Reading v Derby County

PrivateDerby

Don't be silly , Bryson played today not well and that's the type of guy he is , as for Jeff he's very unlucky but the bench it is and if he replaces anyone it won't be Bryson , he will need to wait till eustace is suspended by the looks of it

Interesting dilemma coming up for Steve.

Bryson's consistency is not in doubt. He rarely drops below 7/10.

Hughes is now the best player in the league. Despite being one of the most skilfull and intelligent players in the division, he also works his socks off for the team.First name on the team sheet if fit.

Jeff Hendrick gets better every year. He is now looking confident, cool in possession and strong. His touch and awareness has improved to the point where he should start every game, again, if fit.

Steve will, in my opinion, try and rotate the three. How quickly the games come round they will all need a rest.

If Bryson has a knock then Hendrick and Hughes will have the shirts and the team will not be weakened one iota.

Its a great position to be in. 

Today, when Ward and Bryson had to go off to be replaced by Russell and Hendrick, in a difficult away match, Steve must have known he could just as easily as started them the other way round.

Like i say, we are in a good place right now and with our work ethic coupled with the sheer class we possess we can only improve.

As much as you love Bryso mate, he's not guaranteed a start ahead of Hughes and Hendrick, but, we need all of them to get out of this division.

Happy days.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brilliant result,great position in league.There is nothing to moan about even for a hard,experienced

pessimist like me.Even those games that we didn't win and thought we could have,looking

back we find that they are causing problems to the other teams as well.

Keep doing what we are doing and we are top 2.(still think we need cover for Martin)

Dare I say it, McClaren is instilling an attitude into the Rams squad like he did at Man Utd. Quite frankly, these players do not consider the possibility of losing a game. They know individually that if you are not on your game then you are the next substitute and someone wants your shirt badly. Every footbaler likes winning football games and they are there to be one, There is a mentality that this may be the purple patch in their career when they enjoyed playing football more than any other time in their lives.

Slightly flattering win, probably 3-2 would have been about right for me but their defence isn't really up to scratch so will be holding them back this season I feel, the lad Hector at the back seems like a Ferdinand type with the ball skills but not sure his actual defending cuts the mustard yet.

Grant 7 - good game, got lucky with one or two he pushed out though

Christie 7 - solid attacking and defending, ridiculous booking imo when he returned the ball to exact spot throw in was taken from

Forsyth 7 - solid and got better as it went on after a few stray passes early

Keogh 6 - didn't think we were at our strongest at the back early doors but they didn't take chances

Whitbread 6 - dived in a few times and started a bit shakily but got better

Eustace 7 - good holding game from the old pro, usual one mistimed challenge for booking

Bryson 6 - covered ground well and had hand in second goal, other times it didn't quite happen

Hughes 8 - some sublime passes at times though seemed to play a bit deeper

Martin 7 - two more goals, should have had hat trick, cant argue with that

Ibe 7 - great goal but at other times seemed to take wrong decision

Ward 6 - steady enough game until hamstring went I presume

Subs

Shotton 6 - didn't do much wrong, has the physicality

Russell 6 - wasn't involved for long periods but had a hand in third goal

Hendrick 6 - got on the ball a fair few times after coming on near end

We don't have a god given right to play sublime football every game and take a winning result from it. Some people on here seem to think we do.

Today we were average. Two brilliant bits of football for our second and third goals but we were average.

But you know what, we won, and we won with a three nil score line. So the wrist slashers who are moaning can go drink the fifteen cans and have a night out in Nottingham.

I am exceptionally happy that we are today unbeaten in ten, sitting second in the league, with a brilliant squad, strength in depth, and haven't conceded in 4/5 games.

Just be happy and grateful people that our club is on the up.

From a Reading fan on their forum:

"Hector was excellent then atrocious, then excellent then atrocious. It will come with time, but he needs to even it out a bit."

This is how I saw him, he may be ok in a few years but needs to get the basics right first before trying fancy flicks and the like.

I am upgrading my view of Chris Martin. He missed a medium chance then an absolute stone cold sitter, as Mac said, but his near post header from the corner was all him, and his final finish was class, chipping the goalie. We'd like to see more of that. The ref awarded his flops with free kicks, so that was good selling on his part, and the one pass he made where he just kicked it out of touch was ridiculously bad. I still maintain that pretty much any DCFC striker would bag as many goals given the stellar midfield and wing backs he has behind him, but today he showed he could manufacture 2 goals pretty much by himself, so he stepped it up a level today.

