Derby County v Chesterfield

Mafiabob

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was an entertaining game - credit to Chesterfield who really should have scored - they played some decent football.

Positives for me were Albentosa who looked quality and Hughes - his first touch is just a joy to watch, he's on a different planet compared to the others.

Negatives was the injury to Russell and how poor Dawkins was - what's happened to him ? He just didn't look interested !

Hughes is premier league class. I love the way he takes the ball away from people with a turn, makes it look easy when its not. I said to a Man City scout once that the best players always seem to have loads of time on the ball but he said its because that's how they make it look with their ability

One thing that did annoy me about yesterday is that before the teams come out they start to play 'Thunderstruck' and then just as it's about to get going they have to mix it in with some annoying crap. Happened against Forest too.

Why not put ear plugs so that way you don't have to listen to it. I switched my hearing aid off once I get in the stadium then switch it back on at full time #sorted. :)

My take on things yesterday.

Looked a bit shaky first half, but that should be expected when trying out a new formation. I am glad Mac decided to use this game to try it rather than a league game.

Second half we probably should have been out of sight. I struggle to remember the last time we had three 1 v 1 situations.

Bent looked very dangerous and once the defence/midfield get used to the timing of his runs, we have a very dangerous weapon in our armoury.

I thought Chesterfield were a very neat and tidy team who played good football and I imagine this is reflected in the possession stat. I thought their centre forward was a real handful and bossed Keogh. Expected to see a bit more from Doyle based on what has been written about him (does he always play out wide?)

Atmosphere I thought was poor. Going into the ground their fans seemed quite loud but as soon as the game kicked off both sets of fans were quiet (maybe the Derby is a bit too local and friendly?). There was a spell of about 10 minutes in the second half where it picked up but soon went quiet again. I actually thought Southport created a better atmosphere.

2 teams with big aspirations for the respective leagues and I think the best showing was from them and if they continue to play like that they will be knocking on the door of the promotion places.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NxNN3Qt_QQc

Hmmmmm. How did we keep the clean sheet? :)

Hughes is in his own league at the moment... :)

Didn't we hit the bar? Funny that didn't make it into the highlights. Chesterfield were good but they didn't really work our keeper, and seemed to leave gaps at the back when attacking. Still well done to the spirites the game was a bit end to end in the 2nd half.

According to anyone actually going to the game , the spireites had more of the game, but unfortunately could not muster the clinical edge required in the final third.

Personally, I thought the game was a good game of football, and had we (chesterfield)  had more quality action in the final 3rd the result may have been different. I had a number of conversations with Derby fans before, during and after - all in good spirits - and all seemed to agree. Speaking to Martin after the game, he thought our play was as good as most you've come across in the Championship this season - obviously easy to say after victory.

I don't think you'll get to the final, some of your play is a little one dimensional, which will catch you out against anyone of stature. That said I hope you do well, just as I posted last season re playoffs. Personally I hope you get promotion, we're all from Derbyshire afterall, but never are either sides in the shadow of the other. We play football on the deck with Paul Cook, long may it continue.

Best of luck

I know you're an expert on us (having watched one game and all) but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with your esteemed opinion. One-dimensional, we are not.

I thought Chesterfield were a very good passing side, play really nice football for a lower league side, just lacked that ruthless touch you sometimes see at this level.

If they go up, think they could survive the step up, they couldn't beat an underwhelming Derby side though,but neither could most sides in this league, a deserved win for us, all the best to Chezzy going forward.

On a side note, look forward to getting in the usual pubs next game, everywhere was rammed, had to go in the Merlin for a pre match pint for the 1st time.

Why not put ear plugs so that way you don't have to listen to it. I switched my hearing aid off once I get in the stadium then switch it back on at full time #sorted. :)

This is an interesting point DEL. Perhaps you could also encourage a few of our fans to go in the ground and take their blinkers off. I am sure this too might enhance their experience.

Albentosa was unlucky to be brought off then if it was tactical. He was miles better than Keogh in that first half.

And he was giving out some good orders.

Most their possession was first half I think when we had players all over the place. In the second half most their shots were ambitious and we created 1v1's.

They played well though. Nice tempo to their passing. Something we lack at times. Especially with Keogh and Christie. Take too long sometimes. Put each other in trouble

totally agree re keogh/christie. the number of times they just passed into to and fro and then christie couldnt seem to find a pass then just passes it back for keogh to fall over and boot the ball out or 5 yards in front of where christie had just passed it from. These two along with OMG do not make a good trio. OMG on his heels AGAIN! always needs 2 seconds to re-adjust his body when he receives the ball to get onto the front foot.

no 5 + 8 for chesterfield played well in midfield together. first half they dominated even though we had 5 there. should have really been 1 all but for lack of quality finishing. 2-0 was flattering, although with bents misses it could have been even better. give him the benefit of the doubt of being rusty. russel tried to pass into the net too. on another day. overall, alby played well. looked sold n composed.

i said half way through the second half that this lot wouldnt beat blackburn tommorow night, never mind getting automatic. hope im wrong, but they look better at the moment.

Archived