren came here from being a coach at QPR. Before him came Nigel from Burton. Basically if you're thinking of pulling in Hollywood A list or even B list I think you're more likely to end up with the guy who played Curly in Corrie.

If not for Mac we'd be 5pts behind Blackburn not top

If anyone is calling for his head you want to think back over the last decade. You want to look at where we are as a club. Pep Guardiola hasn't heard of us. That's why McClaren came here from being a coach at QPR. Before him came Nigel from Burton. Basically if you're thinking of pulling in Hollywood A list or even B list I think you're more likely to end up with the guy who played Curly in Corrie.

​The problem with that is this: if we don't produce a result on Friday, kiss goodbye to automatics!

8 points behind with 7 games to go is too steep, even if we come back firing on all cylinders. I can't see any team above us slipping up that much

Because it hasn't rained heavily yet, and our Manager hasn't opted to stand all alone under a brolly with his red blushing face  knowing deep deep down, that you can't dress up poor quality and keep getting away with it for so long.

Positive note, weather forecast for Birmingham on Friday, is a sunny afternoon, temperature as high as 12 degrees, but 6pm onwards, it gets cloudy and temperatures start to drop!

Its just down to confidence. Anyone there last night who saw our guys heads drop as soon as boro scored their goal will have seen it.

We certainly didn't lack commitment or energy.

How have we lost that confidence?

Well;

- not having a good defensive midfielder who can either defend well or create/add to our attacking options. After a while, that effects  the players in defence and attack.

- pumping endless balls up to where your centre forward normally is and seeing any half decent centre back head it away.

- having every team in the league eye you up as a 'scalp' and therefore stick an 11 man wall in front of you every time you go forward.

-have every Tom, **** and Harry speculate, confirm or deny that your manager is off at the end of the season, no matter what.

*delete as appropriate*

Archived