Derby County v Reading

PrivateDerby

I thought Best was shocking.

No better than Sammon.

Worse than Theo

He was no John O'Hare, that's for certain - but as soon as Martin came on he looked far more certain in a 4-4-2. I just don't think he's a 'back to goal' player. Holding it up? No chance. Flick-ons? There you go. Not his fault he was asked to play a 'foreign' role. 

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was no John O'Hare, that's for certain - but as soon as Martin came on he looked far more certain in a 4-4-2. I just don't think he's a 'back to goal' player. Holding it up? No chance. Flick-ons? There you go. Not his fault he was asked to play a 'foreign' role. 

Indeed it's like asking Chris Martin to play on the shoulder of the last defender and chase through balls. Best is better playing with a strike partner.

Agree with what's been said about Best. He certainly isn't Martin, that's for sure...

that said, last night, he couldn't control it, couldn't stand up and even managed to fall over the ball once or twice.

Everyone has one of those days though.

Lot of positives last night. 

Roos looks an able deputy for Grant, a real man mountain. Made a couple of great saves. Has a good kick and throw on him for getting attacks started. Think he may well be our number one soon.

Defence all played well. Christie has been an absolute revelation. Centre backs look solid. Fozzy good going forward first half, had a shaky 10 minutes second half and started giving ball away.

Hughes running games now on a regular basis and Bryson beginning to look an attacking threat again. Still not sold on Mascarrell, he reads the game well and looks a decent passer but I sometimes wonder if the pace is too frantic for him, would never have him down as being on the fringes of the Real Madrid squad! Ibe looked fantastic and I really do wonder what he is doing here, perhaps needs to work on final ball at times but he just beats men for fun. Good to see Russell on scoresheet, it seemed to give him a bit more confidence because for me he has been the most consistent under performer so far this season.

Only negative, as everyone has alluded to was the performance of Best. It must be hard getting very little game time and then all of a sudden playing the focal role in the team. That being said his control, passing and shooting were all very poor and that cannot be blamed on the position he was playing in.

Also thought Dawkins looked excellent in a central role when he came on and think that suits him more than playing out wide where, inevitably, he cuts in on his right foot every time he gets the ball.

Good performance and good result for confidence. We need to get out of this falling to sleep after half time though.

The 49-year-old [Adkins] is quoted by BBC Sport as saying: "Against a team who play excellent possession football, I thought it was us who were in control of the game at that time.

"Unfortunately, the goal changes the complexion. It's a great bit of wing play leading into the second goal which is unfortunately a deflection - the second one in two games now against us."

Interesting. We had all the ball, but they were controlling the game. I've never witnessed that before, but then again I wasn't there last night.

Gutted I've missed out on an Adkins tactical masterclass. 

The 49-year-old [Adkins] is quoted by BBC Sport as saying: "Against a team who play excellent possession football, I thought it was us who were in control of the game at that time.

"Unfortunately, the goal changes the complexion. It's a great bit of wing play leading into the second goal which is unfortunately a deflection - the second one in two games now against us."

Interesting. We had all the ball, but they were controlling the game. I've never witnessed that before, but then again I wasn't there last night.

Gutted I've missed out on an Adkins tactical masterclass.

He's only on about the time at which we scored. They had a spell from 50-65 minutes where they were in the ascendancy and the goal stopped that.

We controlled the overall game though.

Agree with what's been said about Best. He certainly isn't Martin, that's for sure...

that said, last night, he couldn't control it, couldn't stand up and even managed to fall over the ball once or twice.

Everyone has one of those days though.

Maybe Best was a little bit edgy that there could be a Sammon loan recall now that he has hit a rich vein of scoring. It must be a concern.

I thought Shotton might come in at CB straight after Bucko was ruled out rather then Whitbread.  Shotton looked good positionally against the trees for the most part, just got undone on pace.  Sounds like he did a good job last night so will be interesting to see who plays there on Saturday.

I think my Liverpool mates would like Ibe back!

Roos 8 - good frame and concentration

Christie 6 - one big lapse but that apart did well enough

Forsyth 6 - slightly better than of late

Keogh 7 - led the team well

Shotton 7 - did enough to keep his place

Mascarell 7 - passed very well, jury out on physical side, happy enough for him to start a home game

Bryson 8 - was everywhere first half, energetic display

Hughes 8 - dictated a lot of the play while he was on

Best 4 - couldn't control the ball at any stage

Russell 7 - kept going and got his reward with good finish

Ibe 8 - looked the most potent threat, surely will start at Bolton

Subs

Martin 7 - showed class with touch to set Russell free for goal

Dawkins 7 - again looked comfortable playing infield

Eustace 6 - just came on to steady the ship in closing stages

Also, I wasn't there and haven't seen the game yet, but I think people should take it easy on Best.

I saw someone write on Twitter 'Best was garbage as usual' - Now, I heard he had a shocker tonight, and that's fine as people have bad days, but I can't recall him ever doing poorly for us since he has been here before today.

I just hope it's not one of those performances that ends up being the be all and end all of a player. He has a lot to offer, in my opinion.

Best had a poor game but people saying bring back Sammon really haven't got a clue, It was Best who flicked on a header for Martin to lay off Russell for the goal. Thought he has looked lively whenever he came on this season.

Archived