If the season could finish tomorrow, would you take it?

Bris Vegas

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a no from me an' all. Though still early days season-wise, we're starting to see the wheat being sorted from the chaff.

I believe we're building up momentum now and if I must be honest I'll be disappointed to finish fourth come May. 

The only good thing about the play off final for me was it brought some new members to the forum, though not the ones with sad stories on the scrounge for tickets you understand.

I'll still stick with my prediction of finishing second...though we won't mention who I had going up as winners as it's looking like I'm going to be way off the mark with that one.  :(

The way we are going, we are absolutely going to cruise to the title...so no, I wouldn't settle for it right at this moment in time.

Forget about Forest and Norwich ... they can't live with us, and will be caught in our slip stream. We are the classiest side in this division by a million acres.

Get used to the idea Derby fans and stop hedging your bloody bets so much.

Yes, of course, patience is the biggest virue in football, but make no bones about it ... we are very, very, very good side.

No way. We are playing great football, we are gonna have highs and lows over the season but I wouldn't trade any of them for the pride when we are top of the league on the last day!

Enjoy the season. If we do go up I can promise you it won't be as enjoyable as next year, so make the most of it.

No chance. Even if the trees weren't second and would be going up automatically!

Look at oddschecker and we're now (longest) 5-1 to win the league, behind Norwich at 4.5 but miles ahead of anyone else (for instance gumps are 10-1). Look at other forums and no one thinks their team's playing well and everyone points to Derby as being the team to beat/copy/follow. This is going to be a great season and we'll win the league by a decent margin. According to Squawka we're comfortably the best team in the league right now and have hardly broken sweat. According to WhoScored we're just scraping the tag of best team in the league.

We all know there's so much more to come from our team. Let's enjoy it and watch as we climb the table.

• 1 year later...

I remember asking this sometime last season while we were in the playoffs. And most, including me, said no they wouldn't take a playoff spot considering our position at the time.

I wonder if there's a different feeling now.

Would you take a playoff spot now if offered? I think we stand a better chance of top two this time around, but after last season I can't rule out another implosion.

Ipswich and Sheff Wed are going from strength to strength, I expect both to finish around mid 70s. 

Could we possibly miss out on the playoffs altogether this year? It would take one wretched run of form to do it but we have plenty of experience when it comes to disappointments.

So... Would you take 3rd - 6th now if it was offered?

7 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I remember asking this sometime last season while we were in the playoffs. And most, including me, said no they wouldn't take a playoff spot considering our position at the time.

Would you take a playoff spot now if offered? I think we stand a better chance of top two this time around, but after last season I can't rule out another implosion.

Ipswich and Sheff Wed are going from strength to strength, I expect both to finish around mid 70s. 

Could we possibly miss out on the playoffs altogether this year? It would take one wretched run of form to do it but we have plenty of experience when it comes to disappointments.

We're on 47 points so to fail to get at least mid 70s would imply gaining fewer than say 27 to 28 points from our remaining 23 matches. 

I've got to say that I see that as highly unlikely given the fortitude we've seen this season. We appear much better equipped to cope with any bumps in the road. 

So I'm out,  thanks.

You'd have to go back to 1997-98 to find a season where a team has achieved anything more than 87 points and not got automatically promoted. So if you wanted to set a 'guaranteed' benchmark, you'd have to go with 87 points. It would mean we need 40 points from 23 games, so we don't even need to replicate what we've done in this half of the season, even with a poor opening five games, to expect automatic promotion.

Would be silly to settle for play-offs at this stage. We're 5 points better off than we were this time last year.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

not at all - i think the Rams will make two signings (one a loan ) in Jan window - to reinforce our push - i expect we can make top 2. I have the confidence in that

settle for play offs?

no chance, as for one, my heart couldnt take another play off final,but mainly because i have so much more faith in clements style of management and his ability to continue to run a tight ship,which will allow to remain consistent in our results.we may not be hitting the artistic highs of the mclaren era but we are far more likely to hit and remain in the top two with the current style of play

Archived