Derby County v Chesterfield

Mafiabob

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Basically today should shut up all the people who think they are playing champ manager and want us to change the system every week. We have our way of playing and it's what suits us best.

Bent I thought showed that he will be a useful player in the run in as clearly is a threat and gives us some pace in behind teams.

Steve McClaren must be an avid Champ Manager fan then, because he changed the system not the fans. And he did it without having given any hint that he would in the days leading up to the game as well. And maybe he thought the system might need looking at? Your issue is with the manager, not the fans.

Overall a good cup tie their #3 jones looked capable of playing at a higher level if they had been able to finish we could have been in trouble, a moment of quality from Will settled it for us. Good to see Bent take his chance and maybe he will make us more of a threat at set pieces although with PL standards he should have scored the one on one in the 2H. Still we lost possession in some worrying situations but the right result and looking forward to the draw..

Steve McClaren must be an avid Champ Manager fan then, because he changed the system not the fans. And he did it without having given any hint that he would in the days leading up to the game as well. And maybe he thought the system might need looking at? Your issue is with the manager, not the fans.

No the manager wanted to look at different systems and used a cup match to do that in what isn't our priority. Nothing wrong with that.

Many people on here are constantly saying we would be better playing 352, 442, 4231 etc that's quite different to what our manager did. So please don't try and tell me who I have an issue with as you haven't got a clue.

Today proved the players fit best into 433 that's why we play it every week

No the manager wanted to look at different systems and used a cup match to do that in what isn't our priority. Nothing wrong with that.

Many people on here are constantly saying we would be better playing 352, 442, 4231 etc that's quite different to what our manager did. So please don't try and tell me who I have an issue with as you haven't got a clue.

Today proved the players fit best into 433 that's why we play it every week

Oooh, sorry!

No need to be mardy about it.

If we all know that the players fit best into 433 and that's why we play it every week, why did the manager change it today? Why did he want to look at different systems if he's so sure of what you're so sure of? That was my point.

Actually I apologise for my little rant about 352.

Although I do still find it odd that you try a formation that you haven't got the players for.

But if he wanted to test a few things then this is the only chance.

No more wingbacks though please.

Good match though. And we were really good at times. Really good.

Best chant was the : you live in the shadow of derby ...I think it was In response to their "Chesterfield pride of Derbyshire" Chant. Classic.

Congratulations on the result today. I haven't read the reports, but a win is a win, so I hope everyone is happy. Our match was brilliant from the sound of it - I could only listen to the radio via the internet. Clearly we were crap first half, gave it a go in the second half, and got the winner in time added on - how good is that.

And virtually none of the teams in the top half of the Prem are through yet, with Man U and Liverpool having dodgy replays. Let's cheer for Brizzle City, Bournemouth, Brighton and Rochdale over the next couple of days, so the real fans get a chance of glory. And let's hope that the Foxes don't draw the Rams in the next round. Save that for Wembley.

Congratulations on the result today. I haven't read the reports, but a win is a win, so I hope everyone is happy. Our match was brilliant from the sound of it - I could only listen to the radio via the internet. Clearly we were crap first half, gave it a go in the second half, and got the winner in time added on - how good is that.

And virtually none of the teams in the top half of the Prem are through yet, with Man U and Liverpool having dodgy replays. Let's cheer for Brizzle City, Bournemouth, Brighton and Rochdale over the next couple of days, so the real fans get a chance of glory. And let's hope that the Foxes don't draw the Rams in the next round. Save that for Wembley.

And revenge ;) Nahhhhh you will probably lose next round say like Sheffield/Preston. Great result though. :)

I don't play championship manager but if asked I would say we normally set up as 4-1-4-1 (5-4-1) moving to 4-3-3 when in possession and attacking. Johnny and Jamie running the channels supporting Chris.

Oooh, sorry!

No need to be mardy about it.

If we all know that the players fit best into 433 and that's why we play it every week, why did the manager change it today? Why did he want to look at different systems if he's so sure of what you're so sure of? That was my point.

