Derby County v Reading

PrivateDerby

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shotton also outstanding I thought, looked a lot more comfortable in centre half than right back. IMO would start infront of Whitbread. Martin proving again now pivotal he is for us with his assist for the first and running to make the second own goal. Jordan ibe looks very very good, tough shout for McClaren on who to play on the wings as all the wingers did well tonight. Would of liked to have seen Calero enter but wasn't to be

1st half just like Saturday, 1st 5 mins of second good, 10 dodgy mins, then daddy Martin on to seal it. Best can't even dive as well as Chrissy, but was a great flick on to Martin for the 1st goal. Omar looked better to me when we went 442, Hughes 3rd great game in a row, wouldn't be surprised to see him, Ibe and Christie make full internationals one day.

Also, I wasn't there and haven't seen the game yet, but I think people should take it easy on Best.

I saw someone write on Twitter 'Best was garbage as usual' - Now, I heard he had a shocker tonight, and that's fine as people have bad days, but I can't recall him ever doing poorly for us since he has been here before today.

I just hope it's not one of those performances that ends up being the be all and end all of a player. He has a lot to offer, in my opinion. 

Looked like Gunter sheet himself every ibe was on the ball.

Reading put two or three players on him - didn't make any difference. It was his ball, and he didn't want them to play with it.

Best is not a centre forward who can play the role Martin can. No matter how you dress it up. He can't play that role it is not his game. It is easy to slate him and have done with it but you might as well ask Forsyth to play in goal and then complain that he is not as good as Grant. It is one area we are weak in if our main man is out.

You could see how much he was frustrated as well and it was certainly not through lack of effort it did not come off for him tonight.

Best is not a centre forward who can play the role Martin can. No matter how you dress it up. He can't play that role it is not his game. It is easy to slate him and have done with it but you might as well ask Forsyth to play in goal and then complain that he is not as good as Grant. It is one area we are weak in if our main man is out.

You could see how much he was frustrated as well and out certainly was not through lack of trying that it did not come off for him.

Good point. Not many can do what Chris Martin does. If we play Best then we have to go more direct, there is no cover for Martin at the club. The nearest would have been Bennett imo. He has the strength to play as a holding cf like Martin, whether he has the touch? maybe not but i think he's the closest we've got.

I thought we looked quite good that time when McClaren had Martin playing behind Best. Like a no.10.

What game was that?

Not that I want to see McClaren try to accommodate Best. Just that they worked quite well for that brief period. It wasn't very long.

Martin has played that role before. For Palace with Murray and didn't he also do that for Holt at Norwich?

Archived