Burnley look to revive a bid for Richard Keogh - Daily Mail

Ambitious

I'm not responding to that other than Keogh is one of my favorite players he's all action 100 percent effort a good defender captain and distributes the ball well from the back setting up attacks.

He works well with Bucko and Whitbread and I just don't see the problem

Keogh made a mistake at Wembley yes his only 1 that day because he got caught in two minds and should of just hacked it clear he knows that but hindsight is an easy thing in retrospect.

We were playing 10 men against QPR for most of the second half and didn't score so how's that Keoghs fault.

We would have won that game 9 times out of 10 and QPR got lucky.

We are not in the Prem we are in the Championship and I just don't see people's gripes with Keogh.

Ever heard the saying "better the devil you know "

I'm not sure he is that brilliant a defender. He's not physically strong, hasn't got a great aerial presence and his passing isn't as good as Bucko's. 

Keogh, on his day, is a good defender at this level. He showed that in his first season. If he can recapture that form then he'll be more than good enough for the first team but last season he was average (at best) for quite a few games. He's made a better start to this season, bar a poor game against Charlon, so hopefully we should see him back to his best if he doesn't leave.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

20k a week would break Derbys wage structure and you know it.

Keogh or the club have never once said anything to my knowledge about him not wanting to sign a new contract or him wanting to leave or him being unreasonable with his demands.

Would you give Martin 20k a week hypothetically on a 4 year contract lol

Yes, I would. Keogh, I wouldn't want to see on anything more than 10k - possibly what he's on now.

I think Keogh could run down his contract and get that sum of money, will he? I don't know, but I guess a Premier League club would offer him a good deal if there was no transfer fee to pay. 

Fans have a tendency to micro analyse goals thse days and blame the defender if a forward finds a yard of space. Surely the job of a good striker is to lose his marker and give himself room in the box, thats not necessarily the fault of the defender. Watch Match of the Day, players score goals when being marked by some of the best defenders in the world. Sometimes we have to say 'well done, good goal' and not look for someone to blame because he supposedly lost his man.That applies to the third goal at Charlton, the ball was flicked on at the near post and the forward made a well timed run to make sure he was onside, why automatically blame Keogh instead of giving the scorer credit? We will concede more goals this season, lets not look for a scapegoat every time we do.

Yes, I would. Keogh, I wouldn't want to see on anything more than 10k - possibly what he's on now.

I think Keogh could run down his contract and get that sum of money, will he? I don't know, but I guess a Premier League club would offer him a good deal if there was no transfer fee to pay.

I'm back.

So you would offer Martin a 4 year contract on 20k a week.

That's by my sums 4.16 Million pounds.

Where's that money coming from !

Hope he doesn't get injured.

Good defender, tries his best, prone to error.

But for me he wasn't as good as Shackell and no where near as good as Barker :wub:

Id keep him though! Captain and if he starts to lose form we now have good enough players to take the load off his back

Keogh is just as good as Barker and Shackell and they are fairly good players and besides Barker is unluckily out with a long term injury.

Remember Barnsley away with that pair 3 down after 20 minutes and Barnsley fans taking the wot sit out of Shackell.

http://youtu.be/559__4oKhI8

Purely hypothetically, in contract discussions perhaps he's been seeking assurances that he'll be first choice in the Prem, and we can't offer him that, and have told him he'll be a backup. That might be giving him itchy feet.

Or he might just have Athletes Foot?

selling our captain three days before the end of the transfer window would undo everything the club has worked towards this summer. Keeping the team together is vital.

This is a bit melodramatic Ilson - if he does go, don't throw yourself under a horse and carriage.

Has Martin improved then since Clough signed him or was he always held in this high regard in football circles.

He was... yes... That's why it's a bit of a coup we landed him... he HAS got better but I know loads of championship club fans who said they were gutted when we signed him on a free...

Also want to emphasise that I'm on the side of keeping Keogh... #keepkeogh

This is a bit melodramatic Ilson - if he does go, don't throw yourself under a horse and carriage.

I don't understand how it's melodramatic? 

Really we have 3 days to find an adequate replacement for a player we are likely to get less than a million for as he's in the last year of his contract... that's just fxcking stupid. Spent the whole summer sending out the message we are not a selling club so why wouldn't selling a first teamer be awful? 

He was... yes... That's why it's a bit of a coup we landed him... he HAS got better but I know loads of championship club fans who said they were gutted when we signed him on a free...

Also want to emphasise that I'm on the side of keeping Keogh... #keepkeogh

Martin went out on loan from Norwich and wasn't wanted by them.

Not fit enough and too slow for the Premier League they thought.

He's a bit fitter and faster now .

I don't understand how it's melodramatic? 

Really we have 3 days to find an adequate replacement for a player we are likely to get less than a million for as he's in the last year of his contract... that's just fxcking stupid. Spent the whole summer sending out the message we are not a selling club so why wouldn't selling a first teamer be awful?

A) We have more than 3 days to find a replacement - the loan market immediately opens up to us (like it did last year with Wisdom) and who is to say that Mac does not see Shotton as his solution anyway.

B) If we sell before the window closes we will get comfortably

A) We have more than 3 days to find a replacement - the loan market immediately opens up to us (like it did last year with Wisdom) and who is to say that Mac does not see Shotton as his solution anyway.

Archived