Burnley look to revive a bid for Richard Keogh - Daily Mail

Ambitious

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only times I have seen it mentioned is people saying he's not going to live it down. He's lived it down and has made a solid start to the season, Charlton penalty aside.

I don't think he's good enough for the Prem but I think he's good enough for a promotion chasing team, so I'd prefer him to stay. If he wants to go, however, then I won't begrudge him.

Purely hypothetically, in contract discussions perhaps he's been seeking assurances that he'll be first choice in the Prem, and we can't offer him that, and have told him he'll be a backup. That might be giving him itchy feet.

So you say, opinions, like mine.

I believe that subconsciously that is the reason a lot of people want him gone , I have conferred with fellow analogists and they agree with my diagnosis , so there :p  .

The only times I have seen it mentioned is people saying he's not going to live it down. He's lived it down and has made a solid start to the season, Charlton penalty aside.

He was at fault for Charlton's third goal as well. Man free at the far post who Keogh should have been marking yet he was nowhere to be seen...

It's these mistakes that are occuring far too often and they are costing us valuable points.

He was at fault for Charlton's third goal as well. Man free at the far post who Keogh should have been marking yet he was nowhere to be seen...

It's these mistakes that are occuring far too often and they are costing us valuable points.

Yorkshire you are not being fair at all .

This gives me deja vu its just like the Buxton criticism which I was part of.

We all have our views but Keogh and Bucko have been good together .

Look at last season.

If we had a good replacement at the club I would happily let him go if the club could recuperate the money they payed for him, However at this stage I don't feel we have sufficient cover and I very much doubt that SM wants to let him go.

Yorkshire you are not being fair at all .

This gives me deja vu its just like the Buxton criticism which I was part of.

We all have our views but Keogh and Bucko have been good together .

Look at last season.

How is that not being fair?

He was at fault. If it was 1 off game then it wouldn't be an issue but he's making these mistakes increasingly often. Added to this, he's playing alongside Buxton, one of the most consistent and reliable centre backs in the league; he just doesn't look good enough.

Scapegoat selected

How is that not being fair?

He was at fault. If it was 1 off game then it wouldn't be an issue but he's making these mistakes increasingly often. Added to this, he's playing alongside Buxton, one of the most consistent and reliable centre backs in the league; he just doesn't look good enough.

I'm not responding to that other than Keogh is one of my favorite players he's all action 100 percent effort a good defender captain and distributes the ball well from the back setting up attacks.

He works well with Bucko and Whitbread and I just don't see the problem

Keogh made a mistake at Wembley yes his only 1 that day because he got caught in two minds and should of just hacked it clear he knows that but hindsight is an easy thing in retrospect.

We were playing 10 men against QPR for most of the second half and didn't score so how's that Keoghs fault.

We would have won that game 9 times out of 10 and QPR got lucky.

We are not in the Prem we are in the Championship and I just don't see people's gripes with Keogh.

Ever heard the saying "better the devil you know "

I'm not responding to that other than Keogh is one of my favorite players he's all action 100 percent effort a good defender captain and distributes the ball well from the back setting up attacks.

He works well with Bucko and Whitbread and I just don't see the problem

Keogh made a mistake at Wembley yes his only 1 that day.

We were playing 10 men against QPR for most of the second half and didn't score so how's that Keoghs fault.

We are not in the Prem we are in the Championship and I just don't see people's gripes with Keogh.

Ever heard the saying "better the devil you know "

Hypothetically, would you prefer to sell Keogh for 1.5million or sign him on a four year contract at 20k a week?

Hypothetically, would you prefer to sell Keogh for 1.5million or sign him on a four year contract at 20k a week?

20k a week would break Derbys wage structure and you know it.

Keogh or the club have never once said anything to my knowledge about him not wanting to sign a new contract or him wanting to leave or him being unreasonable with his demands.

Would you give Martin 20k a week hypothetically on a 4 year contract lol

20k a week would break Derbys wage structure and you know it.

Keogh or the club have never once said anything to my knowledge about him not wanting to sign a new contract or him wanting to leave or him being unreasonable with his demands.

Would yo give Martin 20k a week hypothetically on a 4 year contract lol

I'd give Martin whatever he likes... I'd build into his contract that he could have a harem of women from Derby to satisfy his every desire... gold plated toilet roll... a 54m long limo to drive him to training every day...

I'd give Martin whatever he likes... I'd build into his contract that he could have a harem of women from Derby to satisfy his every desire... gold plated toilet roll... a 54m long limo to drive him to training every day...

Has Martin improved then since Clough signed him or was he always held in this high regard in football circles.

No he's improved as can Keogh and Bucko and all the Rams players that's what it's about.

Even Sammon whom a lot want rid of can improve.

I'm boring myself here now so Bon voyage for a bit.

Even though I wouldn't be surprised if he is on their radar again, as it was suggested Keogh was an alternative if Burnley didn't sign Dawson from WBA, is there actually anything more to this yet other than a tidbit in the Daily Mail?

It may just be agent stuff whilst they iron out his new contract - personally I would rather he stay, as much for his leadership and dressing room presence as for his footballing abilities - very good professional.

After Mac et al arrived we had the 3rd (?) best defence in the league.

It's quite a misleading statistic.

For the majority of games we controlled the midfield and the back four were well shielded by Eustace and latterly Thorne.

Many teams could not live with us and offered little attacking threat to oppose us, but nethertheless even when we were coasting through a game we were susceptible to letting in soft goals when the opposition did look for a consolation - it didn't matter much because we simply countered them and scored more goals.

We rarely sat back to defend leads, in fact the only time we consciously tried this was against Birmingham, and we let in 3 goals to an awful side.

The goals we did concede last season were rarely individual moments of brilliance from the opposition player, or an impressive/unstoppable team move.

When we faced a team better than us or where we simply couldn't control the midfield and the pressure was on us, such as Leicester away and the first half of Burnley, our defence did not stand firm. When we faced our biggest match of the season, despite controlling the game, at the telling moment our defence did not stand firm.

This season we're facing teams who know what to expect of us, you've already seen Charlton and Sheffield Wednesday get in our faces, one match we got away with some poor defending, the other we let in three poorly defended goals - that's the type of thing that separates automatic promotion from the play-offs. We can't control every match, we need to be able to rely on on defenders even when they are under pressure. At present, we can't.

You'll notice that this isn't solely a post about Keogh.

In summation, we should always be looking to improve our weakest area and sometimes hard decisions have to be made. Ideally our current players will prove their worth even under pressure this season - but the signs so far show them to be a little shaky still.

Almost certainly agent talk.

But, we don't need to sell him for anything less than 3m anyway. We said we wanted to keep the squad together and we need to stick to that. I remember when Keogh was injured for that month and I realised just how much we'd miss him. Was so glad when he returned to the team, because we didn't look the same without him.

How can we tell our players to forget Wembley and put the playoff heartbreak behind them when the fans are plainly refusing to do it along with them?

Archived