Have we pushed the financial boat out this season?

Rev

Slightly off topic, but can never figure out why Martin's never linked with a big money move? (Feel free not to reply to this one Ninos!)

Read an article on Sky website the other day talking about which championship players would attract interest, he wasn't even mentioned!

Glad he's overlooked, but puzzled.

Couldn't resist, sorry. Do you want the obvious answer? :)

Which team is looking for a slow striker, who doesn't work that hard, moans a lot, and can't beat defenders, is mediocre in the air?

If you want to build a passing team that uses the striker as a pivot, one who has nice flicks draws fouls and has credible goalscoring numbers, then there's interest, but no premiership team plays like that or would want a player like that. They all have or desire lethal strikers who can turn defenders inside out - players who can turn games even when the team isn't doing well. Martin is not that at all.  The market for Martin would be Championship team or League 1 promotion chasing team. Same thing is true for Buxton as a defender by the way.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn't resist, sorry. Do you want the obvious answer? :)

Which team is looking for a slow striker, who doesn't work that hard, moans a lot, and can't beat defenders, is mediocre in the air?

If you want to build a passing team that uses the striker as a pivot, one who has nice flicks draws fouls and has credible goalscoring numbers, then there's interest, but no premiership team plays like that or would want a player like that. They all have or desire lethal strikers who can turn defenders inside out - players who can turn games even when the team isn't doing well. Martin is not that at all. The market for Martin would be Championship team or League 1 promotion chasing team. Same thing is true for Buxton as a defender by the way.

He looked mediocre in the air Saturday didn't he? (At least he did from my position in the urinals at Cardiff!).

He looked mediocre in the air Saturday didn't he? (At least he did from my position in the urinals at Cardiff!).

I actually give him some credit for winning quite a few headers defensively on opponents' crosses and corners. He excels there for us to be fair. 

If you want to build a passing team that uses the striker as a pivot, one who has nice flicks draws fouls and has credible goalscoring numbers, then there's interest, but no premiership team plays like that or would want a player like that. 

Giroud at Arsenal, Costa at Chelsea, Dzeko at Man City, Pelle at Southampton, Adebayour at wherever he's off to, Carroll at West Ham, Crouch at Stoke, Ulloa at Leicester, Austin at QPR, Wigwam at Sunderland, Anichebe at West Brom

Admittedly a LOT of those players are better than Martin however they're not known for running in behind defences (except maybe behind mertesacker)

Giroud at Arsenal, Costa at Chelsea, Dzeko at Man City, Pelle at Southampton, Adebayour at wherever he's off to, Carroll at West Ham, Crouch at Stoke, Ulloa at Leicester, Austin at QPR, Wigwam at Sunderland, Anichebe at West Brom

Admittedly a LOT of those players are better than Martin however they're not known for running in behind defences (except maybe behind mertesacker)

You're telling me that Martin compares to Crouch and Carroll as a hold up/aerial threat player? Dzeko? Come on. Beginning to sound as ridiculous as that Owen Bradley piece saying Martin was Diego Costa. Let's not embarrass ourselves. The point here is that no premier league team is interested in Martin.

You're telling me that Martin compares to Crouch and Carroll as a hold up/aerial threat player? Dzeko? Come on. Beginning to sound as ridiculous as that Owen Bradley piece saying Martin was Diego Costa. Let's not embarrass ourselves. The point here is that no premier league team is interested in Martin.

He does in style, not in ability.

I think that's what Cheron was saying.

He does in style, not in ability.

I think that's what Cheron was saying.

So he doesn't have the ability to play in the premier league but he has the style to? So he's the same as some of them in a parallel inferior universe, okay then.

I feel that it would be a waste of both our time to try and explain the concept of 'comparison' to you again as you obviously didn't get it last time...

You said that no Premier League team plays in a way which uses a striker as a pivot... And I'm pointing out that all of those players act as a pivot in their relative teams...

In your quoted post here you've changed your specs and asked if he's as much of an aerial threat as Carroll etc... No... Obviously not... But that wasn't your original point so obviously I wasn't making that counter argument... I can't answer a statement you haven't made yet... I'm not Mystic Meg!

However... If Charlie Austin can make the step up to the Premier League why not Martin? Austin doesn't have much more pedigree than Martin and his goalscoring record in the seasons leading up to this one are comparable to Martin's...

So he doesn't have the ability to play in the premier league but he has the style to? So he's the same as some of them in a parallel inferior universe, okay then.

I never said that. I said he compares to those players in style.

