Dawkins

gordinio

You have to find the right balance, that's why it's vital to have both a goal scoring threat and tactical discipline.

Hendrick and Bryson IMO is a poor CM partnership and there have been occasiosn this season where they've been utter tripe together - Forest at home being a standout.

But partner one of them with Hughes and it's completely different. Why? Hughes rarely scores, rarely assists. But he offers positioning, tactical displine, complete reliability with the ball and above all football intelligence.

Dawkins is exactly the same in this regard. He offers football intelligence. Against Forest, who knows what would have happened had he played? But one thing you can also count on from Dawks is he makes himself available, he's intelligent and he's tactically/positionally aware - the complete opposite of our shambolic midfield last week.

As for key passes - these are passing stats that lead to chances created. Whether it's a defence splitting pass or one which opens up the space for those to run into.

I don't think Dawks needs to mix it up, and I don't think Ward should change his style of play either. They both have particular attributes that they thrive at and they should be encouraged to do what they do best.

What drives me up the wall though is a large majority side with Ward because his attributes make him look more lively, more progressive and more positive.

Dawks' attributes and what he offers the team are different, massively underrated and harshly judged by the typical gung-ho mentality of the average English football fan.

Just out of interest then are you rating McClaren alongside the 'typical gung-ho mentality of the average English football fan' because he seems to have Dawkins down the pecking order of wingers?

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just out of interest then are you rating McClaren alongside the 'typical gung-ho mentality of the average English football fan' because he seems to have Dawkins down the pecking order of wingers?

There isn't that much in it in terms of starts. Russell (18) Ibe (13) Dawkins (11) Ward (12) and they've all been out injured, off form or unavailable for what ever reason at some point this season.

Besides, I've never said that Dawkins should be a guaranteed starter every week.

I'm just outlaying what he offers to the team and how important it is to have a link-up between the lines.

If it was up to me, I'd have Dawks playing and if at left-wing channel our attacks down the left side. It would free up space for a more forward-thinking RW (Russell or Ward) and it could allow Firsyth to get forward more if Dawks cuts inside.

However, I'm not naive enough to think that decisions by SM won't also be heavily influenced by the opposition.

For away matches, or in games where we look out counter more, SM might think it's better to have quicker players on the break.

There isn't that much in it in terms of starts. Russell (18) Ibe (13) Dawkins (11) Ward (12) and they've all been out injured, off form or unavailable for what ever reason at some point this season.

Besides, I've never said that Dawkins should be a guaranteed starter every week.

I'm just outlaying what he offers to the team and how important it is to have a link-up between the lines.

If it was up to me, I'd have Dawks playing and if at left-wing channel our attacks down the left side. It would free up space for a more forward-thinking RW (Russell or Ward) and it could allow Firsyth to get forward more if Dawks cuts inside.

However, I'm not naive enough to think that decisions by SM won't also be heavily influenced by the opposition.

For away matches, or in games where we look out counter more, SM might think it's better to have quicker players on the break.

All fair points.

What is your honest assessment of his 2 performances since he got back in the team?

All fair points.

What is your honest assessment of his 2 performances since he got back in the team?

Which matches? The Chesterfield and Blackburn matches?

I only listened to them, so I can't really comment. I just know what he offers the team, and if I'm being totally honest - and biased - he's my favourite player as I just really appreciate technical football.

If people want to criticise him I don't mind as Forums are all about debating. I just don't like the criticism he receives for people failing to see what he brings to the team and highlighting the things he doesn't do.

If you want to criticise him for that, it would akin to criticising Chris Martin for not running the channels or beating the defence for pace.

Which matches? The Chesterfield and Blackburn matches?

I only listened to them, so I can't really comment. I just know what he offers the team, and if I'm being totally honest - and biased - he's my favourite player as I just really appreciate technical football.

If people want to criticise him I don't mind as Forums are all about debating. I just don't like the criticism he receives for people failing to see what he brings to the team and highlighting the things he doesn't do.

If you want to criticise him for that, it would akin to criticising Chris Martin for not running the channels or beating the defence for pace.

Yes, those were the matches I was on about.

Chesterfield he was awful and to be honest did not look interested.

Thought he was slightly better today.

Not sure if the 'personal issues' are anything to do with it.

Understand your points but I do think he needs to bring more to the team other than just ball retention.

Also just so you know...Ward is not my favourite player!

Yes, those were the matches I was on about.

Chesterfield he was awful and to be honest did not look interested.

Thought he was slightly better today.

Not sure if the 'personal issues' are anything to do with it.

