The value of Hughes

jimbobram

I was thinking to myself yesterday if we may under estimate how much he is worth. Looking at the fee Bournemouth were prepared to pay for a kid who has only just broken through to the first team and the fee Spurs paid for a league 1 kid (admittedly he is very good), I think Hughes' value is way more than those examples. Hughes isn't just a prospect any more, he is arguably the best footballer in our team, regularly getting man of the match. Although i'd never want to sell him, I was just thinking about if a time did come where he wanted to move on, what would be acceptable. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hughes is unique in the English game. When he gets the chance to play in the Premier League, I don't think it will be too long before he gets into the England side. I don't dwell on his value because that sort-of goes hand-in-glove with him leaving Derby - I want to see this lad still playing for Derby when he's 26 or 27. Now wouldn't that be something? 

Hughes is unique in the English game. When he gets the chance to play in the Premier League, I don't think it will be too long before he gets into the England side. I don't dwell on his value because that sort-of goes hand-in-glove with him leaving Derby - I want to see this lad still playing for Derby when he's 26 or 27. Now wouldn't that be something?

He's our Steven Gerrard / Ryan Giggs.

Agree with Eddie. His England days are forthcoming. Hughes finally getting the love and respect on here that he fully deserves. I think Tiger is right, he will be our Steven Gerrard, but better. 12-16m sounds right now, but by the end of the season, if we get promoted, it will take no less than a massive 20m to pry him away. 

We are heading for the PL. Hughes knows this. He get's game time here. He isn't blind to our loaning of young players. He also plays for England U21's with many players who get no game time or who are constantly shipped out on loan. He is a bright lad. Leaving Derby would be a terrible move. The only upside would be more money. We are building something special here. We can absolutely become a top half Premier League side. No point leaving until the club has achieved this. 

People say Barcelona but I think they'd love him in Italy too. His composure and tactical appreciation of the game would suit him in the same way it's suited Pirlo.

But as eddie says, would be great to see him play here for a while yet. I still can't believe he's made 100 appearances before his 20th birthday.

Too right.  I think you struggle to think of another English player of similar age that can dictate a game.  Imagine if he'd bagged 10-15 goals the past two seasons, you'd be looking at

Ibe is a great prospect for Liverpool and is tipped to be a future England star, and I'd say Hughes is at least as good if not a better prospect. I realise they play different positions but the fact he is the best player (in my opinion) of the best championship side at only 19 is amazing. Is it just me that sometimes forgets he is only 19, seems so much older to me!

The past three years he's been slowly climbing the Top 100 Football League Players list in Four Four Two mag, I reckon this year he'll top it as I can't think of another player to be so good and so consistant so far this season...

Tommy Smith, maybe.

Ritchie at Bournemouth, possibly

And I'm sure Boro fans would have a fit if you didn't mention Leadbetter.

Deli Adi

Other than those I'm struggling...

We are heading for the PL. Hughes knows this. He get's game time here. He isn't blind to our loaning of young players. He also plays for England U21's with many players who get no game time or who are constantly shipped out on loan. He is a bright lad. Leaving Derby would be a terrible move. The only upside would be more money. We are building something special here. We can absolutely become a top half Premier League side. No point leaving until the club has achieved this. 

Craig? Is that you?

English football still over values "explosive" players. I agree with above that Hughes would fit perfectly in Spain and Italy. But the fact he has been allowed by the "big" clubs to play over 100 league games in the championship is quite telling. I hope he does stay here as long as possible, would be fantastic if he spent his career here, about time that happened.

Archived