And man of the match today was HUGHES ... sorry to Grant and Martin who both did really well at both ends, but Boy Wonder just owned that pitch again. I did spot him lose the ball once though so that was a bit of a new experience but it was close to a 50-50 challenge so we will forgive him that one. I also thought Eustace had a very good game. Hendrick looked very hungry when he came on.

As others have pointed out, the score should have been 4-2 to us ... they had 2 easy goal chances and one crossbar but we missed one too (courtesy of Martin). Solid away performance. We didn't control the entire game with passing but we showed major flashes of it; they actually had a pretty good game plan and they came at us but we never looked in real trouble once we'd scored.  

The main reason Martin plays is because the ball sticks with him. That and because he drops deeper and gives that midfield support.

Not fair to judge entirely on chances because even when he's nowhere near scoring he's probably off giving us an anchor to attack from.

Today, take away the goals and the chances and he was very good. If he can do that but only take 50% of his chances then we'll be laughing.

I'd say that was us at 75%.

If you can go away from home and play at 75% and win 3-0 then that'll do me.

I understand some of the criticism, not all of it though.

We want Derby consistently giving another 10% or more. Drop a few of those 100% like the Brighton 2nd leg in and we can cruise.

It's just hard with so many games and all that goes on. We've got 10(?) players that represent their country now.

Going to Reading has always been uncomfortable. So yeah, I think going there, playing at 70-75%, giving away 5/6 chances but creating 4/5 and having equal possession will do nicely.

We're going to see more performances of that level unfortunately. That's the nature of the already 50plus game season we're in. Let's just hope they're few and all end like this.

Shows how good we are when we're not used to even games. We dominate our games so often whether it be possession or just sitting comfortably creating chances when they come or both

Today was just a bit more even.

Telling you, Champions. Pick on Dawkins, Ward, Russell, Martin, Eustace... whoever. Our ***** is still decent. Imagine what level some of our opponents can dip to.

I'd say that was us at 75%.

If you can go away from home and play at 75% and win 3-0 then that'll do me.

I understand some of the criticism, not all of it though.

We want Derby consistently giving another 10% or more. Drop a few of those 100% like the Brighton 2nd leg in and we can cruise.

It's just hard with so many games and all that goes on. We've got 10(?) players that represent their country now.

Going to Reading has always been uncomfortable. So yeah, I think going there, playing at 70-75%, giving away 5/6 chances but creating 4/5 and having equal possession will do nicely.

We're going to see more performances of that level unfortunately. That's the nature of the already 50plus game season we're in. Let's just hope they're few and all end like this.

Shows how good we are when we're not used to even games. We dominate our games so often whether it be possession or just sitting comfortably creating chances when they come or both

Today was just a bit more even.

Telling you, Champions. Pick on Dawkins, Ward, Russell, Martin, Eustace... whoever. Our ***** is still decent. Imagine what level some of our opponents can dip to.

. Totally agree.... Who would you rather have off the bench... Cwyka.... Freeman.... Blackstock.... Cox?

. Totally agree.... Who would you rather have off the bench... Cwyka.... Freeman.... Blackstock.... Cox?

What's great too is we had 3 players go off with injuries, 1 defender, midfielder and attacker and we don't need to panic.

If I had one complaint right now it would probably be about Ibe trying to show off a bit. He obviously wants to stand out and impress his club but he's slightly annoying.

But that's it. I think we can afford a show off.

What's great too is we had 3 players go off with injuries, 1 defender, midfielder and attacker and we don't need to panic.

If I had one complaint right now it would probably be about Ibe trying to show off a bit. He obviously wants to stand out and impress his club but he's slightly annoying.

But that's it. I think we can afford a show off.

Think they will come with some maturity as the season goes on.... Another half a dozen games and I think he will start to use his brain a bit more.... Still, scored two important goals already

Think they will come with some maturity as the season goes on.... Another half a dozen games and I think he will start to use his brain a bit more.... Still, scored two important goals already

Yeah I bet you're right. His goal was brilliant yesterday. Sent the defender to Lee Grant!!

Less is more sometimes Jordon!!

Once he's settled on the ball he takes some tackling doesn't he! Thought Dawkins had some sticky feet!!

Yeah I bet you're right. His goal was brilliant yesterday. Sent the defender to Lee Grant!!

Less is more sometimes Jordon!!

Once he's settled on the ball he takes some tackling doesn't he! Thought Dawkins had some sticky feet!!

good times.... Dawkins is good to bring on last twenty/thirty

Archived