The demise of Notts Forest

Posh Ram

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too lived in Nottingham - my father's first pub when he left the Army was in St Annes Well Road back in the 1960's.

It was the most utterly run-down, deprived and criminal-infested cesspit of a foul, god-forsaken hole you could ever imagine, and inhabited by and large by the thickest bunch you could imagine too. If you chained your bike up they would nick the chain and leave the bike.

It was the most utterly run-down, deprived and criminal-infested cesspit of a foul, god-forsaken hole you could ever imagine, and inhabited by and large by the thickest bunch you could imagine too. If you chained your bike up they would nick the chain and leave the bike.

But they only ever killed their own..

We're better than our form, but without Hobbs, Reid and Cohen we aren't top two material, perhaps not even top six. Reality check everyone.

This post is an absolute classic.  In a world of Forest fans with delusion of grandeur, a poster, going against the grain who thinks of themself as a rational realist, suggests that with 3 players missing they are no longer top 2 material. Hell, they might not be even top 6 quality (but he probably thinks they are).

The majority of Forest fans will be 30+ ie of the age when they remember the good days. Not just the 2 European Cups (pre-champions league when all sorts of little teams won it) but into the 90s when they were a top flight regular under Brian.  Just playing for the famous Notts Forest means you must be a good player and it's only a matter of time until they reclaim their place at the top table. This attitude is then handed down to the younger, impressionable fans, until they get old enough to realise it's rubbish.

I grew up in the West Mids in the 80s and Wolves fans were very similar to this. Very soon, they would be back on the top with their huge fan base.  After their mis-adventures back in the big time, those attitudes seem to have changed and I was pleasantly surprised to hear of Wolves fans loving last season where they rebuilt from scratch and started to enjoy football again.

Derby fans have a had a long time since the glory days and the majority of our fans will be to young to remember the early 70s.  We have had our 2 good periods since that point though and we understand that fortunes go up and down in football and we have no divine right to be the best.  Reading some Forest comments you would think the were on the edge of greatness and have had in all taken away by some poor management.

I think the media also helps feed Forest fans mis-conceptions.  From what I rememeber, Forest were a pretty popular team under Clough. He was obviously much loved and his teams usually played in an attractive style. The people who work in the media remember this and seem to suffer from the same delusion as the fans.  The dream of Forest boy Pearce leading them back to the promised land is a beautiful story for them. 

The other day I heard about the 'shock' win for Brentford at Forest on the radio.  This is in a league where bottom beats top all the time, let alone something like 10th beating 9th when 9th haven't won in 10 games.  When we played them on TV earlier this season, the commentator warned Derby that "they can't let a player of x's quality shoot from there" (about 30 yards out).  I can't remember who player X was, but we are talking about an average Forest side here, not Bayern or Barca. I was more than happy with us letting them shoot from that far out.  Obviously these are just 2 examples, but the media tone regarding Forest is always like they have just the European Cup. (They won it twice you know).

It nice that we seem to be a stable, well-run club heading in the right direction and seemingly going about things the right way.  Forest seem to be a basket case still and only continually changing them manager can get them success.

I too lived in Nottingham - my father's first pub when he left the Army was in St Annes Well Road back in the 1960's.

Its not changed much.

We're better than our form, but without Hobbs, Reid and Cohen we aren't top two material, perhaps not even top six. Reality check everyone.[/size] 

This post is an absolute classic.  In a world of Forest fans with delusion of grandeur, a poster, going against the grain who thinks of themself as a rational realist, suggests that with 3 players missing they are no longer top 2 material. Hell, they might not be even top 6 quality (but he probably thinks they are).

The majority of Forest fans will be 30+ ie of the age when they remember the good days. Not just the 2 European Cups (pre-champions league when all sorts of little teams won it) but into the 90s when they were a top flight regular under Brian.  Just playing for the famous Notts Forest means you must be a good player and it's only a matter of time until they reclaim their place at the top table. This attitude is then handed down to the younger, impressionable fans, until they get old enough to realise it's rubbish.

I grew up in the West Mids in the 80s and Wolves fans were very similar to this. Very soon, they would be back on the top with their huge fan base.  After their mis-adventures back in the big time, those attitudes seem to have changed and I was pleasantly surprised to hear of Wolves fans loving last season where they rebuilt from scratch and started to enjoy football again.

Derby fans have a had a long time since the glory days and the majority of our fans will be to young to remember the early 70s.  We have had our 2 good periods since that point though and we understand that fortunes go up and down in football and we have no divine right to be the best.  Reading some Forest comments you would think the were on the edge of greatness and have had in all taken away by some poor management.

I think the media also helps feed Forest fans mis-conceptions.  From what I rememeber, Forest were a pretty popular team under Clough. He was obviously much loved and his teams usually played in an attractive style. The people who work in the media remember this and seem to suffer from the same delusion as the fans.  The dream of Forest boy Pearce leading them back to the promised land is a beautiful story for them. 

