Derby County v Middlesbrough

-JW-

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Boro game feels vaguely similar to the crucial Burnley game at the end of last season. If we win, we stay in or amongst the auto places. Lose, and a gap that will be hard to make up could form.

Have to be philosophical with the injuries we've had. If we stay in the hunt and key players come back we may still do it.

Looking forward to Tuesday. Should be a good if not nerve-jangling atmosphere.

I think Boro will come full of confidence expecting a routine win over our depleted squad so we have to be ready for them and make it a hostile environment be as loud as you can I know this is a big ask given how quiet It can be at times so lets just pretend they are forest. We really need to get behind the team Tuesday night and not start grumbling if we misplace a pass we can win this COYR!

This is only supposition, but I wonder whether a more direct style was called for by the boss yesterday. I suspect for once, with the team available to him, Mac felt that he cout not out-football a good passing team like Norwich. He also had a front 3 with pace, but to be fair even when we are on song Russell and Ward can appear to have Teflon on their boots.  I think hitting the space behind the Norwich defenders (route one if you like) might have been a tactic yesterday. If we had wanted to play our passing game yesterday Christie, Bryson and certainly Dawkins would have started. I think he tried to do a Wigan.

Hey Derby fans, Boro fan in peace my first point was going to be to say we filled our allocation out for the derby away tickets for tuesdays game around 2,500 you gave us in total, i believe im myself am at uni in derby so will be going to the game pretty sure from what derby fans tell me theirs about 2k of tickets left for the derby end so very big crowd impressive for a tuesday. Id expect derby to be pretty confident before the game getting a point against norwich to keep you in that race for the top 2 espeically away from home, boro dispatching Ipswich made it likely the top 5 now will stay the top 5 until the end of the season baring any collapses. I was their at the riverside the last time we met ive got tbh, i though derby had a bad day at the office n also got out mastered tactically by karanka id expect uve learnt your lessons from last time i think well set out to play the same way again and see if you have learnt anything. Anyway should be exciting the last 9 games of the season goodluck to derby i want a boro n derby top 2, whats your predictions of who will be in your top 6 (what order) and will mclaren learn from last time out?.  

Ok be honest lad. You actually thought I was serious, despite me deliberately putting about the negative statement at the end?

This is simply a game not to lose. A draw will be a good result especially if no risks are taken with injured players. To risk Thorne or Martin would be crazy as it could lead to worse injury. 

At at this stage it is about not letting teams open up a gap, get the best team back then go on a run for the last 6 or so games. No side in this league has done what every automatic promotion teams have done in the past and averaged two points a game and it is likely that the points total needed will be lower than normal.

No risks bringing half fit players back, dig in and don't lose, keep the gap small get to the int break with the gap no more than three to the top team. Then go again with fit players.

best team for last three games of the season that is what will make the difference in this crazy league

This is simply a game not to lose. A draw will be a good result especially if no risks are taken with injured players. To risk Thorne or Martin would be crazy as it could lead to worse injury.

At at this stage it is about not letting teams open up a gap, get the best team back then go on a run for the last 6 or so games. No side in this league has done what every automatic promotion teams have done in the past and averaged two points a game and it is likely that the points total needed will be lower than normal.

No risks bringing half fit players back, dig in and don't lose, keep the gap small get to the int break with the gap no more than three to the top team. Then go again with fit players.

best team for last three games of the season that is what will make the difference in this crazy league

Yes, its a must win game, we cannot let a gap appear as will we run out of games to make up the difference.

2-1 win that will set up up for Wolves on Friday....

I am still concerned will still do not have a reconized CF -somebody to hold the ball up.....somebody to bring others into play.....We certainly cannot play the same way against Boro as we did against Norwich......

Normally a glass three-quarters full guy, but it's such a struggle with so many good players missing in our two key positions. We will need better control of the ball (managing to keep and pass it) than we did at Norwich. Do we stick to our system and pick the best options available for the standard positions, or do we pick our best fit players and choose a system that suits them?

Basically, the question is can we play Hughes, Hendrick and Bryson together (not something I'd normally advocate, but it might be the least-worst option)? For instance, we could play some sort of 4-4-2 with Hughes and Bryson central, Hendrick right-ish and Ward/Dawkins left. with Ince and one of Russell (if recovered)/Lingard/Thomas up top. I'm presuming we won't have Martin or Bent.

I think this would give us much more control in midfield which is where we were overrun at their place.

Archived