Bucko has to play.....................

CBE

Goal --------------------------- At Fault.

Charlton's first --------------- Christie didn't stop the cross. Keogh let his man have space. 

Charlton's second ----------- Keogh being ran all over the shop and then ridiculously brought down his man in the box.

Charlton's third -------------- Forsyth let the cross happen, Buxton and Keogh didn't have their men marked properly. 

Fulham's ---------------------- Eustace makes the foul for the free-kick, Buxton and Keogh make their block but no-one is on the edge of the box to pick up the scorer - Eustace at fault? hard to say. 

Forest's ----------------------- The replay shows Keogh runs out, leaves a huge gap and Shotton doesn't close down well enough.

Blackburn's first ------------- Ward lost the ball. No one else at fault, really. 

Blackburn's second -------- Definitely Keogh, it's so bad.

Wigan's first ------------------ Half-hearted Whitbread effort. 

Wigan's second -------------- Butland must take the large part of the blame, Whitbread should have done better.

So, after all that. 

Keogh at fault in five instances.

Buxton in one.

Whitbread in two

Shotton in one

Christie in one

Forsyth in one

Ward in one

Eustace? in one

Butland in one 

Obviously it's a collective effort, but that's based on people who could and should have stopped it. 

Brilliant post.

People saying ''Buxton's one usual error per game'' are forgetting that Keogh makes 2 or 3 per game and more errors equate to more goals conceded, shown by the stats.     

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brilliant post.

People saying ''Buxton's one usual error per game'' are forgetting that Keogh makes 2 or 3 per game and more errors equate to more goals conceded, shown by the stats.     

You have to remember that since the playoffs, Keogh has been the centre half that opposition strikers target, so he is under more pressure than any of the other CBs and more defensive responsibilities equal more errors. Plus the fact that Keogh is expected to be the ball player and the risk taker at the back.

However this isn't the Keogh thread, this is about Buxton and I wholeheartedly agree that Keogh and Buxton should be our CB pairing whenever possible. I'm guessing Buxton will play on Tuesday and you can judge for yourselves then.

You have to remember that since the playoffs, Keogh has been the centre half that opposition strikers target, so he is under more pressure than any of the other CBs and more defensive responsibilities equal more errors. Plus the fact that Keogh is expected to be the ball player and the risk taker at the back.

However this isn't the Keogh thread, this is about Buxton and I wholeheartedly agree that Keogh and Buxton should be our CB pairing whenever possible. I'm guessing Buxton will play on Tuesday and you can judge for yourselves then.

Why would opposition strikers target a single centre-back? The only possible reason they would do that would be if they were trying to target the weak link in the defence... in which case your point is an attack on Keogh...

I would also argue Buxton is a better ball-player as he has a far better range of passing than Keogh. Buxton can spray balls about from behind the half-way line whereas Keogh often decides it necessary to maraud as far as possible upfield.

I agree though, Keogh-Buxton is our best CB pairing.

This does happen if you see a weak link you try and utilise it as much as possible. Let's be honest before Keogh signed the new contract I thought he was poor before then. He was getting singled out a lot.

I remember playing 5 a side football.. I was playing awful in goals and it was like 6-0 and every one of there players were shouting 'Shoot when ever you get a chance'..!

It ended 13-3 that's when I quit 5 a side.. Moral of the story exploit the weakest link/one lowest on confidence!

I thought that Wigan't first was largely a collective team smeg-up, starting with Butland's hurried throw out to Bryson (I think) who went into Theo/Sammon bag-of-cement controlling mode, and it all went downhill from there.

Disagree. We don't equal a clean sheet record without him by chance. He puts his everything into every game but it doesn't make up for lack of ability.

Whitbread/Shotton have done a good job in defence hence the clean sheet record. Buxton is equal defensively but offers more going forward. He also seems more of a leader on the pitch than Whitbread.

It's a change of preference rather than a change of necessity 

Whitbread/Shotton have done a good job in defence hence the clean sheet record. Buxton is equal defensively but offers more going forward. He also seems more of a leader on the pitch than Whitbread.

It's a change of preference rather than a change of necessity

I'm not going to agree. I used to think he was *****, then he stopped being so *****. But he still isn't good enough. I never feel comfortable with him there.

I'm not going to agree. I used to think he was *****, then he stopped being so *****. But he still isn't good enough. I never feel comfortable with him there.

I think Bucko would have made a far more determined effort to throw his body in the way of their winning shot,as opposed to the hesitancy and lack of desire I saw on offer in this incident

Having watched it again,I may have been a tad harsh on Whitbread.Don't know why he took off with both feet in the air however..

Swings and roundabouts. We missed chances too.

Dav was referring to the defence not the result, and I have to agree.

Reading should have had two or three. They missed two open nets. 

The defence has been far from resolute despite the clean sheets, especially in this last month. I think Millwall have been the only team we've been able to shut down. Reading, Blackpool and Wigan have all had chances, and should have scored. 

Disagree. We don't equal a clean sheet record without him by chance. He puts his everything into every game but it doesn't make up for lack of ability.

Really what we should be looking at, is not goals scored by the opposition during that period but chances created by them.  Poor finishing by opponents or good goalkeeping has little to do with the centre backs playing.  Not saying that would change anything...but it would just be a more accurate metric to use.

Arguably got us 3 points with a few saves at Blackpool, and saved a penalty Saturday, but hey, send him back!

Totally agree SRG his kicking reminds me of Bywater but he hasn't played many games in general this season. He saved us against Blackpool so we must thank him for that!

Archived