Reading v Derby County

PrivateDerby

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huzzah!

Unbeaten in ten, refreshed after the international break, with Bucko and Dawkins presumably back in the reckoning, I expect us to bounce back after the lacklustre draw against Millwall.

• Can Bucko return when the team's kept four successive clean sheets?
  • With Hendrick fit, there's a decision to be made in midfield
  • Is it still Ward and Ibe to start in the wide positions?
  • And, dare I say it, is Best really worth a place on the bench?

Meanwhile, good luck to Martin, Forsyth, Bryson, Ward, Hendrick, Keogh, Hughes, Ibe, Thomas (and Sammon, and I've probably missed some others!) away playing for their countries...

My team vs Reading

Grant

Christie            Keogh       Whitbread      Forsyth

Eustace

Bryson            Hughes

Russell                                           Ibe

Martin

You're only saying that because Eustace isn't in it... :lol:

I do have a problem with this I agree lol.

Probably not fair on Eustace but how is it fair on Mascarell.

I honestly believe that Mascarell is the better option but McClaren doesn't .

That's Football for you a manager brings in a player and then decides whether he he plays or not.

A bit like Cloughie was with Maguire who I see scored again for Sheffield Wednesday

It's all about opinions right or wrong.

Managers stand or fall by their decisions .

I'm just a fan

I do have a problem with this I agree lol.

Probably not fair on Eustace but how is it fair on Mascarell.

I honestly believe that Mascarell is the better option but McClaren doesn't .

That's Football for you a manager brings in a player and then decides whether he he plays or not.

A bit like Cloughie was with Maguire who I see scored again for Sheffield Wednesday

It's all about opinions right or wrong.

Managers stand or fall by their decisions .

I'm just a fan

Mascarell will start when he is better than Eustace which at the minute he isn't, otherwise McClaren would start him.

It really is that simple.

Russell made more of an impact when he came on, looked good whenever he's come off the bench so earned a first team spot now.

Ward is our top scorer still, and would have one more goal if it wasn't for the refereeing stupidity on Tuesday.

I could make a more convincing case to drop Ibe. He's very talented and good on the ball but he seems to struggle in patches when he starts. Bring him on at half time if we need him?

Don't understand why you would drop Ward of all people...

Ward is our top scorer still, and would have one more goal if it wasn't for the refereeing stupidity on Tuesday.

I could make a more convincing case to drop Ibe. He's very talented and good on the ball but he seems to struggle in patches when he starts. Bring him on at half time if we need him?

Don't understand why you would drop Ward of all people...

Didn't think Ibe struggled yesterday. Admittedly he should have buried his chance where he was 1 on 1 but that was an exception to what I thought was a good performance.

Ward goes through scoring patches. He had 3 attempts yesterday that he should have done better with but didn't score. Russell added an extra bit of pace down the right wing and seemed to create more chances than Ward did hence my decision to start him.

Mascarell will start when he is better than Eustace which at the minute he isn't, otherwise McClaren would start him.

It really is that simple.

Not sure it is. Thorne waited a long time to oust Eustace, and it couldn't have been until he was 'better than' Eustace. He was probably always better than Eustace, he just needed to be given a proper chance. I think Mac might be being too safe in his choice, and whilst there might be games where Eustace should be picked on a horses for courses basis, against Millwall and Bournemouth I think a higher tempo CDM like Mascarell would have been the better option.

Grant, Christie, Shotton, Keogh, Forsyth, Eustace Hughes, Bryson, Ibe, Martin, Ward

I think Eustace may add that extra bite in away games. I'd definitely start Omar at home though, the ball needs to move quicker and in a forward direction.

I like Reading, but hate our record against them. They seem to have a hoodoo over us, especially at the Madejski. It's not that we usually lose there, but we're usually hammered there.

They've got loads of potential but results-wise they've not had the best of starts. Nigel Adkins is a n0b.

A win would certainly make up for the draw against Millwall, but I can see us getting turned over. 2-1 them.

Dawkins was looking really very good before he got hurt. Put him and Ibe in there and see what happens ... seems like he is a forgotten man on here but Mac has been pleased about his more recent play.

Not sure it is. Thorne waited a long time to oust Eustace, and it couldn't have been until he was 'better than' Eustace. He was probably always better than Eustace, he just needed to be given a proper chance. I think Mac might be being too safe in his choice, and whilst there might be games where Eustace should be picked on a horses for courses basis, against Millwall and Bournemouth I think a higher tempo CDM like Mascarell would have been the better option.

Fair point, McClaren knows what he is going to get from Eustace, a steady, reliable performance whereas Mascarell might still eb a somewhat unknown quantity.

How is it more complex than this: we start the best player in each position?

Because it's not necessarily the best players - the trick is to find the best blend.

Dawkins was looking really very good before he got hurt. Put him and Ibe in there and see what happens ... seems like he is a forgotten man on here but Mac has been pleased about his more recent play.

I said yesterday that Dawkins is becoming a better player the longer he doesn't play (subtle, eh?), so I've not forgotten him.

Archived