Bucko has to play.....................

CBE

Keogh and Shotts is would be my 1st choice given Shotts handling of Wilson. Whitbread just makes too many mistakes, loses concentration. Not sure about Bucko, we've had so many clean sheets without him...

Clean sheets mainly due to goalkeeping and poor finishing, not the performance of the defense without Bucko

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keogh with either Shotton or Whitbread for me.... Think Bucko is still behind these two.... After ONE defeat and six clean sheets, one of the meanest defences in the league and top of the league. All done without Bucko.

Think hearts are ruling over heads on this thread.

Yes Bucko has come on leaps and bounds over the last 18 months.... But I don't dare criticise on here as my head will get ripped off and the thread will descend into a circus.... It's comparable to mentioning the Clough word with trying to discussing thing about Bucko.

We've done marvellous without him... Have we rode our luck? Of course we have. I do believe we've done the same with Bucko in the side too.

Keogh has been a marvellous leader this season. Especially sorting his off the field stuff out with the club. We hadn't lost a game since god knows when when Whitbread has started until Saturday.

Ditto not lost with Shotton either.

Fact remains for me I'm more confident with either Shotton or Whitbread partnering Keogh than Bucko....

Feel free to shoot me down in flames.... We are where we are.... And to coin King BIllehs phrase... It is what it is.

Four centre halves that could all get into the first team....

We could always bring in Darren Powell again anyone....

Bang your blooming heads together people!

I'm not going to agree. I used to think he was *****, then he stopped being so *****. But he still isn't good enough. I never feel comfortable with him there.

I feel more uncomfortable when Keogh is on the ball to be honest. He just looks shaky on the ball, like he doesn't know what he's going to do until he does it.

Buxton now has improved so much on the ball that I trust him more.

Not slating Keogh as he has played well so far this season. I rate Buxton just as highly and I think they make the best pairing.

Keogh with either Shotton or Whitbread for me.... Think Bucko is still behind these two.... After ONE defeat and six clean sheets, one of the meanest defences in the league and top of the league. All done without Bucko.

Think hearts are ruling over heads on this thread.

Yes Bucko has come on leaps and bounds over the last 18 months.... But I don't dare criticise on here as my head will get ripped off and the thread will descend into a circus.... It's comparable to mentioning the Clough word with trying to discussing thing about Bucko.

We've done marvellous without him... Have we rode our luck? Of course we have. I do believe we've done the same with Bucko in the side too.

Keogh has been a marvellous leader this season. Especially sorting his off the field stuff out with the club. We hadn't lost a game since god knows when when Whitbread has started until Saturday.

Ditto not lost with Shotton either.

Fact remains for me I'm more confident with either Shotton or Whitbread partnering Keogh than Bucko....

Feel free to shoot me down in flames.... We are where we are.... And to coin King BIllehs phrase... It is what it is.

Four centre halves that could all get into the first team....

We could always bring in Darren Powell again anyone....

Bang your blooming heads together people!

We only lost one with Bucko in the side too.

We only lost one with Bucko in the side too.

I know that, but I feel more comfortable with either Shotton or Whitbread in the side at the minute.

Think he's got a big chance to claim his place back tomorrow mind. It's a nice situation to have....

I know that, but I feel more comfortable with either Shotton or Whitbread in the side at the minute.

Think he's got a big chance to claim his place back tomorrow mind. It's a nice situation to have....

It is nice that we can argue about selection without the phrase "but he's less *****" being used

It is nice that we can argue about selection without the phrase "but he's less *****" being used

Agreed.... Plenty of options nowadays. No square pegs in round holes!

This does happen if you see a weak link you try and utilise it as much as possible. Let's be honest before Keogh signed the new contract I thought he was poor before then. He was getting singled out a lot.

I remember playing 5 a side football.. I was playing awful in goals and it was like 6-0 and every one of there players were shouting 'Shoot when ever you get a chance'..!

It ended 13-3 that's when I quit 5 a side.. Moral of the story exploit the weakest link/one lowest on confidence!

Moral of the story is keep your fooking legs closed

Think I might be posting to myself, but I am 90% confident that if all 4 were fit, and it was a "best team" game, then it would be a Keogh / Shotton centre back partnership.

Think you would be right.... I agree with that.

Nice position to be in....

Bucko is neither our saviour nor the villain, sorry. All of a sudden we can't pass ... and that begins at the back. I think Keogh and Shotton make for a fine pair of playmaking centre halves, and you add Christie and Forsyth, and that is a creative group if ever there was one. Fine with Bucko in there too instead of Shots, but just keep Whitbread out please. He's a backup that we picked up after Leicester let him go for nothing. He's done okay but he's not part of our Dutch total foetball style.

I love Bucko's toughness and his command of the air, but you can't replace Keogh's marauding runs (when he does them) or Shot's finesse. I think we lost on Saturday mainly because the midfield hiccuped, not because of the defence and you can't rely on Martin to ever create anything by himself - something that's clearly not gone unnoticed by the manager in spite of his goals. 

Fulham match will tell us a lot.

Those saying 'no Buxton = clean sheet record, hence Buxton was the problem' are committing a logical fallacy. Without a comparison it's impossible to say what the root cause was for our clean sheets. 

We could be setting up at the back differently, it could be a case of tactical training finally coming good.. The list literally goes on. 

As many have pointed out, great goalkeeping and horrendous finishing have been major contributors to the run of clean sheets. We've not been perfect in defence in those games and could easily have conceded. Simply pointing out that with Buxton out the team we managed a run of clean sheets is proving nothing, you need to back up your points if you want to change people's minds. Explain exactly what Buxton was doing wrong that Shotton and Whitbread got right...

You'll soon see, that chance had the biggest contribution to those clean sheets, not Buxton's withdrawal. 

On the one hand, it's nice to see we've got depth at the centre half position.

On the other, I believe it's vital that McClaren makes a decision on who his first choice centre-back pairing is. Teams who constantly change their two centre-backs seldom do well defensively - eg. Man U, Liverpool last season.

Archived