Bucko has to play.....................

CBE

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think we've particularly missed him defensively - I'd say that Whitbread and Shotton and Buxton are all on a par as stoppers.

Where I think we've missed Jake is going forward. He is just a better passer, and a quicker thinker than the other two. As our style is to build from the back it is a big handicap to have such poor ball players as Shotton or Whitbread in the side. So for me, yes, Jake Buxton has to play.

I agree Cornwall. Bucko and Keogh bring the ball out at pace, drive the defence out and push the full backs forward. Everything seemed laboured yesterday,not blaming Whitbread for that, it's just the way it has been.

Whitbread was defensively solid yesterday, but on the ball he was horrendous. He had a shocker.

The amount of times he had a nice easy ball to play but instead went back to Butland was infuriating. The other times he just hoofed it long. He wasn't used to a team pressing that high and lost his head a little I feel. It's not the way we play and some of the blame must surely be passed to our other senior players for not taking the pressure off him, either reminding him to look wide for the pass or by demanding the ball from him when he had it..

For me Buxton has to start, his distribution is miles apart.

Have we considered the fact that all the clean sheets may be related to the fact that Bucko wasn't there to commit his usual one error per game?

I have, but then became mroe realistic.

The clean sheets have been more to luck at times, mistakes not being punished by poor finishing

Just like one man  doesnt make a defense, one player not playing isnt the reason for keeping clean sheets.

We missed a dimension to our game which stops teams keeping a high line against us. We kept two clean sheets with him starting in the league and lost one match, infact looking at the stats below theres not much difference in the form with him or without him. But the extra passing dimension he brings is worht havin in the team

Record with Bucko starting - Played 7 won 3 drawn 3 lost 1 conceded 6   12 points

Record without Bucko starting - Played 7 won 4 drawn 2 lost 1 conceded 4  14 points

Dav - the stats would suggest otherwise. The difference there is 12-13 points a year. That's huge.

But we could both be pedantic if we wanted to :)

It says 2 points over 6 games - or one game turned from a draw into win or win into a draw. We got lucky against Bolton two sitters missed by them, got lucky at Cardiff when the defense went to sleep and let them score twice.

More than just one man  - we are no better with him than without him defensivley.

Whether you trust my judgement or not, I don't know. But, my match ratings so far this season on our centre-backs...

Buxton - 8, 7, 5, 8, 6, 6 - 40 = 6.67

Keogh - 6, 7, 7, 6, 7, 7, 5, 8, 7, 8, 7, 8, 8, 8, 6, 6, 5 - 116 = 6.82

Shotton - 6, 7, 6, 6, 6 - 31 = 6.2

Whitbread - 7, 8, 8, 7, 7, 5, 4 - 46 = 6.57 

Keogh, Buxton, Whitbread and Shotton in that order so far this season. 

I do agree; I believe we limit ourselves without both Mascarell and Buxton playing. 

Goal --------------------------- At Fault.

Charlton's first --------------- Christie didn't stop the cross. Keogh let his man have space. 

Charlton's second ----------- Keogh being ran all over the shop and then ridiculously brought down his man in the box.

Charlton's third -------------- Forsyth let the cross happen, Buxton and Keogh didn't have their men marked properly. 

Fulham's ---------------------- Eustace makes the foul for the free-kick, Buxton and Keogh make their block but no-one is on the edge of the box to pick up the scorer - Eustace at fault? hard to say. 

Forest's ----------------------- The replay shows Keogh runs out, leaves a huge gap and Shotton doesn't close down well enough.

Blackburn's first ------------- Ward lost the ball. No one else at fault, really. 

Blackburn's second -------- Definitely Keogh, it's so bad.

Wigan's first ------------------ Half-hearted Whitbread effort. 

Wigan's second -------------- Butland must take the large part of the blame, Whitbread should have done better.

So, after all that. 

Keogh at fault in five instances.

Buxton in one.

Whitbread in two

Shotton in one

Christie in one

Forsyth in one

Ward in one

Eustace? in one

Butland in one 

Obviously it's a collective effort, but that's based on people who could and should have stopped it. 

Goal --------------------------- At Fault.

Charlton's first --------------- Christie didn't stop the cross. Keogh let his man have space.

Charlton's second ----------- Keogh being ran all over the shop and then ridiculously brought down his man in the box.

Charlton's third -------------- Forsyth let the cross happen, Buxton and Keogh didn't have their men marked properly.

Fulham's ---------------------- Eustace makes the foul for the free-kick, Buxton and Keogh make their block but no-one is on the edge of the box to pick up the scorer - Eustace at fault? hard to say.

Forest's ----------------------- The replay shows Keogh runs out, leaves a huge gap and Shotton doesn't close down well enough.

Blackburn's first ------------- Ward lost the ball. No one else at fault, really.

Blackburn's second -------- Definitely Keogh, it's so bad.

Wigan's first ------------------ Half-hearted Whitbread effort.

Wigan's second -------------- Butland must take the large part of the blame, Whitbread should have done better.

So, after all that.

Keogh at fault in five instances.

Buxton in one.

Whitbread in two

Shotton in one

Christie in one

Forsyth in one

Ward in one

Eustace? in one

Butland in one

Obviously it's a collective effort, but that's based on people who could and should have stopped it.

Are you a statistician by trade mate? :)

Seriously though I appreciate how much effort you put into stuff like this.Thanks for the breakdown.

I can't believe I am saying this but I am more assure with Whitbread and Shotton then Buxton. I think yesterday they played really clever in bringing Whitbread to the left side a lot and pulling him out of position. I was saying it every time we defended.

That produced a lot of space in the middle which Keogh had to try defend. I was thinking Wigan could beat us they always seem to do a physical job!

Archived