Why do you think its gone so wrong?

cloughandtaylor

A few weeks back we were sat at top, 2 nil up and looking to extend the gap at the top,we then go to sleep and gave it all up.

I know we had a few really bad results prior to this, Fulham and Brighton [although robbed in that game] - but for me we have never recovered from that Brum game.

What has gone wrong with the team?

Surely its not all about missing CM, GT has not played most of the season so its not we are missing him so much. Eustace is out but really he is a squad player.

Is it a confidence thing we have got now?

I know we cannot seem to be able to defend, or play the way we are used to, - that one touch football has disappeared. We have gone from one extreme to the other in a very short space of time, we now look like a very average Championship side almost like the Clough days of old?

A dip in form, I keep hearing, but why?

We seem to have lost everything, yet only really missing one senior player [CM] from our normal starting 11.

We are dropping points left right and centre, but just as worrying are the last two performances, which have been very poor...........

I wonder why, it has to be a lack confidence?

I heard that we might have Bent back for the Wolves, which is a positive -  but I do worry that we are going to Wolves with a shell shocked side and we cannot afford another Norwich /Boro performance - we certainly cannot afford to lose this one!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few weeks back we were sat at top, 2 nil up and looking to extend the gap at the top,we then go to sleep and gave it all up.

I know we had a few really bad results prior to this, Fulham and Brighton [although robbed in that game] - but for me we have never recovered from that Brum game.

What has gone wrong with the team?

Surely its not all about missing CM, GT has not played most of the season so its not we are missing him so much. Eustace is out but really he is a squad player.

Is it a confidence thing we have got now?

I know we cannot seem to be able to defend, or play the way we are used to, - that one touch football has disappeared. We have gone from one extreme to the other in a very short space of time, we now look like a very average Championship side almost like the Clough days of old?

A dip in form, I keep hearing, but why?

We seem to have lost everything, yet only really missing one senior player [CM] from our normal starting 11.

We are dropping points left right and centre, but just as worrying are the last two performances, which have been very poor...........

I wonder why, it has to be a lack confidence?

I heard that we might have Bent back for the Wolves, which is a positive -  but I do worry that we are going to Wolves with a shell shocked side and we cannot afford another Norwich /Boro performance - we certainly cannot afford to lose this one!

The players don't believe they will get promoted. You can see that about the way they carry themselves. The swagger has gone. I sense the players are expecting something to go wrong and I think the fans do too. 

The goal was an appalling goal to concede defensively. For the third time in two games against boro, Bamford has been allowed to mince about unmarked. 

No one batted an eyelid though. "Of course we conceded a **** goal, we are derby".

I see a defeated bunch and that includes the manager. 

injuries have played a big part take three regular first teamers especially centre forward and defensive midfielder out of most teams and they would struggle. Russell should be allowed to play out wide with Thomas up top he is after all a centre forward by trade albeit a bit raw but if hed have started just after martins  injury he would have a few games under is belt by now. we are not scoring therefore not winning without him so playing  him might make the difference what have we to lose. 

Several things, over the season, could have been done better, but that's with the benefit of hindsight. Of late just a drop in confidence, the players quite clearly lack belief. But players back, one good or lucky win, confidence soars and we could well be flying. Plenty of football to be played yet and I expect Derby to be amongst it all come the end of the season. 

It was always going to be a battle when Martin went out and then Bent, especially in an attacking sense.

I think the team still feels they have the quality to achieve all the goals everyone associated with Derby County want (Management, fans, etc.) but an additional confidence boost could help also of course.

Eustace and the others being out has been quite unkind to the Rams as well. Unlucky in injuries is very much true, but the team just needs to stick together and scrape and claw their way the rest of this season.

Nothing is over with yet. At Wolves would be a tough test even if Martin and the others; without them, obviously even more so. Hopefully we can get something there, and have Martin and the others raring to go and excited after the IB.

