Have we pushed the financial boat out this season?

Rev

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Bournemouth making 5 million bids, Norwich 4 million, Derby 400k purchase, a backup freebie from leeds, and a unwanted loaner from Villa, not exactly pushing the boat out I'd say.

Sensible though.

I reckon if we get promoted we'll push the boat out. We'll bring in a quality striker, winger, CM and fullback IMO.

Sensible though.

I reckon if we get promoted we'll push the boat out. We'll bring in a quality striker, winger, CM and fullback IMO.

Yes it's sensible, just get the feeling we could be kicking ourselves if a few million on one special player is the difference between 2nd and 3rd.

Suppose money's no guarantee of success though.

Bournemouth making 5 million bids, Norwich 4 million, Derby 400k purchase, a backup freebie from leeds, and a unwanted loaner from Villa, not exactly pushing the boat out I'd say.

Still would say in terms of what we've done to get those players in, the money we've spent on the recruitment structure, and the wages those players are on that relatively speaking, we've been pushing the boat out.

Doesn't mean we haven't been smart with our money. Bournemouth and Norwich aren't so much pushing the boat out as firing from the hip.

Great comments on here. I think there was a big kitty for us to buy a striker and centre back (7-10m probably) - but the availability of Albentosa and Bent made it unnecessary to spend anywhere near that. It was great short term business and it didn't compromise quality. It made better sense to keep the money for a big splash in the summer if we got promoted buy ONLY if we thought we could do the job with these players. 

Bournemouth to their credit do have some sellable assets if they spend big now and fail to get up.

Matt Ritchie could probbaly command an $8m fee from someone like QPR or Villa in the summer.

Slightly off topic, but can never figure out why Martin's never linked with a big money move? (Feel free not to reply to this one Ninos!)

Read an article on Sky website the other day talking about which championship players would attract interest, he wasn't even mentioned!

Glad he's overlooked, but puzzled.

Slightly off topic, but can never figure out why Martin's never linked with a big money move? (Feel free not to reply to this one Ninos!)

Read an article on Sky website the other day talking about which championship players would attract interest, he wasn't even mentioned!

Glad he's overlooked, but puzzled.

As good as Martin is, he can only play this specific role of a centre-forward.

Nobody in the Premier League is going to buy Martin and either install him as their number one striker, or change their whole system around to suit a player who has made a name for himself in the second tier.

He doesn't suit the longball game, he's not a pacey striker you can push out to the wing and he wouldn't be as effective playing alongside another striker in a 4-4-2 without the midfield runners.

I don't even think he's a good fit for Scotland to be honest. There is no way they will be able to get the best out of him like we do.

We can coun ourselves lucky to have him, but on the other hand he can count himself lucky to be in a team designed to play around him. Imagine if he stayed at Norwich, where would he fit in?

Or imagine him at Birmingham or Bolton? He wouldn't be half as effective.

As good as Martin is, he can only play this specific role of a centre-forward.

Nobody in the Premier League is going to buy Martin and either install him as their number one striker, or change their whole system around to suit a player who has made a name for himself in the second tier.

He doesn't suit the longball game, he's not a pacey striker you can push out to the wing and he wouldn't be as effective playing alongside another striker in a 4-4-2 without the midfield runners.

I don't even think he's a good fit for Scotland to be honest. There is no way they will be able to get the best out of him like we do.

We can coun ourselves lucky to have him, but on the other hand he can count himself lucky to be in a team designed to play around him. Imagine if he stayed at Norwich, where would he fit in?

Or imagine him at Birmingham or Bolton? He wouldn't be half as effective.

All very good points, but still suprised some bellend like Redknapps not been in for him on goals alone!

Not a big enough name I don't think.

He's after Adebayor and Ayew. Typical donkey signings, like Samba two years ago.

He does like to sign the same players again and again doesn't he, suppose it helps they've already got his Cayman Island bank details!

Archived