The same way I say Dawkins in style is similar to Iniesta - I'm not not comparing them ability wise as that would be stupid, but Dawks uses agility, ball retention and movement to his effect - not power, silky skills or pace.

Martin compares to the lone target man as they have similar jobs. Diego Costa does exactly what is asked of Martin - ball into feet, play between the lines, link up with midfield runners. The comparison in style is OK, in ability clearly not.

I don't think anybody is saying Martin has the style to play in the Premier League as it is totally dependant on how his team get the best out of him.

But remember, players such as Danny Graham and Kenwne Jones were also effective in the Premier League - ableit for a while.

I never said that. I said he compares to those players in style.

The same way I say Dawkins in style is similar to Iniesta - I'm not not comparing them ability wise as that would be stupid, but Dawks uses agility, ball retention and movement to his effect - not power, silky skills or pace.

Martin compares to the lone target man as they have similar jobs. Diego Costa does exactly what is asked of Martin - ball into feet, play between the lines, link up with midfield runners. The comparison in style is OK, in ability clearly not.

I don't think anybody is saying Martin has the style to play in the Premier League as it is totally dependant on how his team get the best out of him.

But remember, players such as Danny Graham and Kenwne Jones were also effective in the Premier League - ableit for a while.

Okay good clarification Bris ... but you're wrong on one point. You (and maybe I-Ram and a few others) are the ONLY people i've heard say that he isn't good enough for the premier league, everyone else including Cheron here seem to think he is.  That's the mind-boggling bit to me. That's why i'd rather we jettison him while he has some value, otherwise he will be found out, and will be worth nothing which is what happened with Norwich. Plus if we go up, i want us to get off to a flier, and I think we will suffer with the likes of him up front against PL teams. The debate here was started because of a sense of surprise that there is never any interest in him. 

Few years ago Man Utd were looking at him/ #justsaying.

Okay good clarification Bris ... but you're wrong on one point. You (and maybe I-Ram and a few others) are the ONLY people i've heard say that he isn't good enough for the premier league, everyone else including Cheron here seem to think he is.  That's the mind-boggling bit to me. That's why i'd rather we jettison him while he has some value, otherwise he will be found out, and will be worth nothing which is what happened with Norwich. Plus if we go up, i want us to get off to a flier, and I think we will suffer with the likes of him up front against PL teams. The debate here was started because of a sense of surprise that there is never any interest in him. 

Steady on buddy, I've not said that he's not good enough for the Premier League.

You will never know until we get there. Like I said, we play to get the best out of Martin, he probably wouldn't get such a luxury at other clubs therefore it's unfair to suggest he's not good enough off the back of performances for Scotland or Norwich.

On what basis do you think he will be found out? Off cup games againt Chelsea? That's unfair.

You can't say because our team will evolve when we get promoted. Martin won't be getting the ball played into his neck by Keogh and Ward at PL level, because chances those two players won't be in the XI in the PL, instead they'll be replaced with far better technical players.

Technically, Martin is one of the best strikers I've seen in the Championship. That won't disappear if we get to the Premier League. Only his lack of pace and sharp thinking will be his downfall.

But then again, it's not like we can expect him to get 15 goals up there. Not many strikers do.

Chris Martin (or Chrissie as Big Mac calls him) is a damn good Championship player. But that's it so far as I'm concerned

we'll have to wait and see wont we, he's got a great strike record, similar to record to players like Ings and Austin and they do alright up there

Great comments on here. I think there was a big kitty for us to buy a striker and centre back (7-10m probably) - but the availability of Albentosa and Bent made it unnecessary to spend anywhere near that. It was great short term business and it didn't compromise quality. It made better sense to keep the money for a big splash in the summer if we got promoted buy ONLY if we thought we could do the job with these players.

And the key comment Ninos makes here is that there was no compromise on quality. 100% spot on. For very modest outlay we seem to have a former England striker and a quality centre back. In today's market we could easily have spent 10 million for those two. And if Bent does prove his worth we could have 3 or more years out of him signed on a free.

I am very very optimistic about our recruitment policy. We haven't got big money so we need to be savvy, canny, intelligent. On recent form that is exactly what we are doing.

As the question related to the season,rather than just the Jan window,you also have to factor in Thorne and Dawkins+ the various contract extensions + the additions to the development squad.I'd say the answer is a resounding yes,and I congratulate our owners and all others involved.This activity must be comfortably the highest since 08/09.We have momentum on all fronts,very much a sign of a club on the up.

Archived