As he said he just wanted to look at options of playing a front 2 in case we need to change to it. If we change it he always goes 442 so he was trying something differnet. Maybe he was trying to find this amazing plan b many keep going on about.

Sometimes the players just aren't good enough or smart enough to play the formation.

When you get into the Premiership you have to adapt quickly. We are still very naive at times as a team, but the biggest problem is clearly our lack of a good CDM. Today we tried to compensate by playing three central mids, supported by the two full-backs. Mascarell is no lynch-pin. I think he is capable of playing with Hughes in front of a CDM. Our transfer priority must be a Eustace replacement IMO. 

Would say largely unconvincing given the chances Chesterfield created but we'll take the win, wouldn't have brought Russell on if his hamstring was dodgy, could be a big loss against Blackburn on Tuesday

Roos 7 - one slight juggle but overall pretty solid

Christie 6 - seems to do a few silly things as the game goes on but overall was ok

Forsyth 6 - steady enough but passing not great

Albentosa 7 - looked solid enough in the middle of the back five first half

Keogh 6 - looked nervy on the right of the three and uncertain in possession

Buxton 6 - similarly looked bit exposed on left but better in second half

Mascarell 6 - some good early passing though lost out mostly in the physical stuff

Hughes 7 - a few misplaced passes but at the heart of most of the good play too

Hendrick 7 - much better than in the Forest game, got forward quite well

Martin 6 - slow start but came more into the game before he went off

Bent 7 - looked dangerous playing on the last man, could have had hat trick

Subs

Dawkins 5 - looked out of sorts initially maybe having missed some training, but did hit bar

Russell 6 - wouldn't have risked him if he was carrying an injury

Ward 6 - no great impact on the game

According to the Beeb , they had more possession and more shots.

Better not do that next game .

Blackburn looked pretty good today .

According to anyone actually going to the game , the spireites had more of the game, but unfortunately could not muster the clinical edge required in the final third.

Personally, I thought the game was a good game of football, and had we (chesterfield)  had more quality action in the final 3rd the result may have been different. I had a number of conversations with Derby fans before, during and after - all in good spirits - and all seemed to agree. Speaking to Martin after the game, he thought our play was as good as most you've come across in the Championship this season - obviously easy to say after victory.

I don't think you'll get to the final, some of your play is a little one dimensional, which will catch you out against anyone of stature. That said I hope you do well, just as I posted last season re playoffs. Personally I hope you get promotion, we're all from Derbyshire afterall, but never are either sides in the shadow of the other. We play football on the deck with Paul Cook, long may it continue.

Best of luck

According to anyone actually going to the game , the spireites had more of the game, but unfortunately could not muster the clinical edge required in the final third.

Personally, I thought the game was a good game of football, and had we (chesterfield)  had more quality action in the final 3rd the result may have been different. I had a number of conversations with Derby fans before, during and after - all in good spirits - and all seemed to agree. Speaking to Martin after the game, he thought our play was as good as most you've come across in the Championship this season - obviously easy to say after victory.

I don't think you'll get to the final, some of your play is a little one dimensional, which will catch you out against anyone of stature. That said I hope you do well, just as I posted last season re playoffs. Personally I hope you get promotion, we're all from Derbyshire afterall, but never are either sides in the shadow of the other. We play football on the deck with Paul Cook, long may it continue.

Best of luck

Our play isn't normally one dimensional, I just think we played long balls to bent because it seemed to work every time today.

And revenge ;) Nahhhhh you will probably lose next round say like Sheffield/Preston. Great result though. :)

Well, I wasn't going to mention May 1994 but another dodgy 2-1 would do me. :)

What would be good is for us to beat you in the FA Cup, and you to win the Championship playoffs, at least for the neutrals. But to be honest, I think you're going to get automatic promotion, especially if you tonk Blackburn next Tuesday, whereas we will both lose out in the fifth round to teams like Bradford (us) and Sheff U (you).

Still, it's fun while it lasts, isn't it. I have firkin' loved today.

Archived