Have we pushed the financial boat out this season?

Rev

I was just thinking of that quote from Nixon 'We've had our wallet open all season'. Is that really true?

I know we signed Thorne, but seems to me that was covered from Wembley money. Otherwise we've signed Christie, for a fee of around 100k, rising to 300k with add ons, and Shotton for around 500k I'd guess. Loan wise we've had Ibe, no more expensive than Wisdom I'd guess, Omar who I'd not thought was expensive, and Bent/Best, for around 16k a week reputedly, easily covered by the Ipro deal I'd have thought?

Seems to me their should be plenty left in the pot for more signings, even Albantosa seems cheap at

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we are being prudent. Bent will get signed if we go up. Won't cost much except wages if he wants to come. You are right though, it is a tight ship. In a way after the last lot of financial disasters it is no bad thing IMO. Short of a wealthy Arab we aren't going to be get rich quick spenders for a while. Does anyone know what profit / loss we are at and what debts and debt service costs are ? In the end it's a business .. Spend 10 million on a player and we need to make an extra million or more a year to cover the cost of that capital outlay.

Think we were about a million inside of ffp last year, not asking for us to go on a spree, just trying to qualify Nixons comments, don't see us spending lots either, which makes me think he's talking sausage!

Think we were about a million inside of ffp last year, not asking for us to go on a spree, just trying to qualify Nixons comments, don't see us spending lots either, which makes me think he's talking sausage!

Not necessarily. Boycie has always got his wallet out, but I have never see him buy a round.

Not necessarily. Boycie has always got his wallet out, but I have never see him buy a round.

Not his fault there's always a massive queue at the bar when it's his round, it's not like he plans it or ought.

Absolutely. I don't think we're naive enough to overlook the obvious - we're of a completely different mindset than when we was under Clough. I think the owners are taking a much more active stance on us now, too. 

George Thorne didn't break our record transfer fee, no. However, he had just signed a new contract with West Brom and was in a fairly unusual bargaining position. If he isn't on relatively big money, I'd be shocked. 

10* of our existing first team players sign new deals - we're not daft enough to think they've took reduced terms and in some cases, Bryson, would have seen their wage rise incredibly. 

This window has seen Darren Bent come in - let's be honest, he's not going to be cheap - and Albentosa. When we signed Albentosa, I knew exactly what it meant. He's going to be not short of a few bob for a while - that's for sure. He didn't pick us over more established top-tier clubs because he fancied the peak district. We've paid him enough to ignore the other interested parties and come here. 

Obviously, we're not daft and we're not going to break any rules but we've certainly upped our brackets. 

Absolutely. I don't think we're naive enough to overlook the obvious - we're of a completely different mindset than when we was under Clough. I think the owners are taking a much more active stance on us now, too.

George Thorne didn't break our record transfer fee, no. However, he had just signed a new contract with West Brom and was in a fairly unusual bargaining position. If he isn't on relatively big money, I'd be shocked.

10* of our existing first team players sign new deals - we're not daft enough to think they've took reduced terms and in some cases, Bryson, would have seen their wage rise incredibly.

This window has seen Darren Bent come in - let's be honest, he's not going to be cheap - and Albentosa. When we signed Albentosa, I knew exactly what it meant. He's going to be not short of a few bob for a while - that's for sure. He didn't pick us over more established top-tier clubs because he fancied the peak district. We've paid him enough to ignore the other interested parties and come here.

Obviously, we're not daft and we're not going to break any rules but we've certainly upped our brackets.

So in that case, you don't see us making a big money signing this window?

So in that case, you don't see us making a big money signing this window?

I don't know. 

I guess it depends on who becomes available. I don't think we'll spend for the sake of it, but I'm more than willing to bet if we see an expensive deal we feel that's good for both the short and long-term we'll take it.

What he said

The new contracts for most of the players won't have come cheap, nor the Ibe and Bent wages, there has been a huge shift in the funding this season already.

It won't break us if we don't go up, but the Investment group will be getting their wallets out again.

I agree with the general leaning here that we will have upped wages to get key players re-signed and incomers will have been offered generous packages. I suspect this wage bill will be manageable as a championship club. What we haven't done, and I doubt we will until promotion is won is spend capital on a high value player. We won't be spending prem cash until we are in the prem with the income to finance the spending. We will however pay good wages for players who work in either league. I.e.Talented players at the end of a careers, younger players with potential or hopefully unearthed bargains from La Ligua ??? !!

I think if you look at all of the above signings loans et all, and consider what we signed in the previous 5 seasons I would have to agree that derby have indeed splashed a bit more money out in an attempt at promotion.

I don't think that they have been spending over what we have earned i.e playoffs 2 Chelsea ties with a run to the qf league cup. these I would guess generated a good revenue for the club. Also a rise in Season ticket sales.

I would think there will be no more permanent signings this window maybe 1 loan to replace Ibe.

I'm sure that I must have it wrong, but it seems to me that if we are promoted and break FFP we will get a fine - although how enforceable that is questionable. If we don't go up we get an embargo until such time as we can prove that we are going achieve compliance.

Now, after this season the rules change and the allowed losses are greater and it is taken over a three year period. So surely then, as long as we can show that we comply with next season's rules we have achieved compliance and thus any embargo would instantly be removed? By my very rough reckoning, I'd say that we can now 'lose' an extra c

Archived