Burnley look to revive a bid for Richard Keogh - Daily Mail

Ambitious

Bad things can happen to a close group likes ours when you sell your captain. We don't need the money and he's good enough for promotion. No deal

Well we have Whitbread and Buxton and his error the other day was pretty upsetting ... move him for anything over 1.5m.  Any way we can swap him for Shackell? :p 

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, only stupid would turn down about 2 millions. But realistically, what would be sum you would sell him? Especially if conract negotiations have stalled.

But, why? We don't need the money. Promotion is worth so much that we can afford to turn down offers that we might otherwise have accepted. If they offer something silly where we would be guaranteed to strengthen the squad, then ok, but there doesn't seem to be any point to this. I believe this squad is going to take us up, no need to mess with it now.

You would say you would accept

I don't think anyone wants to see Keogh go, necessarily, but he is someone I think has value to sell and could be easily improved on.

People think I don't rate Keogh, but I do, I just don't rate him as high as I rate Buxton, or rated Barker or Shackell. He is a good defender and he is a key part of our team, but I think he could be replaced, and comfortably too. 

I don't want Keogh to go if no one is going to come in, but if there is the possibility of working on something quickly then I wouldn't mind it. Equally, I would be mortified if Keogh was put in the same bracket as Bryson, Martin..etc even Buxton! I think he'll be looking for big money in his next deal, which is fair enough, but if it was my decision I wouldn't entertain the thought.

...easily improved on...

...he's our damn Captain!

...this place disgusts me, I'm out...

And I'm enjoying last days of extremely silly season. Next is just games, no excitment of Thorne/Ibe/German CB etc..

Let's just get promotion done and we can really start being silly again!

I don't think we can be friends.

You call all this exciting?! It's ****** mate. From Michael Owen to Ross McCormack to "is that a frown" on Thorne's face at his first WBA session.

I blame Football Manager!!

I doubt this move will happen, but, out of our whole first team, Keogh is the first one I'd sell. He is a solid Championship centre half but nothing more. As Ambitious has already said he'd be poor in the Premier League and is imo the weakest member (hehe) of our first-choice back four. Provided that we have an equal replacement lined up (maybe transfer, maybe loan), I'd accept an offer of

I don't think anyone wants to see Keogh go, necessarily, but he is someone I think has value to sell and could be easily improved on.

People think I don't rate Keogh, but I do, I just don't rate him as high as I rate Buxton, or rated Barker or Shackell. He is a good defender and he is a key part of our team, but I think he could be replaced, and comfortably too.

I don't want Keogh to go if no one is going to come in, but if there is the possibility of working on something quickly then I wouldn't mind it. Equally, I would be mortified if Keogh was put in the same bracket as Bryson, Martin..etc even Buxton! I think he'll be looking for big money in his next deal, which is fair enough, but if it was my decision I wouldn't entertain the thought.

Ambitious you are losing it if you think Keogh could be easily improved on .

McClaren doesn't feel that way I'm sure.

This is not me trying to catch you out (honestly Bris), just wondering what you make of this, given you've always been vary strongly on the "there's no such thing as a big club, only league position" side of things.

For the record I've often agreed with you - why would you sign for Sheffield Weds over QPR, for example? But Burnley's size seems to be holding them back quite a bit....

I think not so much their size, but rather their ambition is holding them back.

I don't understand their choices of signings, I really don't. Players abroad would jump at the chance at sign for a Premier League outfit, and is Burnley any smaller than Wigan or Blackburn? I'd say no, they all have the same limits and both Wigan/Blackburn made some cracking signings over the years.

But Burnley's stance of trying to sign British-based players means they're in direct competition with fellow PL clubs and given the money they're dishing out, you'd choose Villa or Stoke over them everytime.

I get the impression their scouting network is so bad that Dyche is already planning for next season in the Championship. Regardless of their size, they've not made the most of the fact they are a PL club playing in the most luxurious (money-wise) league in the world.

Er, yes? Have you?

Passing percentage of 92.1%, the best in the squad. 0.5 key passes a game (Hughes is 0.8, and he's a ball-playing midfielder). He also averages more passes than any other player in the team, so you can't say it's an anomaly. And he had similarly impressive stats last season.

But the majority go 5 yards sideways to Bucko or the right back.

I don't think we can be friends.

You call all this exciting?! It's ****** mate. From Michael Owen to Ross McCormack to "is that a frown" on Thorne's face at his first WBA session.

I blame Football Manager!!

You should blame media and people who read rumours. Lots of people to be hated...

In my case, I guess it would be different if I still lived in England. But as I can't get to games enough, I take what I can.

I think not so much their size, but rather their ambition is holding them back.

I don't understand their choices of signings, I really don't. Players abroad would jump at the chance at sign for a Premier League outfit, and is Burnley any smaller than Wigan or Blackburn? I'd say no, they all have the same limits and both Wigan/Blackburn made some cracking signings over the years.

But Burnley's stance of trying to sign British-based players means they're in direct competition with fellow PL clubs and given the money they're dishing out, you'd choose Villa or Stoke over them everytime.

I get the impression their scouting network is so bad that Dyche is already planning for next season in the Championship. Regardless of their size, they've not made the most of the fact they are a PL club playing in the most luxurious (money-wise) league in the world.

Agreed. It is their ambition holding them back. They have a small-time mentality and they are not even trying to sign top players. They don't think they can attract them even though they have PL football and money to offer. Think big Burnley, think big.

But, why? We don't need the money. Promotion is worth so much that we can afford to turn down offers that we might otherwise have accepted. If they offer something silly where we would be guaranteed to strengthen the squad, then ok, but there doesn't seem to be any point to this. I believe this squad is going to take us up, no need to mess with it now.

You would say you would accept

You should blame media and people who read rumours. Lots of people to be hated...

In my case, I guess it would be different if I still lived in England. But as I can't get to games enough, I take what I can.

Well you decided to become Viking. You'll get no sympathy here sir

Archived