Derby County v Chesterfield

Mafiabob

According to anyone actually going to the game , the spireites had more of the game, but unfortunately could not muster the clinical edge required in the final third.

Personally, I thought the game was a good game of football, and had we (chesterfield)  had more quality action in the final 3rd the result may have been different. I had a number of conversations with Derby fans before, during and after - all in good spirits - and all seemed to agree. Speaking to Martin after the game, he thought our play was as good as most you've come across in the Championship this season - obviously easy to say after victory.

I don't think you'll get to the final, some of your play is a little one dimensional, which will catch you out against anyone of stature. That said I hope you do well, just as I posted last season re playoffs. Personally I hope you get promotion, we're all from Derbyshire afterall, but never are either sides in the shadow of the other. We play football on the deck with Paul Cook, long may it continue.

Best of luck

We aren't a one dimensional team really, today was a day of experimenting. About 3 or 4 different formations throughout the game. When Bent plays, it's sorta worth the one dimensional play, but that was Bent's first start for the club.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to anyone actually going to the game , the spireites had more of the game, but unfortunately could not muster the clinical edge required in the final third.

Personally, I thought the game was a good game of football, and had we (chesterfield)  had more quality action in the final 3rd the result may have been different. I had a number of conversations with Derby fans before, during and after - all in good spirits - and all seemed to agree. Speaking to Martin after the game, he thought our play was as good as most you've come across in the Championship this season - obviously easy to say after victory.

I don't think you'll get to the final, some of your play is a little one dimensional, which will catch you out against anyone of stature. That said I hope you do well, just as I posted last season re playoffs. Personally I hope you get promotion, we're all from Derbyshire afterall, but never are either sides in the shadow of the other. We play football on the deck with Paul Cook, long may it continue.

Best of luck

Chesterfield are very very good. Their passing was excellent. The defence was a bit shaky, especially on the Hughes goal, letting him run in like that, as well as the breakaways. Notice that Derby's centre halves never let Doyle get in behind them. The final shots from Chesterfield were awful, slapping at balls and sending them high, rather than settling and shooting, or taking the ball closer in. 

And you didn't really see Derby play in their own comfortable formation, and pass the ball around, until we hit injury time when we had a 2 minute spell of the real Derby in action. We didn't play today to win, we played to learn about who we are and what we could be.

First off  hard luck to Chesterfield they gave it everything and they play football the way it should be played..hope it takes them to promotion this season.

Main point for me was that Albentossa was a class apart from the Keogh and Buxton so cool and composed both on and off the ball also even though is English is limited he was telling players where he wanted them and  bossing the backline would have been interesting to see him in a back four.

Not sure which one will step aside but one of Buxton and Keogh definitely will because this guy way better than both of them if Chris Evans has another up his sleeve lets get them signed up

We won. Excellent. But I have some reservations and preoccupations .... Albintosa looks the business which fills my heart with joy because Buxton and Keogh, warriors though they are, lack composure. Defensive panics when under pressure are becoming monotonously regular.

Our back line doesn't move the ball forward fast enough. But I don't know if this is their shortcomings or because the midfield don't give them a ball to play. ? Experts fill me in please ! IMO Our midfield didn't press today they just sat too deep. The poster who said if Chesterfield had something in the last 3rd was spot on. Hughes was the difference along with threat from Bent which unsettled them. The last 10 mins or so when Martin dropped a bit deeper were encouraging. I suppose with the formation jiggling some of what we saw is to be expected but it makes me mighty twitchy with Blackburn coming up .

They have yes Doyle, I think he (not sure) missed one of the good chances from the edge of the six yard box in the first half and not sure who missed the other over the bar in the second looking at the stats doyle scores nearly half their goals so I guess if he's not on form there's no one else

We won. Excellent. But I have some reservations and preoccupations .... Albintosa looks the business which fills my heart with joy because Buxton and Keogh, warriors though they are, lack composure. Defensive panics when under pressure are becoming monotonously regular.

Our back line doesn't move the ball forward fast enough. But I don't know if this is their shortcomings or because the midfield don't give them a ball to play. ? Experts fill me in please ! IMO Our midfield didn't press today they just sat too deep. The poster who said if Chesterfield had something in the last 3rd was spot on. Hughes was the difference along with threat from Bent which unsettled them. The last 10 mins or so when Martin dropped a bit deeper were encouraging. I suppose with the formation jiggling some of what we saw is to be expected but it makes me mighty twitchy with Blackburn coming up .

At times he dropped so deep he almost looked like he was on the bench to me....

Nortonblue is right chesterfield def need a finisher they had two clear chances that should have been goals

Mind you our finishing wasn't great bent should have had a hat trick and Russell should have score too.

Completely agree about Albentosa, he looked premier league quality to me.  Paired with Keogh at the back, with George Thorne in front of them, Will Hughes at the heart of the midfield and Chris Martin leading the line - that would be the spine of a bloody competitive premier league side. 

Enjoyed the game, looked to me what it was - high end championship team v a good league 1 team.

Chesterfield played well but had nothing of note in the final third; that's the difference between the leagues but they should go into the second half of the season with confidence - if they had a better strikeforce they'd be a decent Championship side.

We played well enough. Hughes and Bucko were the standouts for me, alarmed when Ward and Dawkns came on - both were rubbish. Dawkins particularly looked totally disinterested and made very little effort, Ward wasn't much better. That put extra pressure on the full backs. If they are our two wingers for the next few weeks, depending on JR's injury, then they need to buck their ideas up sharp. Both are miles off what Russell and Ibe were giving the team.

Very impressed by Bent, likewise Albentosa. Keogh should be worried. If we are going to stick with a defensive midfielder we need to replace Mascarell.

Like the second half diamond in midfield, Martin looked a lot more effective dropping in behind Bent.

Glad to be in round 5.

The first system was very bad and not one player looked comfortable. The second half was much better, but there was a definite emphasis on getting Bent the ball.

Anyway, haven't got long, so here are my player ratings:

Roos - 7

Christie - 5

Keogh - 5

Buxton - 6

Forsyth - 6

Mascarell - 6

Hughes - 8

Hendrick - 7

Martin - 7

Bent - 7

Russell - 6, Albentosa - 6, Dawkins - 5 and Ward - 6. 

Archived