Stadium expansion

Jayweb95

It's all just a what if really, but remember years ago when we had the bid for the 2018 & 2022 and derby being a host city with a larger pride park... Read the reports of that and one of the plans was to expand the south stand by another 30 rows, imagine the atmosphere if that would have actually happened. Also read that when the ipro was built it was built with future expansion intended.. I don't know about you lot but i think the east stand matching the west stand and a towering south stand would look quite nice (in the premiership) of course.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Physically, yes the stadium has expansion potential. But they have said they think the stadium is fine for now. Expansion is only worth it if you're selling out every seat for every game, or at least nearly every game. We'd need to be established in the Premier League for a few seasons to do it.

Atmosphere? Another 30 rows of people grumbling that we aren't 3-0 up and booing Leon Best. Also, we don't fill the stadium as it is. I don't see any advantage to having more empty seats.

where abouts do you sit because I don't hear much of that?

Your ground's too big for you

Your ground's too big for you.

The roofline would be ruined by massively increasing one stand.

This would probably have been more for benefit of away fans.

To undertake a major project on the east stand would mean closing it.

Better to add a few rows around the back of the south, east and north.

Altho all the roof columns would probably be in the way and so its an expensive fix.

Not that we need it.

Our ground is not much different in capacity to white hart lane.

totally pointless, much the same as Man City expanding their stadium..

Not really, they do sell out regularly. It's abit of a myth that they don't. The extra income they would gain even from selling out a few 60,000 games would be worthwhile the expansion too.

Also take touts into consideration, as the same happens at all top clubs. Officially, City sell out most weeks.

We're a bit off hitting those heights mind.

We can expand to 42,000 I believe. We used to fill the ground in the premier league week in and week out didn't we? That was when we was losing every week.

I think we could at least get 38,000 if we had decent ticket prices and schemes. I was thniking along the lines of them expanding the north/south/east to all be the same level? Could be wrong thoe. Expanding in a time frame is not a bit problem with the techniques we use now.

I work for Laing O'Rourke who are doing the man city stadium and were using a lot of new and time efficent techniques so wouldn't be to worried.

totally pointless, much the same as Man City expanding their stadium..

We dont't fill it now and would never get 40,000 every week.

it is a souless plastic stadium as it is.....throw in a few more thousand empty seats and it would be even worse.

It's only souless if the people inside are souless. Plenty of times the atmosphere has been electric. I don't buy all this cr@p about modern stadia being souless. It's bricks and mortar, same as any other old or new stadium. The atmosphere inside any ground is only what supporters make it. 

Much as I hate to say it, Stoke's ground is "plastic" but the atmosphere there is very good because of the supporters. On the flip side, just go to Old Trafford, old ground, quiet support.

We can expand to 42,000 I believe. We used to fill the ground in the premier league week in and week out didn't we? That was when we was losing every week.

I think we could at least get 38,000 if we had decent ticket prices and schemes. I was thniking along the lines of them expanding the north/south/east to all be the same level? Could be wrong thoe. Expanding in a time frame is not a bit problem with the techniques we use now.

I work for Laing O'Rourke who are doing the man city stadium and were using a lot of new and time efficent techniques so wouldn't be to worried.

We can expand to 45,000 I think. I remember Peter Gadsby saying when we got promoted that if we stayed up for two seasons, there were plans to take it to its top expansion capacity of 45,000. Made a big deal out of the fact that would make it bigger than Stamford Bridge.

where abouts do you sit because I don't hear much of that?

I sit in the south stand. The atmosphere can be great. Brighton in the play offs was amazing, but if we're not playing well and if the opposition don't bring many fans it's really quiet. I'll agree that Best hasn't been roundly booed, yet. There are an awful lot of negative comments and shouts whenever Best or Whitbred get near the ball though.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-World-Cup-bid-plans-Pride-Park-Stadium-expansion-unveiled/story-11622444-detail/story.html

For the World Cup bid they had three options - two were to erect temporary stands towering above the existing stands, and the third was the "permanent" option which was designed into the original plans. Basically to take the roof off the North, East and South Stands and add 20 rows to each. Then build a new roof that would have been one level all the way around.

I genuinely can't see it ever happening, even if we did establish ourselves in the Prem - the risk of having a half empty stadium should the club fall back into hard times/lower leagues would be too much. I think they'd rather just whack the prices up and fill what we have

It's only souless if the people inside are souless. Plenty of times the atmosphere has been electric. I don't buy all this cr@p about modern stadia being souless. It's bricks and mortar, same as any other old or new stadium. The atmosphere inside any ground is only what supporters make it. 

Much as I hate to say it, Stoke's ground is "plastic" but the atmosphere there is very good because of the supporters. On the flip side, just go to Old Trafford, old ground, quiet support.

Football is souless now, it isnt so much jsut the plastic stadium we have, it is the whole sport.

The average age of a football supporter in the stadium is now so much higher because we are the only ones who can afford to go, the 16 year olds havent got a chance...which has killed the atmosphere everywhere.

on the expansion...I would much rather have 28,000 every week in a 30,000 capacity with a few games sold out a season, that 15,000 empty seats for 90% of the games.

Our stadium, at the minute, is a perfect size for us. We can fill it for the big occasions and we don't look daft when we're playing a unexciting game on a Tuesday night.

I have no doubts that if we win promotion and establish ourselves, we would need to look at expanding further. 

I'm not sure we will ever be able to fill a 40,000 seater regularly though, unless we become another Man City. We're probably as well supported as any Midlands based club, but I couldn't see any of them filling a stadium that size regularly.

Archived