Burnley look to revive a bid for Richard Keogh - Daily Mail

Ambitious

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No from me; burnley are sniffing around because there arent that many good proven centre backs available, especially to teams in or around the championship.

He has already shown he is good enough for a team challenging for promotion, so why take the risk replacing a proven player.

We can do that once we have reached the pl and we are a more attractive proposition.

It could be. Just to think FFP and how many players we've got in this summer, it could be very important. If suggestions about Keogh and Sammon are our top earners are true, I wouldn't be suprised to see him go. There's better value for money, IMO.

If we get promoted, FFP doesn't matter (not that we'll be breaking it anyway). Our best chance of promotion is to keep Keogh, unless that German CB happens to be Hummels. 

Well you decided to become Viking. You'll get no sympathy here sir

History lesson: Finland has nothing to do with Vikings. They were Norwegians, Swedish and Danish.

But yeah, no sympathy needed. Life is better here :)

This is not me trying to catch you out (honestly Bris), just wondering what you make of this, given you've always been vary strongly on the "there's no such thing as a big club, only league position" side of things.

For the record I've often agreed with you - why would you sign for Sheffield Weds over QPR, for example? But Burnley's size seems to be holding them back quite a bit....

I think it is their lack ability to pay wages which players want, we offered more for Bryson and they have a pretty stringent wage limit apparently, they'd be better advised to look further adrift for players.

He had only been at the club for 24 hours, only trained with them once.

My only criticism of him was his fitness, thought Christie would come on at some point.

Shotton looks a good acquisition but seemed to rely on Keogh a lot last night .

Keogh and Whitbread both played well last night they never looked in trouble.

We should be happy we have Keogh why would we want Shotton at CB .

I think Shotton might play DM .

If we get promoted, FFP doesn't matter (not that we'll be breaking it anyway). Our best chance of promotion is to keep Keogh, unless that German CB happens to be Hummels. 

I wouldn't say Keogh is bad option at all. But if Macca has someone better lined up, maybe on loan, then I'd defo sell.

Lot's of ifs here..If there offer would come, if it's good enough, if contract negotiations don't go well, if he wants to move, if Burnley can offer good enough salary, if we have someone lined up (well, I'm pretty sure we have plan for every position, at least I hope so) etc..

Thats what I think .

Keogh was telling him where to go on the field at times

Seriously? I was at a different game.

The problem with Keogh is that he hasn't signed a new contract. Derby won't want him to go into the January window with the potential to do a Commons and walk away for next to nothing. If the sides are miles apart in the negotiations then the club will have to think very seriously about any substantial offer that comes in, we can't afford to throw a potentially large payday down the drain.We are a Championship club with limited resources and any player in the last year of his contract who hasn't signed a new deal must seriously be considered for sale. Fans would rightly go ballistic if he signed a pre contract agreement with another club in January and we got little or nothing for him.

Seriously? I was at a different game.

The problem with Keogh is that he hasn't signed a new contract. Derby won't want him to go into the January window with the potential to do a Commons and walk away for next to nothing. If the sides are miles apart in the negotiations then the club will have to think very seriously about any substantial offer that comes in, we can't afford to throw a potentially large payday down the drain.We are a Championship club with limited resources and any player in the last year of his contract who hasn't signed a new deal must seriously be considered for sale. Fans would rightly go ballistic if he signed a pre contract agreement with another club in January and we got little or nothing for him.

Wheres all this conjecture coming from .

I think Keogh will sign on the dotted line for us.

I do hope so

I'd take 1m, but reckon we could squeeze them for 1.5-2 as they're desperate. Would be a good way of relocating the armband.

However,

I am really not a Keogh fan but as has been said he's a decent champ CB and I'm not sure what we'd do with 1.5million? Where do we need to spend it to strengthen? Probably another CB?

It would be a disaster Shotton is unknown at CB he's hardly ever played that role.

Forsyth had never played left back before and has been fantastic there, so the "unknown" argument doesn't get you very far.

I'm not sure where Shotton will play but if McClaren puts him at CB, I'll have faith. Just because a player hasn't played in a particular position before, doesn't mean he won't do well there, and McClaren and co. have brought in some very good players - why should his be any different?

Archived