Why do you think its gone so wrong?

cloughandtaylor

Martin's injury is the key problem, he is pivotal to the system and without a centre forward after Bent got injured, the goals dried up. If Bamford got injured Boro would drop like a stone as well. He drives our attack, doesn't necessarily score all our goals but creates the oppurtunity, either with the ball or by taking defenders away from marking the rest of the team.

The other issues have been McClaren persisting with the formation in spite of having no centre forward, and not bringing in cover. The whole Martin injury saga has been a complete farce, two weeks we were told, nearly six weeks ago.

Also, as has been said, we replaced a Premiership quality fullback in Wisdom with a League One player in Christie. This has exposed Keogh as a weak link in the back four and as a result we've been punished too often. Teams know at the moment they just need to get the first goal and then they can sit back and hit us on the counter and probably get another.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I'm not fussed about the PL. If we could win the P/Os or autos and not go up I'd take it.  All I want is something to celebrate. Some success. Something where we can look back and say "We achieved that. That was fantastic."  In the meantime I'm just trying to pinch myself and remember to enjoy the ride.

Martin being out for a long time has affected our chances this season just like everybody suspected it would. 

I'm convinced that had he been around these past nine or so games, that we would be top of the league.  

To compound things further we've had to go through nearly an entire season without George Thorne, and then John Eustace for more than two months. 

In my eyes that explains the current predicament that we're facing. 

I don't think anything has gone wrong,actually.I bet the fans at Bournemouth,Watford,

M'Boro,Norwich,Brentford and Ipswich are all asking the same question.I just think it's

a tough league,where every team has a game plan that they think can win against

the other clubs.The top clubs take it for granted they are going to win and then panic

a bit when it all goes t**ts up.

There is still everything to play for even if we don,t win on Friday.I would add that the

international break is the same for all the teams,I bet they are all looking forward to getting

a rest to refresh tired legs and sort out the injuries.The remaining part of the season should

be fun.We will be there or whereabouts.

I agree, it's a confidence thing. Against Brighton, didn't we have 18 shots!? That great flowing, short passing, exciting play we have been used to, seems to have vanished. But we do miss Chris Martin more that I ever though we would...

Its gone wrong since we lost martin and bent and then trying to play the same system with the wrong kind of striker for that position. We need to change the formation because we are struggling to create any chances. 

We should now have a go with two up front against wolves.

We've been outscoring teams this season but obviously still letting goals in at the other end, so really we've got a dodgy defence but nobody was to worried because we were winning.

Cloughie used to say build a team from the back (so right), if we can't score they can't score if we have a good defence (and that includes some protection from midfield), so when you lose the attacking potency and pivotal player (Martin) and your still leaking goals at the other end this is where it has gone wrong for me, we've played ok in some games in this bad spell but again defence as been shipping goals.Its pretty obvoius the injuries to Martin and Thorne have made a huge difference in our style of play but good teams find a solution when they can't put out there strongest team but our solution that we have not found is a defence that ships to many goals.Like i said earlier in the post goals were still being conceded when we were outscoring teams but me personally could see trouble on the horizon if the goals dried up at the other end and so it has proved to be!!...The first thing i think of before a match starts now is not whether ''will we win'' it is ''will the defence hold up'' and the answer in my mind over the last few weeks has been there bound to concede at least one, they just dont give you any confidence whatsoever!....anyway Watford up after the break..they dont score many goals do they...;)

PistoldPete2

In the last month everything that could go wrong has gone wrong.... Injuries refereeing decisions , bad defensive errors , a tough run of games, and little luck with the ball not going in. It has been an extraordinary run... During which only against Fulham have we actually played badly. Leaving aside the most horrendous run of luck imaginable... Well I don't think the defensive errors are entirely down to bad luck and we have to tighten up but how? Right back has been a problem defensively all season, neither christie nor shotton have looked convincing. Is it too late to get someone in on loan, like wisdom? Truth is all of our defenders have made cataclysmic errors in recent games, Grant, Bucko, Keogh, Christie and Forsyth. It is very hard to legislate against individual errors like that. Don't know what grant's confidence is like if Steele and Mac can work it out or decide if time is right for Roos. Albentosa has looked solid and not made any calamitous errors.., but he looks limited too and Keogh for all his gaffes does play an important role in turning defence into attack. And finally of course the lack of martin... Hopefully that will come right soon but I really think we should have spotted that risk in the summer and got someone decent in then... Not Leon best.

Archived