Bid from Burnley rejected for Richard Keogh - SSN

DEL

I'm not Keogh's biggest fan and I wouldn't despair over his departure, to be honest. I don't think he is good enough for the Premier League, which is where we want to be at the end of the day. He would have to be replaced sooner or later.

However the club have endeavoured to tie down key players in the current first team to long-term contracts, so I don't see why Keogh would be any different, given that he has one year left on his deal and he is our captain, our first-choice centre back and we don't have much depth in his position.

I would expect him to sign a new contract shortly but it'd be understandable if he pushed for a move. The prospect of Premier League football is too hard to resist for most players. If that's the case, the club shouldn't stand in his way and to be honest, given his contract situation, if we could get

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not had chance to read all the posts on this, but if they've made 2 bids for him, then we're clearly not slamming the door in their faces.

If we're not selling, then they would have stopped at 1 bid

Seems like there's a dialogue that 'might' end up with him going.

And if we're willing to get more than 1.5m for him (I.e

Feel really sorry for Burnley fans seeing their board/owners being so negative and pessimistic. They are coming straight back down I think. They are a Premier League club, not a tiny pub team. They CAN afford big signings and they can attract players. I don't think they fully understand the pull of the Premier League and the attraction that has to foreign as well as domestic players. Like one guy says:

"

Could this happen: Manchester United sign a CB that they desperately need, they then allow Michael Keane to leave. Derby sign him and then allow Keogh to talk to Burnley. Sometimes transfers and contracts get dragged out because waiting on movements of other clubs! 

Could this happen: Manchester United sign a CB that they desperately need, they then allow Michael Keane to leave. Derby sign him and then allow Keogh to talk to Burnley. Sometimes transfers and contracts get dragged out because waiting on movements of other clubs! 

Been there, done that. Couldn't cut it - nowhere near as good as Keogh or Bucko.

You want to replace the club captain with a CB loanee from the prem. Not thanks, Keane was awful. Rather keep Mr "average".

It doesn't really matter what I want.

And using Keane as a single example of a poor premiership loanee, when we had Wisdom and particularly Thorne proving that you can get a real Gem from the premiership, might suggest that it's not a terrible idea, wouldn't you say?

Been there, done that. Couldn't cut it - nowhere near as good as Keogh or Bucko.

I agree at this time he isn't as good but he is the right side of 25. McClaren says the clubs philosophy is to develop players. I think Keogh has developed as much as he can. I think with the right coaching Keane is a good prospect. I think Keogh offers experience and that is great but then I think Buxton has got the experience we need. Now it's about developing talent and that can be done with Whitbread and maybe Keane.

It doesn't really matter what I want.

And using Keane as a single example of a poor premiership loanee, when we had Wisdom and particularly Thorne proving that you can get a real Gem from the premiership, might suggest that it's not a terrible idea, wouldn't you say?

Noted, but would you rather not risk it now? Keogh can do a job at this level, and someone obviously think he can in the prem for 1.5 - 2 million. You won't find any better than that for this price.

Noted, but would you rather not risk it now? Keogh can do a job at this level, and someone obviously think he can in the prem for 1.5 - 2 million. You won't find any better than that for this price.

I just think if he wants to go and we get offered 2mil for him, then the club have proved that they're currently savvy eno

I agree at this time he isn't as good but he is the right side of 25. McClaren says the clubs philosophy is to develop players. I think Keogh has developed as much as he can. I think with the right coaching Keane is a good prospect. I think Keogh offers experience and that is great but then I think Buxton has got the experience we need. Now it's about developing talent and that can be done with Whitbread and maybe Keane.

That's a good philosophy as 'one for the future' - but not as an immediate replacement, which was the point you were making.

Archived