Reading v Derby County

PrivateDerby

I haven't seen any footage, but I find it incredible that we can, apparently, be utter rubbish yet win 3-0 away at one of our main bogey sides.

Better get rid of the manager asap.

We were utter rubbish ed, but we are a class above everyone else so it dunna really matter.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just back in from the game. I thought we were fine generally. Good contained performance I would say - looked like we were playing within ourselves 2nd half. Ibe can frustrate as he just doesn't seem to have quite developed the speed of thought to turn the ball quickly enough into space for our on-coming mid-fielders. That said, there were times when it looked as though Forsyth and Bryson would just slip him the ball when he had 2 on him and then stop themselves.

All that said, we are still not quite solid enough to really inspire confidence when we're trying to close games out. Thought Shotton looked good when he came on. And the way Christie doesn't panic, beats players making them look mugs when he's playing out of defence and is generally excellent really bodes well.

Cracking win against a difficult side. Not many teams are going to do that to them at their place. And we shut their pathetic crowd up and all.

Madness, I think Russell only touched the ball about five times in all the time he was on the pitch.

I'm not disagreeing with your overall rating of Ibe, but I have no idea what you think Russell did to warrant anything over a five, especially not to get a higher rating than someone who scored.

Direct, pacey, fantastic assist for our 3rd and was far better than tracking back than Ibe was. He left forsyth far too exposed and Gunter got in behind often. Ibe scored a cracking goal but gave the ball away at every other chance he had and sometimes held onto the ball for too long

Grant - 7

Christie 7

Whitbread 8

Keogh 7

Forsyth 5

Eustace 6

Hughes 7

Bryson 7

Ibe 6

Martin 8 (MOTM)

Ward NA

Russell 7

Hendrick 6

Shotton 7

Whitbread 8? You're having a laugh! He had a nightmare first half and might well have been substituted had Keogh not got injured. Murray beat him in the air every time, his distribution was poor and he got booked. And Eustaceheld firm when the defence wasn't playing well. Worth a 6 at least (prob 6.5). Martin held the line really well and Hughes looked classy. A lot of the scores I would put one point less because this could have been 5-5  but a win is important and we always looked like scoring against their shaky defence.We will play better and lose this season but I enjoyed my day out (apart from leaving the car park).

Jolly good that. Not sure why most of you lot seem unhappy with a 0-3 win at a ground we usually get mauled at. We weren't at our best, but a good few players showed their class to earn us a great win; honourable mentions for Grant, Whitbread (defending, not passing), Hughes and Martin. Shotton also did well, and Hendrick at some stage soon might make Bryso wish he had gone to Burnley because I think that lad has to play alongside Hughesy. And Angry, like you, I am not Eustace's biggest fan but he did a job again today. With our squad we should be ok on Tuesday, but with no disrespect to Roos, if only one of the injured 4 plays, I do hope it's Grant. Off out now to paint the City pink.

Just back - what a great day out - the fact that they had plenty of chances, but couldn't score, just makes it better. Good atmosphere, particularly liked chanting back at them "worst team in history" once we went 2-0 up. Their biggest crowd of the season by the way

Thought Ibe's legs had completely gone after 60 minutes and he was ready to come off - but Steve Mc stuck with the system, brought Hendrick on for Bryson and Jeff helped in the 3rd goal. Can't see Ibe playing a full game on Tuesday either - so we might see quite a few changes - is Dawkins or even Coutts fit ? Also interesting to see if Eustace plays all 3 games this week.

Whitbread just doesn't look comfortable trying to pass the ball out of defence - but 5 clean sheets tells its own story - fantastic achievement by the team.

the other posters here aren't wrong - we're not the finished article yet - but we're in a great position - got a really good squad to see us through the chaotic championship fixture list and we still have a certain George Thorne to return in the 2nd half of the season.

Good night...

Jolly good that. Not sure why most of you lot seem unhappy with a 0-3 win at a ground we usually get mauled at. We weren't at our best, but a good few players showed their class to earn us a great win; honourable mentions for Grant, Whitbread (defending, not passing), Hughes and Martin. Shotton also did well, and Hendrick at some stage soon might make Bryso wish he had gone to Burnley because I think that lad has to play alongside Hughesy. And Angry, like you, I am not Eustace's biggest fan but he did a job again today. With our squad we should be ok on Tuesday, but with no disrespect to Roos, if only one of the injured 4 plays, I do hope it's Grant. Off out now to paint the City pink.

I trust you are not planning on doing anything illegal tonight?

A bit confused with some of the criticism: I watched the 2nd half and thought we did OK. Not electric by any means, but it was a good away performance. And I think that needs to be born in mind - we were away at a ground that we've traditionally got very little from in the past, and put in a professional performance. I'd be much more concerned if we played like that at home, but away I'll take that.

Also, Ibe has pace and tricks but they seem to mask the fact that he's got no football brain. He won't go as far as some are making out. Another Zaha/Aaron Lennon type player. Not fussed.

I've seen worse.

Derby 1-4 Ssausagehorpe anyone

How you can claim we weren't 'good' is harsh. Fair enough we weren't fabulous and 3-0 flattered us, but we you don't win 3-0 away from home unless it's a 7/10 performance in general.

I remember when we beat Watford away 0-1 in the 2011/12 season I think. We were poor winners then, not now.

Oh no doubt, I've seen a lot worse. But I don't think I've seen many worse performances under the current regime.

Normally, you don't win 3-0 away without a 7/10 performance. In this case, you don't without Reading missing a number of excellent chances. 

Don't get me wrong, watching the game, you could see who the class side was. And the reason we won was because of our extra class, but I thought we were very sloppy and defensively naive at times.

There's a lot of comments criticising the criticism in this thread (I'll presume they're referring to me). I'm not unhappy with how today went, nor unhappy with anything at the club. I merely think that we were lucky to get away with it today. I suppose it shows how good we are that I'm thinking we were very poor and we end of winning 3-0.

There are games that we haven't play very well this season, that I still think we've deserved to win. No doubt, these scenarios will even out at the end of the season. 

Don't be silly , Bryson played today not well and that's the type of guy he is , as for Jeff he's very unlucky but the bench it is and if he replaces anyone it won't be Bryson , he will need to wait till eustace is suspended by the looks of it

Don't be silly , Bryson played today not well and that's the type of guy he is , as for Jeff he's very unlucky but the bench it is and if he replaces anyone it won't be Bryson , he will need to wait till eustace is suspended by the looks of it

And end up with Bryson, Hughes and Hendrick as a 3? No ta.

Archived