Burnley look to revive a bid for Richard Keogh - Daily Mail

Ambitious

I've always thought Keogh looked really nervous on the ball. I just get constant images of his kit photo shoot...

For me I think Whitbread has shown enough in his 2 games to warrant giving him a first team chance. Even before we got done over by the Wheeler Dealer's team bus at Wembley I had Keogh marked as a player who makes howlers.

Buckfast or Eust for captain in my eyes. While Eust may lack the flair of Thorne he still does his CDM pretty damn fvcking well. I think the CDM position is the ideal place on the pitch to be captaining from as well.

Personally I think we would be better in defence without Keogh.

It was all going so well until that last sentence. Shame, that.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was all going so well until that last sentence. Shame, that.

Not quite sure how the last sentence spoiled it when it all sort of lead up to that.

Then I guess you have to ask how would that all lead up to us being BETTER in defence with Keogh? I played a few points out saying how he would be no loss yet in that last sentence you're all of a sudden saying he would be?

Even before Wembley I was saying to all around me Keogh out. Lead the captaincy from CDM which is a more pivotal position. Leave Her Majesty's Ship Buxton as our ship of the line - his cries of "MINE!! MINE!!" on the goal line against Fulham stirred homosexual thoughts I never had.

So, as I said, I claim our defence is better without Keogh.

I think Keogh is an honest pro who always gives 100% He does have weaknesses and his physical strength isn't what I would want from a centre half. This means an aggressive centre forward will always cause him problems. That being said, we saw a few times last year how his partnership with Buxton was a stronger combination than any of the others we tried.

So, the two aspects of him leaving which concern me most are how any new defensive partnership will bed in (it may take time) and how the loss of the club captain will impact on the squad. Remember, this is the guy who delivers every dressing-room talk. If he is loved and respected by the players, his loss could be a negative.

I say these things only because the loss of a player has other implications and those who simply say 'get rid' based on perhaps his Wembley error or occasional bad games (from which he has consistently bounced back) should remember his importance within the club both in one of the most important playing positions and in his capacity as a leader of men.

Remember, this is the guy who delivers every dressing-room talk. 

Actually that's not quite true... after the brief stint Keogh was out last year I'm pretty sure Smacca gave pre-game talk responsibilities to Bucko... DET made a big deal about it...

Still we need to keep Keogh... We are NOT a selling club... we don't need

I don't want Keogh to go. After Mac et al arrived we had the 3rd (?) best defence in the league. BUT....if he does not want to sign a new contract on Rush's/Mac's terms we should trust them as they have not made any errors so far. If an offer of profit came in with only one year left on his contract, and Mac has a replacement ( new or otherwise ), we would be foolish to accept as we don't have the PL millions yet.

In retrospect I reckon Keogh is going in this transfer window allegedly.

Reason being is that as others have said he hasn't signed a new contract and the club don't seem in the slightest bit worried about it and look like they will except a decent offer for him .

I would be very unhappy if he goes as I think he's been great for Derby County but that's just my views and it doesn't seem the majority view for some reason.

It all depends on his contract situation.

I would prefer we don't sell him.  He's our captain, an experienced voice in the dressing room and has a good partnership with Bucko. Ok, he has been known to make the odd error but show me a defender that hasn't.  He's definitely not a world beater but he isn't quite the weak link that some are making him out to be.

We set our stall at the beginning of the summer, Rush and Mac both said that we wanted to keep this squad together and so far we have managed to do just that.  It would be disappointing to lose one of our more experienced squad members just a few days before the close of the transfer window.

But as I said before, it all depends on his contract situation, it may be that the decision to sell is taken out of our hands if he is reluctant to sign an extension.  If that does happen I hope we have a replacement lined up.

I don't think Keogh is ever going to live down Wembley , shame really .

The only times I have seen it mentioned is people saying he's not going to live it down. He's lived it down and has made a solid start to the season, Charlton penalty aside.

I don't think he's good enough for the Prem but I think he's good enough for a promotion chasing team, so I'd prefer him to stay. If he wants to go, however, then I won't begrudge him.

Purely hypothetically, in contract discussions perhaps he's been seeking assurances that he'll be first choice in the Prem, and we can't offer him that, and have told him he'll be a backup. That might be giving him itchy feet.

Archived