Understand your points but I do think he needs to bring more to the team other than just ball retention.

Also just so you know...Ward is not my favourite player!

With the points I made earlier, I think he does offer more than ball retention but we'll just leave it at that.

As for next week against Cardiff City, they're as direct as they come and at the Ipro they just sat back and looked to soak up pressure and hit us from set-pieces, which they did.

It's an ideal game for Dawkins, his inter-play will be crucial so I hope he arrives on form.

So is it not possible to enjoy winning but also analyse the match?

If you just want to be happy and not read others thoughts about matches I would suggest not logging on for a few days after matches?

I just can't get over the constant sniping at individual players that's going on at the moment.

It's as if people are rubbing their hands waiting for them to fail....oh damn, Keoghs had a great game tonight, let's have a go at, erm....Dawkins, yeah he's always a soft target.

FFS what do people want? We're second in the league on goal difference, we've kept 6 clean sheets in 7, scored 13 goals and let in two, we've got a winnable home tie in the 5th round of the FA Cup and only lost to Chelsea in the League Cup.

With the points I made earlier, I think he does offer more than ball retention but we'll just leave it at that.

As for next week against Cardiff City, they're as direct as they come and at the Ipro they just sat back and looked to soak up pressure and hit us from set-pieces, which they did.

It's an ideal game for Dawkins, his inter-play will be crucial so I hope he arrives on form.

His interplay is right up there amongst our best. I thought he, hughes and martin were great against Wolves - mind the whole team was tbf

Dawkins is one of the best touch players I have seen. Very subtle. A bit too subtle for some fans?

I don't think anyone disagrees. A really fantastic footballer with very little end product. This is why he was made 4th choice, not by the fans, but by the management. 

I don't think anyone disagrees. A really fantastic footballer with very little end product. This is why he was made 4th choice, not by the fans, but by the management. 

He was made 4th choice by you. Why do you think Ward is ahead of him?

It astounds me, but doesn't surprise me just how good Ibe is (to Derby fans) now that he's gone back to Liverpool.

I'd be willing to gamble money that for every mistake, misplaced pass, poor touch, or ineffective run that Dawkins made, Ibe made 2x or 3x that number.

Dawkins has a specific role, you don't criticise him for his shot-stopping, simply because he's not a goalkeeper, so why criticise him for other things he doesn't do, that he's NOT asked to do.

I'm also pretty sure the words "family problems" were said about him on t'radio last night.

I like Dawkins, always looks like he has control of the ball. Someone should be checking if there's glue on his boots.

However, last night, he turned his back on goal far too much. Had this game to step up and show he wanted that place, but didn't do enough for me. Maybe try him in the hole behind Martin and Bent? Give him the pitch to dictate play, like Hughes can?

I just can't get over the constant sniping at individual players that's going on at the moment.

It's as if people are rubbing their hands waiting for them to fail....oh damn, Keoghs had a great game tonight, let's have a go at, erm....Dawkins, yeah he's always a soft target.

FFS what do people want? We're second in the league on goal difference, we've kept 6 clean sheets in 7, scored 13 goals and let in two, we've got a winnable home tie in the 5th round of the FA Cup and only lost to Chelsea in the League Cup.

Why does it always have to be classed as sniping or making someone a scapegoat though?

Do we live in a world now where even constructive criticism is something that offends everyone?!

Why does it always have to be classed as sniping or making someone a scapegoat though?

Do we live in a world now where even constructive criticism is something that offends everyone?!

I agree with this. Earlier in the season I was accused of making a scapegoat out of Forsyth when I was just saying that I thought he had been really poor this season. Criticising someone doesn't always equal scapegoating. 

On the other hand, I completely disagree with your criticism and Dawkins has been made the scapegoat by a good many.

I agree with this. Earlier in the season I was accused of making a scapegoat out of Forsyth when I was just saying that I thought he had been really poor this season. Criticising someone doesn't always equal scapegoating. 

On the other hand, I completely disagree with your criticism and Dawkins has been made the scapegoat by a good many.

And that's why football is such a great sport, because people see the game in many different ways and opinions can vary so much.

As a fan of Dawkins, you probably tend to watch all of the good things he does and make a point of them, as the jury is still out for me I probably tend to go the other way.

Personally, I don't see what he can really have been made a scapegoat for, he did not even play against Forest!

I am offended by that statement.

Because a lot of the time it is sniping, people get so entrenched in their decision that xxxxxx is crap that they never see anything good.

We've had some seriously **** players in the last 10 years who didn't give a damn about the club, who deserved all the criticism they got, but this group of players are 100%.

Archived