Safe standing gaining momentum

Mountain Ram

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just need the Lib Dems to win the next election.......

It is worth remembering for all those who want to stand at matches currently that it's against the law, so they shouldn't be offended when asked to sit down.

To be fair, the Lib Dems had this as their policy about 6 years ago and then when they got in power, it went the way of the no increases in tuition fees promise.

If they make a coalition government again to stay in power (seems pretty likely) then I guess it'll only get the go ahead if it's with Labour, and even then i'm not sure.

No chance will the Tories accept it.

And in answer to the OP, yes i'm 100% in favour of it. It's rediculous that it's not been re-introduced and the rail seat system just makes it even more of a no brainer.

It'll never happen. Can you imagine the outcry from, for example, the Hillsborough Family Support Group? I mean, they had a guy on Sky Sports News this afternoon spouting the "standing was to blame" line. Never mind how many Liverpool fans stand in front of their seats either at away games or on the Kop at home.....

Wouldn't make a great slogan though:

Safe standing: Like pissing in the sea

I remember when safe standing was gaining momentum, back when Paul Jewell managed us.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a safe standing section in a football league stadium within a year or two. Crowd control is science now, if it works for the Bundesliga it will work in England.

Don't Bristol City have a section at Ashton Gate?

Still can't see it ever happening on a large scale in the top two divisions though - too much politics IMO.

A comprimise would be away clubs have option of seats, standing or a mixture.

Make it standing at the back and seating at the front for those clubs wanting both.

Clubs like Liverpool and Everton could be allocated the full seating option if they desire.

If these sections were allowed, stewards could enforce no standing in seated Areas more realistically and justifiably.

Top tier South Stand would be perfect for safe standing. Political posturing by the Lib Dems, they don't give a toss.

Said it before, unless someone can get the Hillsborough families on side, it won't happen. We can't upset this Hillsborough families too much of a hot potato that. They still seem to think it's the 80s ffs.

Don't Bristol City have a section at Ashton Gate?

Still can't see it ever happening on a large scale in the top two divisions though - too much politics IMO.

They do but I believe they aren't allowed to use it, the rail seats have been put in for the Rugby team.

Stupid, I know...

Top tier South Stand would be perfect for safe standing. Political posturing by the Lib Dems, they don't give a toss.

Said it before, unless someone can get the Hillsborough families on side, it won't happen. We can't upset this Hillsborough families too much of a hot potato that. They still seem to think it's the 80s ffs.

Don't think that's quite true - whilst it is true to say some families will always argue against standing, there are some who say that standing did not kill the victims, other factors did.

But they are united in their view that standing could undermine the safety of fans (which has been very evident) since the Taylor recommendations. It has to be said that there have been no incidents at stadiums since, because it's one fan, one seat now, impossible to overcrowd, it'd be spotted straightaway.

But saying that however, the way safe standing is done, seats are still there, so entry rules would still be the same wouldn't they? One fan per seat? And the barriers would stop crushes occuring anyway. My view is standing in the seated areas as they are now can be seen as dangerous, there's nothing except the person in front to stop you falling which goes against arguments to stand up.

Safe standing barriers seem the common sense solution to me. Just change SS to standing, everywhere else seated.

Archived