The other day I heard about the 'shock' win for Brentford at Forest on the radio.  This is in a league where bottom beats top all the time, let alone something like 10th beating 9th when 9th haven't won in 10 games.  When we played them on TV earlier this season, the commentator warned Derby that "they can't let a player of x's quality shoot from there" (about 30 yards out).  I can't remember who player X was, but we are talking about an average Forest side here, not Bayern or Barca. I was more than happy with us letting them shoot from that far out.  Obviously these are just 2 examples, but the media tone regarding Forest is always like they have just the European Cup. (They won it twice you know).

It nice that we seem to be a stable, well-run club heading in the right direction and seemingly going about things the right way.  Forest seem to be a basket case still and only continually changing them manager can get them success.

Great post.

I've said something similar before, their proudest moments in their history are without doubt the very same things that hold them back and add to their continued disappointment to this day - delusions of grandeur, a self righteous arrogance, the notts forest way yadda yadda yadda. Its all ********.

Having watched The Rams since the mid-60s and before Brian Clough arrived - and acknowledging that we were a 'small' club rocketed (almost!) to the heights of European achievement - I do tend to 'clash' with 'ariotofmyowns' dismissal of The European Cup as:  "(pre-champions league when all sorts of little teams won it)"

It's tougher now, mainly because corporations have taken over all high-profile clubs - and huge money is spent and earned in participating. It's a bigger competition but not as exciting at every stage because the initial opposition can be weaker and the 'sudden-death' knockout blows are postponed.

There are probably many more relatively 'small teams' now in those seemingly unending group stages because of this expansion and gentrification. It's as well to remember that *every* team you had to play in those days (prior to it becoming a corporate 'super-league') were the Champions of their domestic League.

There was still a comparatively more level playing field on and off the pitch - even if we did play 'giants' like Benfica and Juventus - and there wasn't the sheer financial disparity between competitors on the scale then that there is today.

It's harder to win now with the scale of squad investment and superstar fees and wages as the biggest companies strive add a footy plaything to their corporate image and 'train-set', alongside the media explosion and broadcasting rights bonanzas. 

I'm sure there's still room (and romance!) in the Europa League for 'small' teams like us (as Middlesbrough and Fulham proved) even if - unless our billionaire investor regime really do want to 'go for it' if and when we get promoted - the Champions League is now the enclave of the biggest corporations.

COYR

Having watched The Rams since the mid-60s and before Brian Clough arrived - and acknowledging that we were a 'small' club rocketed (almost!) to the heights of European achievement - I do tend to 'clash' with 'ariotofmyowns' dismissal of The European Cup as:  "(pre-champions league when all sorts of little teams won it)"

I agree with you mate. Apologies, my dismissal was only meant to slight Forest's achievments.

I see that there is a silly thread on LTLF about Forest being for sale.

How much fun to win the Euro millions and buy the club. By Christmas I could have installed Paul Jewell as manger and tripled the match day prices. By the start of next season I could have sold the City Ground for housing, relocated the club into Rushden and Diamonds old stadium and changed the shirt colour to white...and just think of the fun I could have with the name.

How much fun to win the Euro millions and buy the club. By Christmas I could have installed Paul Jewell as manger and tripled the match day prices. By the start of next season I could have sold the City Ground for housing, relocated the club into Rushden and Diamonds old stadium and changed the shirt colour to white...and just think of the fun I could have with the name.

I know you could change it something absurd like the "Kuwait City ground stadium"  :lol:

Whatever happened to the half a billion pound investment anyway? Or don't tell me that's included in Assbongo's "add ons" too 

Quite a funny "Relegation" thread on there now too. Oh gawd I hope they lose to Norwich (or draw to be honest). This is funny as sausages and it could run and run. He can't sack Physco while the fans are chanting his name, even if does there's an umbongo coming up in January so the new guy will be right up against it from the off. What's Alec McLeish doing nowadays?

Nah, I would take over then sell their squad to us for tiny amounts of money, then loan all of Derby's players to Forest.  Even though Pearce is a cack manager, our players would get Forest promoted, and even though most of their players are average, Super Steve would get Derby promoted.

Then next season with us both in the Prem, I'd buy Assolomonga off Derby for 3 years worth of TV money, then walk away.  We'd get 2 east mid derbies vs Forest and have double the amount of prem TV money for new signings.

Squad wise I think Forest have arguably the best squad in the division. Certainly in the top 3-4 squads with a much greater depth than we have at Derby.

They're and have been hopelessly mismanaged both by their owners and on the playing side.

A half decent manager would have that side in the top 6 and with the players they have at their disposal, it's a poor showing they're mid table and seemingly going nowhere.

The bright talents they have seem to go backwards when they sign for the club.

Having lived in both, Derby and Nottingham are utterly average cities. There's plenty of places worse, like Stoke and Hull, but there are plenty much better, like Oxford or Bristol.

They're really similar and I find people saying the other is awful pretty funny.

Living in Bristol at the moment, really nice city apart from the traffic

You'd have to be quick. The bulldozers are coming in soon :(

Archived