Derby County v Sheffield Wednesday

AmericanRam

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A day later, and I am still seething about our third goal. I know that the ref applied the law correctly, having read the chapter and verse that was posted on here after the Bournemouth home game. However, it does seem ridiculous that Bent's fantastic first time finish from a really difficult angle has to be ruled out in order for the red card to be given. I found myself struggling to watch the penalty - as a Rams fan of many years I always expect that injustice and downright robbery is just around the corner. (Incidentally I had a feeling earlier in the day that we would get a pen, and my money was on Ince taking it.)

So if I understand it properly... Let's say that it is 2-2 v Middlesborough. They get a corner. Everyone but the keeper comes up. It's swung in to the danger area, ricochets around and then Thorne chests it down, turns majestically and in one glorious moment releases Russell, who is away. Although still in his own half he's clear of everyone else and only has their keeper to beat, fifty yards ahead of him. A Boro player sees this, and being completely unable to influence play in any other way, as he is still in in the Derby 6 yard box, he decides to head butt Granty, who goes down in a heap. The lino sees it. Russell reaches the edge of their box, draws the keeper out, sticks it in the back of the net and performs a trademark flip in front of an adoring North stand.

Does the ref have to disallow the goal and bring play back to the other end of the pitch in order to show the red card? Ok, so it's an extreme example, but I just don't get it. (In that scenario, to return my my earlier theme of expecting the worst, Martin also gets a red for his protestations to the ref, Hughes picks up a tenth booking and Keogh's eyes finally pop out, ruling him out for the rest of the season)

A day later, and I am still seething about our third goal. I know that the ref applied the law correctly, having read the chapter and verse that was posted on here after the Bournemouth home game. However, it does seem ridiculous that Bent's fantastic first time finish from a really difficult angle has to be ruled out in order for the red card to be given. I found myself struggling to watch the penalty - as a Rams fan of many years I always expect that injustice and downright robbery is just around the corner. (Incidentally I had a feeling earlier in the day that we would get a pen, and my money was on Ince taking it.)

So if I understand it properly... Let's say that it is 2-2 v Middlesborough. They get a corner. Everyone but the keeper comes up. It's swung in to the danger area, ricochets around and then Thorne chests it down, turns majestically and in one glorious moment releases Russell, who is away. Although still in his own half he's clear of everyone else and only has their keeper to beat, fifty yards ahead of him. A Boro player sees this, and being completely unable to influence play in any other way, as he is still in in the Derby 6 yard box, he decides to head butt Granty, who goes down in a heap. The lino sees it. Russell reaches the edge of their box, draws the keeper out, sticks it in the back of the net and performs a trademark flip in front of an adoring North stand.

Does the ref have to disallow the goal and bring play back to the other end of the pitch in order to show the red card? Ok, so it's an extreme example, but I just don't get it. (In that scenario, to return my my earlier theme of expecting the worst, Martin also gets a red for his protestations to the ref, Hughes picks up a tenth booking and Keogh's eyes finally pop out, ruling him out for the rest of the season)

No. He would be red carded for being a cnut and violent play and not for a professional foul preventing a clear goal scoring opportunity.  

I'm glad that I goes to games and not posting on the matchday thread because some of our fans on here so ******* embarrassing... I laughed loud what is Ninos 'would' put Albentosa on for Will Hughes and Albentosa wasn't in the squad.

I bet Radio Derby made that sound terrible? 

Truth is, Wednesday created nothing. You know what Hendrick is like, he goes in and out of form during a single match!! Well he was actually sending a txt when the ball came to him and his dithering allowed them to sneak in a second because they never looked like doing anything. Nuhiu was always going to murder Keogh and Buxton but he's a donkey so we picked up the scraps quite well. Honestly, I'm shocked they scored twice. 

The first 20 mins were sloppy. Both CB's ignoring good options in pursuit of a better one. Just use what's there quickly! Wednesday pounced and scored a brilliant free kick. 

Seriously the back 4 were sleepy. Not off the ball. On the ball!!! Slow, indecisive and bloody blind. At one point Keogh tackled himself nearly out for a throw, Buxton dribbled down the A52 and Christie turned himself inside out. Then when Hendrick was having his bad spell it just looked so sleepy. 

Bent, Ince, Dawkins, Hughes all trying to do things a bit sharper. They were taking up great positions (Hughes screaming for the ball, Bent splitting the CB and LB and pointing to play through the gap) and were ignored until it was too late. 

In the second half the alarm clock went off and the one time we nodded off they scored. 

At no point were we getting bossed. Not at all. 

Grant (and the rest of the back 5) need a clean sheet - he's looked poor for the last couple of games. A shame when he's been consistent for the rest of the season, but I'm sure he'll bounce back. 

Shotton for Christie - unsure why this didn't happen vs. Wednesday. Christie is looking devoid of any confidence going forward, and Shotton's long throws give us a different dimension. That said, I didn't think Christie had a bad game, but he wasn't great either. Could have said that about nearly everyone in this match.

Hughes wasn't his usual self in the first half, much improved second. 

Buxton's goals just about redeemed him for some poor, slow distribution, but I thought both centre halves did well against the beanpole that is Nuihu. Don't think I've seen so many dodgy looking 'handballs' - they seemed to get every decision going in that first half.

I don't think he's been mentioned much (probably because we won) but I thought the ref was nearly as bad as the one against Reading. As I said, in that first half, it felt a lot like one of those games where we weren't going to have anything in our favour. Second half it seemed to be going mostly our way though...

It certainly didn't look like Thorne's first competitive game for 10 months. Not at his best, but equally, I thought he was the best of the midfield trio in the first half. Was unlucky not to score, his effort wasn't too far wide.

Immediate improvement with Bryson and Lingard. Extra energy against a tiring, pressured Wednesday. Lets have them starting tomorrow night. Hendrick needs to up his game, and that wasn't the game for Dawkins. 

On Dawkins - I'll repeat what I said in his dedicated thread. The moment he got the ball there were two-three surrounding him and Forsyth. It wasn't his game - it needed pace to stretch their defence, which is why Lingard and Bryson had so much joy. I suspect Charlton will be much the same.

Archived