If we got promoted to the premier league...

Eley1508

Was Thorne not just sold by a low-end Premier League club as he wasn't good enough to get in their side?

I think I'll give you a fair answer, despite it being clear fishing

Thorne's played in the Premier League, looked like he was going to make it into the WBA team but he did his ACL. He's also still extremely young, plays in a system that suits him down to the ground and is playing for one of the best coaches in England; you can hardly rule him out.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the expectation is premier league football and knowing that this summer we have extended contracts for the core of our team then the assumption must be that we will keep them together and they are deemed good enough to compete.

I would say that at the very least we will need a centre-back, a defensive midfielder as back up for Thorne, a winger and a striker in the Martin mould to provide back-up/competition.

But ideally, think we would need to sign a few more. Would like to see us line up a bit like this:

Grant

Christie                                      New CB                                                       New CB                                    Forsyth

Thorne

Hughes                                                         Bryson

New winger                                                                    Martin                                                                  New winger

Subs

Roos

Shotton (signed on permanent)

Keogh/Buxton

New DM

Hendrick

Ward

New ST

With one of either Russell or Dawkins loaned out/sold. Also could do with a back-up left back.

on the premise that we would poach a few players from those going down - who want to stay in the upper tier..So relegated

Burnley, and who!!! Newcastle and QPR!!!

So we would take no - one from Burnley!! - could have Shackell back!!

Krul, Collichini from Newcastle

And take your pick from QPR over-inflated team!!! Caulker not been got at yet

LOL at the Forest WUM mentioning Thorne being signed from WBA.

Michael Mancienne - Couldn't get a game at Hamberg

Danny Collins - couldn't get a game at Stoke

Danny Fox - couldn't get a game at Norwich

Jack Hunt - couldn't get a game at Palace

Eric Lichaj - couldn't get a game at Villa

Dan Harding - couldn't get a game at Southampton

Matty Fryatt - couldn't get a game at Hull

David Vaughan - couldn't get a game at Sunderland

I would keep the majority of the squad, hate to see it ripped up and not given a chance. Whilst I think Eustace is doing alright for us now he wouldn't cope in the Prem, probably the only player I would expect to leave and the loans.

CB

DM

Winger

Striker

Daft thread - talk about getting ahead of ourselves. As others have said, the first team is contracted for a long time and, as Sam Rush said, we're all in it for the long haul. Had we gone up last season we'd probably have needed more changes. If (and it's a tough league) we went up this season, I suspect the benefit of the squad playing together for two full years, winning most games, will mean they'll all (rightly) be given a chance. Perhaps with Eustace taking a coaching role and the additions Daveo mentions.

Wow, i'm impressed by your knowledge.

I had no idea, nor do i give a fck tbf, where any of those came from or whether they were playing for their clubs.

Any team getting promotion to the premier League, more or less has to accept that getting any points out of the top six teams will be very difficult. This means that there are 26 games left to get 40 points. this means getting 1.66 points from each of 26 matches remaining.. Ten wins and ten draws gives 40 points but only allows for six  losses against the other 13 teams. Tall order indeed. This is why a secure defence is the key to staying up.. A clean sheet is at least a point. if we do get promoted then we already have a full team signed up for three years at least. I would let Whitbread, Naylor and Best go and sign six new players..If  we could get three of them in  January and sign them in the summer then they would already be  bedded in. I would sign a fullback, a striker and two centre halves. Next job would be loans to replace players who are clearly not up to it. If we fail to stay up, then at least pay off the stadium and get the best scouts in the world who will come to Derby.

We got promoted to the premier league, out of the squad we have now, who would you keep??

Everybody.

If they are good enough as a team to win promotion, they deserve the chance to represent the club a higher level.

It's more often about the system you play and not the players that are playing in that system. 

Look at Leicester for example. They have barely changed their playing squad and they are holding their own. 

Ability wise, I cannot think of a single Derby player that could do a job for a Premiership side. Collectively, they might just hold their own.

I think we're more than good enough to hold our own at full strength. I think it would be more about improving up some key positions. I think if we improve the spine a touch [GK, CB, CDM, ST] then we'd see no end of improvement - it just takes a lot of preparation. 

A really dangerous wide forward would be on top of my list. A real threat that can damage teams. LB, CBx2 and ST after that. 

I think we're more than good enough to hold our own at full strength. I think it would be more about improving up some key positions. I think if we improve the spine a touch [GK, CB, CDM, ST] then we'd see no end of improvement - it just takes a lot of preparation.

A really dangerous wide forward would be on top of my list. A real threat that can damage teams. LB, CBx2 and ST after that.

If we get promoted,do you think we could get Ibe on loan again? Or just go in another direction in that regards?

In an ideal world: New = better

Grant

Christie 

Keogh

New

New

Thorne

Hughes

New

New

Martin

New

But I'm pretty sure that the likes of Hendrick/Bryson/Ward wouldn't look dreadfully out of place in the PL and could do jobs as squad players.

Dawkins as a winger I don't think could cut it as he lacks a goal threat but perhaps as a number 10 or a CM he'd be an OK squad player.

Only players I think would really struggle is Buxton and Whitbread (too slow), Forsyth (lack of technique), Russell (lack of technique) and Eustace (too old, slow).

In an ideal world: New = better

Grant

Christie 

Keogh

New

New

Thorne

Hughes

New

New

Martin

New

Snap....almost.

I think if we might need a no9 with pace.

Though a pointless exercise, I think a lot of you are being pretty harsh. I would largely put out the same squad, with undertudies for players such as Forsyth, Martin and I would bolster the midfield. I am of an opinion that the players that get you promoted deserve a chance to keep you up there. Also, if the a promoted club yo-yos for a few years before establishing itself, that isn't a bad thing. Given the parachute payments these days it takes a poorly run club not to be promoted back up, and it just so happens that many clubs are badly run. If you don't inflate your wage budget massively, then with 4 years of parachute payments the club will be close to promotion every year due to the competitve advantage given by such a financial filip.

On fantasy players, I would have got in Jordon Mutch, as he feels like one that got away.

I'd not change much. Maybe a new centrehalf, some competition for rightback and leftback (potentially as first choice), another winger (to take Ibe's spot after he leaves) and another striker, either to be competition for, or replace, Martin.

The key is to keep the core and play style of the team together, not to panic chop and change for the sake of it and come down a worse side than we went up.

Some of them can't get a game for us either so strange examples.

I genuinely didn't realise Thorne was onto his 2nd major cruciate injury. You have to wonder long term if he can maintain his fitness. Both Cohen and Blackstock for us have had reoccurrences.

I watched the West Ham v QPR game the other day. Wasn't impressed with either side and the whole affair bored me. If that's the benchmark for mid to bottom PL then we'll be largely fine with what we have.

Removes rose-tinted glasses.

Archived