I think as a club we got to complacent.  I think we expected to get through to the international break being in the top 2 and push on from there with a fully fit squad.

Yes we have had injuries, but every club does it should not be used as an excuse.  With the players we have, we should have picked up at least 5 points more over the past several games regardless of the formation or personnel.

I think there is where the complacency crept in, and suddenly we are desperate and losing self belief going into the boro and norwich game, and suddenly in last chance saloon.

We need confidence as much as players returning, where that is coming from though is anyone's guess.

We all know the reasons. 

Not what we need to be discussing at the moment. Just glad we have a game fri to try and atone. That said, if I must...

Our biggest ******* dropping has been persisting without a CDM early in the season and knobbing about for ages until Eust came in. That's the only thing that kills me so far this season. 

I have been disappointed that we have failed to adapt to the different requirements that the injuries have thrown up. Mac obviously had a system, which was wonderful when the correct personnel were available, but he has persisted with the system, using players totally unable to provide the skill set necessary, and a consequence has been that they have effectively been unable to play to their own strengths. 

The upshot of remaining rigid to a system of course is that everyone in their usual slot, does what they do, often with no end product, and no-one learns, and develops adaptability. 

As has been suggested elsewhere, I have wondered why, with the squad members currently available, we haven't gone 442 with a couple of "runners" in the forward positions. Will would surely appreciate the extra body working hard in midfield, thus allowing him to do what he does best.

For my part, I am just hoping that we are still in the mix, come the break, and we return in 2 weeks with a substantively fit squad. Even lower placed play-off achievement would be ok ?preferable, as you tend to go in feeling lucky, or more relaxed due to reduced expectation. Given a break or two we could dismantle anybody in the play-offs if our heads are right.

COYR.

I can't tell where it went wrong because there's been moaning all ******* season.

no plan b, **** CB's, Christie, Eustace, Omar, Dawkins x1, Leon Best, formation, Grant.

When was it ever good? What has changed?

We had the same threads in August, October, December and now. 

Only difference is before fans had to pick on small things. Now there's a few genuine struggles. 

Maybe in a couple of seasons when the plastics have pissed off and we're getting beat by Coventry at home again  people might dream of being where we are now.

But it's the "I want, I want" nature of people. Not just in football but just in general. Nobody has any patience. Want a car? Finance. Want a PS4? Finance. Want a TV?  Finance. Want money? Wonga.

That, combined with every angle and second of every kick being analysed to death by pundits who should know better having been there themselves, makes for a terribly miserable and arrogant football fan. 

I'd like to have some replays of Souness playing career to pull apart.

Hey Alan Hansen, what was you doing here? Why are you 3 yards out of position? That cost a valuable point and it's all your fault.

Football is a game. Entertainment. A break from life.

But nobody remembers. That's why we all **** about giving a minutes applause for **** nobody cares about. And start spitting feathers when Christie made a MISTAKE!! AN ACCIDENT!! 

I'd make a terrible footballer because if I was doing my best and getting **** off some fork lift driver that I'm trying my best to please I'd score the best hattrick of own goals ever

I'm going to take a completely unfounded guess and say the team togetherness everyone used to talk about has gone. New, huge contracts given out in the summer, not as "all-for one"/"we have no money so you're all on the same" as it was last season. Probably caused a little unrest (eg Keogh probably wasn't happy with his deal compared to Bryson's, hence the delay in him signing). Couple all that with Ibe being too big for his boots and an influx of similar big boy flashy January signings and that togetherness is destroyed. 

Like I say, there's absolutely no substance behind that waffle, but isn't it fun to speculate!

COYR!

Maybe the players are not as good as they have been told they are,there is a distinct lack of bottle when the chips are down injuries don't help but we've slipped back into the square pegs in round holes team selections again while still trying to play the same system it hasn't and doesn't look like its going to work, no martin has destroyed and I hope we can do enough to make the play offs because we are in real danger of messing it up

Archived