Rotherham United v Derby County

AmericanRam

Every game is huge for every team in the top 7 - I'm not sure Wolves and Sheffield Wednesday have much going on anymore. 

I'd say the promotion race is down to seven: Derby, Middlesbrough, Bournemouth, Ipswich, Watford, Brentford, Norwich. 

I've seen a number of people tipping Norwich for automatic promotion, but with 15 games left, I would say that is almost impossible. At the very least, I think they would need to win 12 out of their remaining games. When you take into they still have to play a lot of us in the top six then it becomes a tall order. I still think they will be in the play-offs and I think Brentford will miss out. 

This game is rightfully dubbed as huge. It's about keeping our neck ahead of everyone else. If we win tomorrow, we're back top. If we lose tomorrow and Middlesbrough win on Wednesday then we will be four points behind Middlesbrough. So, if that happens twice and we then move seven points behind Middlesbrough. So on, so forth. It will take 90 points for automatic promotion this season, guarantee it. That's why I think it's a three horse race. We all have a lot riding on it.

As for the team tomorrow, I'd go: Grant; Christie, Keogh, Buxton, Forsyth; Mascarell, Hughes, Bryson; Dawkins, Ince and Bent. Roos, Shotton, Thorne, Bryson, Ward, Lingard and Thomas.

I think it will be: Grant, Shotton, Keogh, Buxton, Forsyth; Mascarell, Hughes, Hendrick; Ward, Ince and Bent. Roos, Christie, Thorne, Bryson, Dawkins, LIngard and Thomas. 

My thoughts behind my team is that we need the two wingers on the bench and a striker if needs must. Shotton can offer versatility from the bench, but Christie will give us another edge in attack - especially if we play Dawkins.

Dawkins deserves to keep his place over Hendrick and Hendrick has had more than his fair share of stinkers to be dropped, for me. Bryson hasn't been great, but neither as Hendrick. You need to keep shaking until one gets in form. Otherwise we may as employ Bryson into the mail room. 

The rest is pretty much self-explanatory. I would say go for the jugular early on and then play keep ball. Rotherham will be up for the game, but if we can knock an early goal out of them, I think they will shatter in confidence. Similar to Brighton at home.

I'll agree with 90% of this.

Hendrick has been one of the best players for us the couple of weeks. He was superb against Bolton and was an important player against Bmouth. Bryson needs to get form, but at the minute Jeff and Will deserve to start while they're doing the business

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of confidence on the board, yet it will be a really tough game. The one at our place looked as if it was going to be a draw until very late on. Rotherham will be fighting tooth and nail to keep themselves clear of the bottom three.

With Grant, Hughes and Ince coming back into the team we'll be stronger. Hopefully too strong for them. Hendrick played better than Bryson on Saturday so keeps his place.

I think Christie and Forsyth starting together in an away game or any game for that matter is asking for trouble.

One of the fullback positions IMHO opinion should be filled by a defensive minded fullback. Not two Glen Johnson types.

Also with so many ex Derby in the Rotherham side.......

We do like to treat our ex players to goals.

I've got a new found respect for Steve Evans, he's made some great comments towards us.

Rotherham boss Steve Evans believes his side can thrive in Tuesday's Sky Bet Championship encounter with high-flying Derby by making it a cup tie.

The Millers, in the thick of a relegation battle, welcome Steve McClaren's side to AESSEAL New York Stadium hoping to make it three home wins on the bounce following victories over Bolton and Ipswich.

But Evans believes they will be tested to the maximum by a Rams side he insists will be in the top flight next season.

"I think Derby will be in the Premier League next season," Evans said. "I looked at the bench that Derby were able to name and every one of those players would start at every other club at the Championship and that is a testament to the players they have got.

"They've got 16 or 17 matches left to play, do I think they will win every one of them? Absolutely no chance. We have to make sure we are one of the teams that don't allow Derby to win a match.

"We can make it three in a row, we're not silly, we need things to go our way and we need to play at the top of our game and maybe Derby be a notch down.

"They have got fantastic, fantastic players, I'm not trying to build them up into something they are not. We're going to be in their faces and make it a cup tie."

Evans was in charge of Boston when Rams boss McClaren was appointed England manager in 2007 but the two come face-to-face on a level playing field at New York, with the Scot impressed by his opposite number.

"He has got a fantastic knowledge of the game," Evans added. "You don't become manager of your country, especially a great one like England, unless you're very gifted.

"People remember the sad days of Steve McClaren at England but let's remember the positive days before he went in there.

"He was building something special at Middlesbrough, so when he got the job at Derby I said 'watch these go'.

"I've heard people who spoke about his man-management, his knowledge of a player, his coaching ability and his desire. He has got a whole repertoire of mixed skills."

Archived